Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree27Likes
  • 18 Post By roig cat
  • 2 Post By pollensa
  • 7 Post By Mark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-02-2012, 15:29

Default A week in February 2012

We had originally booked a week in Galacia and planned to walk some of the 'Way of St James' BUT on return from a fantastic walking weekend in November in Pollensa, we cancelled our plans and booked for a week in February to Pollensa instead. Our decision was influenced by the knowledge that unless we changed are plans we potentially would not visit Pollensa until 2013! (well that's what the other half thinks, I have a plan brewing!)

Well anyway, we arrived last Sunday to be greeted by hail and snow! I had seen the weather forcast beforehand and not in the habit of travelling light I had packed hot water bottles, slippers, gloves, hats and scarves along with ski jackets, walking boots and long johns! The villa we stayed in had a log burner and hot AC units but we hired a radiator for Multi Hire as well as I do not like being cold. That did the trick and our villa was snug and warm.

It did hail again on Monday evening (I was out for a run and it took me by surprise, ouch it hurt!) but after the that the weather was perfect for what we planned to do. Tuesday (rain) was our daughters 12 birthday so we went to the aquarium and then lunch in Valdamossa. Valdamossa was still covered in snow, lots of the Money Trees had been frost bitten and I'm afraid will need to be cut back. I thought that only happened here?
Weds to Sat were days of sun, cloud and light wind, We got out and about every day, usually with a long walk followed by Menu Del Dia late in the afternoon and curling up with a DVD and bottle of wine in the evening. We also hired bikes and cycled for miles. Oh, and we ate plenty of cakes and that lovely thick hot cholcolate the spanish make. We needed our energy.

Walks around the Pollensa area included, Cala Murta, Cala Boquer, Fonts Des Ufanes and Na Blanca peak.
On Wednesday following a walk near Soller, we came back on the just re-opened M10 for Soller to Pollensa. The views of the mountains covered in snow was amazing. The snow was very deep around the two reservoirs. We had planned a walk up there but it was impossible without skis. The snow didnt deter the cyclists, they were up there as soon as the road opened.

I appreciate that this type of holiday is not to everyone's liking but we love the area out of season; the food in the restaurants is nicer somehow, not as rushed and touristy. The locals tend to assume that you speak Spanish so a little knowledge of the language helps , I assume that the waiting staff in the summer are employed for their mutli lingual skills and not needed in winter?
Well it's back to work tomorrow, batteries re charged! If I get around to it later this week, (once ironing done) Ill post some pics of the snow on Flikr.
pollensa, sws97sdg, Mark and 15 others like this.

Last edited by roig cat; 20-02-2012 at 15:32. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 20-02-2012, 15:39
Super Moderator

I am so glad you had a good time despite the cold weather, thank you for telling us about your visit and i look forward to seeing the pics .
Old 20-02-2012, 15:52
Founder

Thank you for that report. It just shows that you can have a holiday in Mallorca at any time of year!
JMD40 and lollipop like this.
Old 20-02-2012, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by roig cat View Post
The locals tend to assume that you speak Spanish so a little knowledge of the language helps , I assume that the waiting staff in the summer are employed for their mutli lingual skills and not needed in winter?
So my Spanish lessons won't be a waste of time after all, good! I'll be there right through next winter
Old 21-02-2012, 08:36

Wow - what a week
Old 29-02-2012, 09:19

They say a week in politics is a long time, so it would seem is a week in pollensa. I was there the following week and once the north wind stopped after the first 2 days i had to keep pinching myself to rememeber that this was febuary and not june. (Sunburnt face and arms)
Old 29-02-2012, 10:29

An excellent trip report, makes we want to book something.

It's a while since I have been in February.

For people that have never seen the Mallorca winter blue sky and full sun,
a photo from my Birthday holiday in February 2008, 4 years ago! how time flies...

Formentor beach - February 27th 2008 by Mark G. in England, on Flickr

Another from February 2009:

Villa Vertent - Winter sky - February 2009 by Mark G. in England, on Flickr

A sunset photo taken from the shuttered bathroom window you can see in the picture above^ ( what a lovely view from the bathroom)

Sunset by Mark G. in England, on Flickr

Visit in the winter
Old 29-02-2012, 10:32

Great Sun(rise) Sunset pics. Mark

My FlickR Photos
Old 29-02-2012, 10:32

Fantastic shots Mark

On island time!!
Old 29-02-2012, 10:53
Super Moderator

Lovely pics, thanks for posting them Mark .
Old 29-02-2012, 18:21

Formentor beach looks fantastic on this photo!

The beaches on the peninsular are just gorgeous in the winter, can't say the same for some other beaches though! CSV had a dead dolphin washed up on it!!
Old 29-02-2012, 22:51

I warned a week or two ago that my wife and I were in Pollensa for two weeks from the 9th Feb, true to form our alternate years Feb forecast was correct, last year fantastic, this year a whole tank of central heating fuel, next year will be great! To put the boot in the weather gods made our last day journey to the airport a scorcher! Be warned we are back again in May, last year wall to wall sunshine, this year???
Old 01-03-2012, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornedos rossini View Post
I warned a week or two ago that my wife and I were in Pollensa for two weeks from the 9th Feb, true to form our alternate years Feb forecast was correct, last year fantastic, this year a whole tank of central heating fuel, next year will be great! To put the boot in the weather gods made our last day journey to the airport a scorcher! Be warned we are back again in May, last year wall to wall sunshine, this year???
Oh no We are out in May and have encouraged a couple of our friends to visit at the same time - just hope your 'forecast' doesnt happen again