Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   What's in the news?. (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/8389-whats-news.html)

Sparky 03-02-2012 11:47

What's in the news?.

I read today in the Ultima Hora that the council in Palma wants to end dog droppings in the streets, squares and parks of the city. For five weeks intensive police controls will be watching for "flagrant breaches of the rules".
So it's not just PP that has this problem but it is good to see that the islands councils are aware of the problem and are doing something about it.

Here is the link to the full story http://ultimahora.es/mallorca/notici...as-calles.html

El Gordo 03-02-2012 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 67841)

Hi Sparky

Great News

Is it possible to get an English version or will I have to brush up my Spanglish!! ;)

Sparky 03-02-2012 12:13

Hi Gordon i use Google Translate, it's not exact but gives you a good idea of what it's about ;).

Nick 03-02-2012 12:45

Excellent news......

Impose high fines and use them to finance improvement throughout the island.

It is a disgusting thing and how people have the audacity not to clean up after their dogs I do not know.

clinkham 03-02-2012 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah (Post 67849)
Excellent news......

Impose high fines and use them to finance improvement throughout the island.

It is a disgusting thing and how people have the audacity not to clean up after their dogs I do not know.

Don't forget the cats!:mad: Not pleasant weeding the borders or sweeping up the feathers and carcasses of poor little birdies.:(

Jimbo the Jambo 03-02-2012 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 67841)
I read today in the Ultima Hora that the council in Palma wants to end dog droppings in the streets, squares and parks of the city. For five weeks intensive police controls will be watching for "flagrant breaches of the rules".
So it's not just PP that has this problem but it is good to see that the islands councils are aware of the problem and are doing something about it.

Here is the link to the full story Cort inicia una «batalla» contra los excrementos de perro en las calles » Local » Noticias » Ultima Hora Mallorca

Sparky,

Lazer cannons on every street corner is the answer. Zapp the little devils or better still the could not care less owners.

o.K. an alternative is an on the spot fine.

cheers,

jimbo

pollensacare 03-02-2012 21:11

im real pleased to hear this, since coming to the island this has been one of my main groans, I am a dog owner and find it disgraceful that some owners are irresponsible and inconsiderate of others, not to clean up after their dogs, it is not difficult to carry a small bag with you when you go out, I havent seen any dogs out on their own since I came so there really is no excuse!

Sparky 04-02-2012 11:47

Well PP has managed to miss the snow so i can't take and post any pics but much of the island has had a covering. Here are some photos in the Ultima Hora Ola de frío en Mallorca » Fotogalerías » Ultima Hora.

Nick 04-02-2012 12:27

Great photo's but how bizarre !!!

Looks surreal.

Sparky 05-02-2012 00:45

More photos this time from the Diario de Mallorca :-

La nieve cae sobre toda Mallorca. diariodemallorca.es _generico_

Sparky 05-02-2012 11:37

More photos and videos of the snow in todays Ultima Hora :-

Ola de frío en Mallorca » Fotogalerías » Ultima Hora

Sparky 06-02-2012 10:58

Farmers are concerned that the recent cold weather may have cause damage to the early potato crop :(.

clinkham 06-02-2012 19:53

Daily Telegraph says Taylor Wimpey last man standing

Daily Telegraph Business section reports that Taylor Wimpey are the last building company left building houses in Mallorca. See the link.

Taylor Wimpey alone in Majorca - Telegraph

Friends just back from Southern Spain where they have a small apartment in village just off the tourist path report the local bar (not a tourist bar) has shut because it's no longer viable. The village feels 'dead'. People haven't the money to spend.

The weather was extremely wintery - but that's not something we can blame on the banks.

Sparky 07-02-2012 11:40

According to the Diario De Mallorca it looks like we will have plenty of the local lamb to eat this year guys :- La cooperativa invierte medio millón para producir 15.000 corderos al año - Diario de Mallorca :D:p

JMD40 07-02-2012 23:31

Funny you should say that. Today we drove down to Palma and on the left hand side of the motorway there were hundreds of sheep, most of which seemed to have very new born lambs...... Juan and I commented that we had never seen so many and wondered how they were surviving in this very cold spell.