Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree1Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-06-2010, 17:17

Post Daily Bulletin points of interest.

Illegal moorings to be ripped up
PORT OF POLLENSA
ILLEGAL moorings in the bathing area of the Port of Pollensa’s Albercuix beach will be ripped up this coming Sunday by representatives from Central Government’s Coastal department and Pollensa Town Council .

The Council has discovered that a large number of boats are moored illegally near the beach, particularly in the high season. Joining forces with the beach management company run by the Port of Pollensa Residents’ Association, the Council is pushing out the bathing limit markers to 150 metres from the shore, an extra 50 from the distance defined last year.

Once the boundary markers are in place, the Coastal Department and Town Council will set about taking out all the moorings that remain within the bathing limit, as none of them have official authorisation to drop anchor. A municipal technician said yesterday:“Apart from being illegal, the moorings are a safety risk.” As many as 25 volunteer divers will take part in the mission which will also involve removing items such as tyres and waste concrete which has been fly-tipped on the sea bed. A further 10 volunteers based on land will be removing items which are lying along the public promenade by the beach, such as boats - or remains of them - drawn up onto the shore or tied to trees, and any sunbeds which are not the property of the beach management company.
Old 26-06-2010, 17:47

This is good news as we always thought that there was a health and safety issue here. My husband is very into sailing (yawn!) and has often said what seems to be allowed in PP wouldn't be allowed in UK.

Also - the cost of a legal birth is such a great deal of money that it has to be questioned how many have been paid for.

Husband says that as someone who sails and belongs to numerous yacht clubs (yawn! yawn!) this is good news for PP.
Old 26-06-2010, 19:29

There used to be an old upturned boat on the beach at Llenaire for many years in the mid 90's. As soon as my much younger terrible teenagers saw from it the back of the hire car they knew they were almost 'home' and were gutted when it went one winter as it had become such a landmark for them. As someone who is no sailor what so ever I think that the old boats dotted about add to the ambience of PP.
Old 27-06-2010, 08:57

Sorry I know I should know this but which is the Albercuix beach is this my the Pinewalk going up towards the I'la Dor? The posh house on the Pine Walk which sun bathe outside of had a spot of bother the other year with the Port Authority over illegal moorings but it didnt stop him doing the same thing last year.
Old 27-06-2010, 18:09

Found this link showing photos of this beach, but not with any boats on it! It does show the area where they are talking about though I think.

Photos Beach Platja d'Albercuix o Albercutx - trivago
Old 30-06-2010, 10:03

Default DB. Safer Holidays.

POLICE ISSUE WARNING AGAINST POSTING HOLIDAY INFORMATION ON SOCIAL NETWORK WEB SITES
By Humphrey Carter
PALMA
THE National Police yesterday issued their annual guide to help holiday makers enjoy an incident-free summer.
However, this year, one of the new items of advice is for people not to post information about their holiday on social network sites like Facebook etc.

The National Police have launched a special advice video at YouTube - Policia's Channel for anyone who can not get access to the information guides, but launching the safety and security campaign yesterday, the emphasis was very much against giving any information about where and when you are going away on the Internet.

STOLEN LUGGAGE
The guide includes various tips on how to avoid having luggage and handbags stolen enroute to your destinations with the key moments to pay special care and attention to your luggage being while checking at your holiday accommodation and obviously when boarding boats or aircraft and during transfers.

And, in order to be able to relax as much as possible during your holiday, the National Police guide features a list of steps to follow to ensure maximum safety and security at home.

Balearic National Police chiefs said that doors and windows must be left firmly closed if leaving a property empty while on holiday.
They also warned against leaving a spare key any where near the property.
If away for any great length of time, the police recommend not leaving any valuable items, including car keys, bank and credit card details inside the property and try and get a neighbour to regularly collect the post.

WINDOW BLINDS
They also advise against completely closing window blinds and, where possible, installing systems which will automatically turn lights and even radios on and off at regular intervals.

The police also suggest that taking photographs of the serial numbers of expensive domestic and household items is also a good idea in the event of a property being broken into.

And in the event of any suspicious behaviour in your neighbourhood or noises coming from houses of which the owners are known to be on holiday, contact the police immediately.

This year, there will be more police than ever involved in the summer security operation here in the Balearics.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:37

Default PP does it bit to suppport its lads.

“We’re just soldiers doing our job, it’s been very humbling how the local community has looked after us here...”
By Humphrey Carter

PALMA
TWO of the group of wounded members of the Light Dragoons being treated to a Majorcan holiday by the British community in Majorca this week, yesterday told their stories, but before talking combat and about their experiences, Lieutenant Corporal Charlie Rocks and Staff Sergeant Grant Cuthbertson were full of praise for the Britons on the island.

