Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-07-2011, 17:59

Default A footnote to crime in pollensa

With all the recent post's about crime in pp i found a strange irony to it all last week, as on one occassion i stood and watched 3 policemen deal with an old tramp who had the nerve to fall asleep on the grass next to the beach bar and on the other, 4 (yes 4) oversee the removal of a car behind the church.
Sponsored Links
Old 23-08-2011, 20:22
Super Moderator

I read this in the Diario de Mallorca today, the Guardia Civil last week arrested three youths for allegedly committing a wave of robberies in villas in Port de Pollença. The alleged robbers, aged between 18 and 25 years old, are accused of robbing eleven homes. One of them even acted as the residents were inside. His modus operandi was always the same: to force the blinds shutters, broken glass and, once inside the house, seized all the effects of value. Then allegedly sold the loot to private or Palma sa Pobla. One was Spanish, one from Ecuador and one from Argentina.
Old 27-08-2011, 19:16

Well that would match the description given by the family above us at the Marysol Apts! Wow, it's great they've caught them. Guess it shows the police were just biding their time and probably had their eye on them for a while. Hopefully that'll be the end of the break ins then. The news couldn't come at a better time too as we're flying out for a week next Saturday

Thanks for posting the news Sparky!
Old 28-08-2011, 08:28

I hate to put a downer on the news, because it's good that someone has been arrested but, there are far more than three youths operating in the area. There was news a day or so ago of 5 or so youths being collared in Pollensa. They apparently were operating in the outskirts of the town, around La Font I think.
Old 28-08-2011, 09:04
Super Moderator

But they have also been arrested so the police are tracking these criminals down and taking them off the streets. That is even more good news Tony .
Old 28-08-2011, 09:42

Sparky, indeed it is good news that some collars have been felt but you know my views and in my opinion it's taken the police far too long to stamp out this criminal activity. A bit more "pro active" policing might not be a bad idea but, like in this country, someone has to pay and we all know the state of the finances in the Town Hall right now.
Old 28-08-2011, 10:02

Default footnote to local crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
But they have also been arrested so the police are tracking these criminals down and taking them off the streets. That is even more good news Tony .

Am very pleased to hear that Sparky! It is a fact that there are criminals wherever you go in the world but I find it especially harrowing when they prey on holidaymakers. Despite relaxing when on holiday in Puerto Pollensa, we really do needs to keep our wits about us to try to minimise the risk.
Old 28-08-2011, 11:22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonsyl View Post
Sparky, indeed it is good news that some collars have been felt but you know my views and in my opinion it's taken the police far too long to stamp out this criminal activity. A bit more "pro active" policing might not be a bad idea but, like in this country, someone has to pay and we all know the state of the finances in the Town Hall right now.
Of course there could be financial constraints on the police but they can only arrest and charge criminals if they have evidence which takes time to collect. I think this applies to any police force anywhere no matter how much money is in the Town Hall coffers.
Old 28-08-2011, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post

This is good news and as Sparky says this means less on the streets. I believe the police are being pro-active and I do think receive bad press generally. We don;t know what goes on behind the scenes. I'm sure the police are very aware that one criminal offence whatever it is, is one too many for a place which relies so much on tourism.

Lets hope they receive the appropriate punishments!
Old 28-08-2011, 14:40

I agree with the sentiments raised here and in the case of the mugging last weekend concerning punishments. I doubt it will find its way to the MDB but I would be very interested to learn the punishments if it's reported locally, perhaps you'd post please Sparky.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:28

On the subject of crime in Pollenca, please be aware of pickpockets. We've just returned home after spending two weeks there, and, despite having visited for the last seven years, we're still attracted to the Sunday market. My daughters' pointed to this man who they thought was acting suspiciously, so I followed him at a distance. Then I heard someone shout "that man had his hand in my pocket". He suddenly disappeared from view, only to reappear at the ice cream kiosk a few minutes later, obviously with no intention to buy an ice cream. His eyes were shifting from one tourist to another looking down at handbags etc. He was with a woman accomplice, who I was told later, the thief would pass the wallet, purses etc. to. I always carry my camera around with me and was able to take a couple of photos of both people. I showed the images to an english speaking waiter working in the square, and he in turn asked to show them to his manager. It was obvious they were pleased that I'd managed to photograph them as they said that pickpocketing is rife and is spoiling the spectacle of the Sunday market. Anyway, on my arrival home on Saturday, I'd received an email from the manager saying that the images had been sent to both the mayor of Pollenca (!) and to the police. Let's hope it was of some use. Pollenca is a beautiful place, but please be on your guard.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:57
Super Moderator

Well done Jonsey, hopefully your photos will lead to yet more of these criminals being taken off the streets. In recent weeks it has been reported that at least a dozen thieves/burglars have been arrested and charged in the Pollensa area so the police are doing their jobs, but it's up to us all to be vigilant and help them in any way we can.
Old 12-09-2011, 16:04

Reading these posts are very upsetting as it's indicative that nowhere is immune to increasing antisocial behaviour, especially our much loved PP. On a visit in June, we experienced a fairly large group of boys between 8 - 12 years (why weren't they in school?) biking around the port, knocking hats off and pushing older people. This would be quite unnerving and upsetting I imagine. On one occasion, we saw the same group, circling round a young woman who was looking in a shop, but sped off when her partner came back for her. This will not do the port's reputation for quiet and relaxation any good.
Old 12-09-2011, 21:10

Well done on the photo's Jonesy!!
Old 22-09-2011, 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy-B View Post
Reading these posts are very upsetting as it's indicative that nowhere is immune to increasing antisocial behaviour, especially our much loved PP. On a visit in June, we experienced a fairly large group of boys between 8 - 12 years (why weren't they in school?) biking around the port, knocking hats off and pushing older people. This would be quite unnerving and upsetting I imagine. On one occasion, we saw the same group, circling round a young woman who was looking in a shop, but sped off when her partner came back for her. This will not do the port's reputation for quiet and relaxation any good.
I saw boys on bikes doing something along these lines 2 weeks ago. However they seemed to give my wife and i a wide birth. May have something to do with being 17 stone and 6ft 2ins. (thats me not the wife lol). So maybe all those years spent in the gym were not wasted.