On behalf of the total 16 wounded soldiers who have come out to Majorca over the past month and been accommodated by Sheila and Dave at their Pollensa estate, they said that the response from the British community has been “overwhelming and humbling. “It’s been amazing,” said Rocks. “We’ve been treated like superstars. It’s like having a five-star hotel all to ourselves. “We’ve been invited out for lunches and dinners by complete strangers who have been really interested in our stories, it’s been brilliant and the break with the girlfriend has been a major boost, a boost for all the lads,” he added.

Cuthbertson echoed Rocks’s sentiments. “At the end of the day, we’re just soldiers doing our job. It’s been very humbling how we’ve been treated and looked after here in Majorca,” he added.

Both groups consisted of members of the Light Dragoons with their partners who had all been wounded to different and varying degrees.
23 -year-old Rocks is a Troop Leader, a tank gunner and his vehicle was hit by an IED within just 15 minutes of Operation Panther’s Claw being launched on June 4, last year.

The Operation was British-led in Helmand Province, the dangerous front line of the conflict. “The IED (improvised explosive device) rolled the tank but the crew managed to escape relatively unhurt, just a few minor fractures and they’re still giving me gyp for having only lasted 15 minutes of the Operation,” he joked.

That was Rock’s second tour of Afghanistan. The first was 2006/2007. “We were out there a whole year and took no fatal casualties. In fact we suffered no major casualties at all. “But, the second tour last year was tougher and we took a lot of fatalities including two of my troop. “I think the situation’s changed out there. It’s all about IEDs, they’re causing most of the injuries and claiming many of the lives.” I asked if he thinks the troops should be brought home before the new 2014 deadline given by the British government this week. “Just as much as I guess we would all want to come home, we do as we’re told. We’ve got a job to do and we’ll do what we’re told in order to try and finish it,” he made quite clear.

Staff Sergeant Grant Cuthbertson was also wounded after a colleague stood on an IED just a few yards away. He was wounded in one arm and is still undergoing rehabilitation - he may need another operation.

Cuthbertson is a ForwardAir Controller.
His front line job is to guide attack aircraft such as Apache helicopters and Harriers, British, American and French to their front line targets from a front line position.

It was while on the front line pin point guiding in attack aircraft by laser and other high tech communication devices that the IED went off next to him. “We’re controlling the attack air traffic from the front line, we have Apaches letting off their full weaponry just 50 metres away.... we’re calling in 500, 1'000 pound bombs,” he explained.

Cuthbertson was also in Afghanistan last year, that was his third tour and he is expecting to return. “I am now a Subject Matter Expert, and my job is to prepare new soldiers who are going to be deployed to Afghanistan. “I don’t see the situation changing, once the summer poppy harvest is over, they (the Taliban) come alive again. Things will remain the same for a while,” he said.

Asked about the 2014 deadline he admitted that “sooner would be better than later.” Light Dragoons Welfare Officer, Mick Reed, who has been out on the island to help looking after the troops and their partners, driving them around etc. said that the local community has done a wonderful job and he will be bringing out another group in October.

Only this week, Church Warden at the Anglican Church in Pollensa, Geoff Thomas, went to dinner and presented Reed with 400 euros collected from the congregation in Puerto Pollensa.

Former Irish Guard Stan Bowles and the Bulletin began this campaign last year with one seriously wounded Royal Marine.
The response from the plea put out from the Bulletin has led to some 30 wounded soldiers coming out this year and possibly even more with offers of accommodation etc. slowly coming in for the REMEWelfare Officer Cliff Johnson who also wants to bring some of his wounded vets from Afghanistan and even Iraq out to Majorca.

If you want to help, in whatever capacity, contact the Bulletin and your details will be passed on in full confidentiality.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:44

A heartwarming story bella

Last edited by susiejb; 06-07-2010 at 10:45. Reason: spelling again...I must read it before I post it!
Old 07-07-2010, 19:17

Heart warming indeed and as an ex serviceman myself may I say a very heart felt Thank you to Sheila and Dave and all the local Community for what you are doing for these 'Boys'
Well done.
Old 08-07-2010, 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
This is good news as we always thought that there was a health and safety issue here. My husband is very into sailing (yawn!) and has often said what seems to be allowed in PP wouldn't be allowed in UK.

Also - the cost of a legal birth is such a great deal of money that it has to be questioned how many have been paid for.

Husband says that as someone who sails and belongs to numerous yacht clubs (yawn! yawn!) this is good news for PP.
As a boat owner in the Port I thought I would throw my hat in on this one. I have a mooring in the port but also have a mooring outside the swimming area for use during the day sometimes and to leave a small Rib on.
some 3 years ago they did the same thing and took all the moorings away and moved the swim area further out resulting in every body loosing there moorings. For me its handy to have another smaller mooring outside of the port. But for some boat owners its the only place they can keep the boat as the port is not big enough to cope with all the boats and moorings are difficult to get. I have a number of friends who would love to keep the boat in the port but simple cannot get a mooring I am not talking about large boats.
Boating is a huge part of life in PP and attracts many people as the bay is one of the finest in the world. I know the land lubbers amongst you will be thinking who cares but I assure you it is not good news to keep making life difficult for boaters in PP .And you cannot tell me you don’t like looking out at the boats whilst enjoying a drink I know all the children love it. As far as a health and safety hazard goes this could not be further from the truth All boaters in Spain have to be FULLY Licensed unlike the UK and the waters are policed and I think you will find the majority of boaters in PP are extremely careful and respectful of the waters in the bay
Old 08-07-2010, 16:52

That is good news fil. My husband took his yacht masters here in Uk and always said that he thought there should be some recognised qualification or licence especially in areas that attract numbers of people. As you are probably aware, here in the UK anyone can do near enough as they like as long as they don't get caught.

As for watching the boats - you are so right. I love to watch with envy! My husband also tries on every visit to take a boat out or sail a cat or something. To look at the Bay from out to sea is just wonderful.
Old 08-07-2010, 22:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
That is good news fil. My husband took his yacht masters here in Uk and always said that he thought there should be some recognised qualification or licence especially in areas that attract numbers of people. As you are probably aware, here in the UK anyone can do near enough as they like as long as they don't get caught.

As for watching the boats - you are so right. I love to watch with envy! My husband also tries on every visit to take a boat out or sail a cat or something. To look at the Bay from out to sea is just wonderful.
you are so right its a beutifull bay and from the water even more stunning and it is sad that they are going to waste all that time and man power I can think of many things those people could do in the Port that would be time far better spent for all of us what harm are a small number of boats moored up and some private sun beds chained to a tree by a walldoing the answer is no harm at all
Old 09-07-2010, 10:03

Is this a move by the authorities to clean up the swimming/bathing area by cutting down on the pollution caused by too many boats in the area? Are they intending to limit volume of boats as well as size?
Keeeping the beach and waters clean is paramount to all tourism obviously.

At first glance this does seem a good thing to do as long as they have good designated areas as obviously sailers or boaters do hop from port to port and bring in the money as long as there is something for them to spend it on ofcourse!
The bigger boats have always had to moor at Alcudia so thats not going to change.
Old 31-08-2010, 11:10

Post Winter in PP upturn!

MAJORCA RESPONDS WELL TO BRITISH TOUR OPERATOR’S WINTER CAMPAIGN
By Humphrey Carter
PALMA
THE Majorcan tourist industry has responded well to Monarch airline and tour operator’s commitment to operate six flights per week to Palma from Manchester and Gatwick airports.

The British tour operator has received the full support and backing of the Spanish tourist board Turespaña in London and the local Ministry for Tourism has also pledged to help promote and market the winter programme which already includes city break and golfing packages.

However, the response from the hoteliers has also been encouraging, said Hugh Morgan, the Monarch Travel Group’s Managing Director of Tour Operations.
He said this week that a number of individual hotels have expressed an interest in getting involved and in the Port of Pollensa, a major winter cycling destination because the British team has its winter training camp in the port, there has been a great deal of support for the winter programme from the cycling holiday sector. “We’ve also made some special arrangements for cyclists to bring their bikes,” he added.
The golfing programme offers Monarch clients free green fees at participating golf resorts. Morgan said that passengers are already booking winter seats to Palma and also Mahon in Minorca which is also going to be served by a new winter service from Luton. “We’ve had good and constructive talks with the Balearic tourism authorities, they’ve pledged to help so it’s now up to them to make it work,” Morgan underlined. “We’re laying on the flights, over 51'000 seats during the winter, so we hope that Majorca will help us out and give us the support we need to make the winter season function properly,” he added.

The extra flights have also been welcomed by residents and second home owners who were left nearly stranded last winter when British Midland cancelled its daily Heathrow service, the tour operators closed down for three months and then low cost airlines scaled back their frequencies.

Monarch’s winter initiative is going to give Majorca a serious opportunity to make winter tourism work and Morgan believes that the island has plenty to offer low season tourists apart from cycling and golf.

Monarch launched its Palma flight from Gatwick in July and Morgan said that the flights have been practically fully booked since day one.
Old 06-11-2010, 20:11

Default Tramuntana Mountain check

I wonder if this will stop the building work that is creeping along and up the mountain year by year?!

OTHER NEWS
German and Japanese satellites photographing Tramuntana
NEWSDESK

PALMA
GERMAN and Japanese satellites have begun taking photographs of the Serra de Tramuntana mountain range in order to study the recent wave of landslides, rock falls and the subsidence of a number of roads.

The study is expected to take two years but, the end result will be a map of all the weak spots in the mountain range which the Council of Majorca wants declared a UNESCO site of natural beauty.

The map will provide vital information as to where the potential black spots are and enable the local authorities to take the necessary preventive action should they think the threat of a landslide or rock fall be sufficiently high.

Over the past year, as a result of heavy rain, there have been a series of incidents including the subsidence of key mountain roads.