Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-09-2011, 17:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab View Post
Better off down the south of the island where the courses are better and the green fees cheaper.

Alacanada is a decent trek but at well over 100 euros for fees, buggies and club hire I would prefer to keep my dough and play one of the courses on The Open rota in the UK.

Pollenca is a dump. The greens are crap, the rough poorly thought out, scrub bunkers in the mddle of the course, lack of yardage guidance from tee or fairway and nobody really seems to give a monkeys. Oh yeah I forgot. Its bloody expensive crap.
And to make a bad situation worse the restaurant has gone down down down down down as I posted a couple of weeks ago after my last visit there . Hope somebody steps up and buys the place soon and rescues it. It used to be one of the jewels in the crown of PP. now its like a greasy spoon surrounded by grass that nobody wants to, or can afford to knock there balls around on

Last edited by fil6699; 15-09-2011 at 17:27. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 15-09-2011, 20:00

Default Pollensa Golf

I last played the course 2 years ago, and found it to be pretty good, although starting to become quite expensive for 9 holes of golf.
Has it really deteriorated as much as people are saying????
Old 15-09-2011, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I last played the course 2 years ago, and found it to be pretty good, although starting to become quite expensive for 9 holes of golf.
Has it really deteriorated as much as people are saying????
I last went there about 3 years ago and I can only say it was beyond awful. There were two temporary greens and the rest of it looked like no one could give a toss. Needless to say there was no reduction in green fee to compensate for the state of it

Just as a general comment on this interesting discussion I realise everyone is different and has different economic boundaries. My own perspective is that I don't mind paying a high green fee for something that is evidently better than the norm, I'm ok with what they charge at Alcanada for a two or three times a year experience. I love the course and the views, and having lunch and/or a beer on the terrace is also pretty special I think. The fact that it is close to PP and located on a truly spectacular part of the Mallorquin coast is a factor too! But of course that's just my take on it....
Old 15-09-2011, 22:01

just to summarise... I rate Alcanada very highly... but my advice was for how to get some golf in locally without bursting the wallet as the OP seemed to be looking for that.
I played Pollensa in August this year and it is what it is...
yes a pretty poorly maintained track, but set in a splendid location that gets more impressive as you have a drink on the lovely terrace. And the restaurant is good value at 10Euro for the setting.

From a golf perspective Alcanada is great but very expensive (especially if you are paying for 2 rounds each time!). Pula offers better value for money.
If you are there for the golf only then pick up the 2-4-1 list and research each of the participating web sites... some nice holes out there!

Otherwise a Mallorca is not good value for money just to come and play golf...(I get up to St Andrews for a long weekend's golf with the boys each year and get 5 rounds in on a choice of courses for c£100).

I picked up a handfull of loose balls from the bucket at Alcanada last year and was charged a furtune...then realised they all had a tiny Porsche logo on them!
Old 20-09-2011, 23:23

Thanks guys and ladies -
What is the 2-4-1 site ?? is it the same as the one here in the UK?
Old 21-09-2011, 19:59

Google Mallorca Golfcard and the website should pop up..

Here are some of the details taken from the pdf on the ordering section on that site. Note the validity as in reality it is now only any use for Nov & Dec.

Good idea if you buy early and are looking to play good courses next year...

"MALLORCA GOLFCARD – features
With the new Mallorca Golfcard you can spend a great golf vacation on Mallorca and save a lot of money at the same time. With the presentation of the Mallorca Golfcard, the member receives free or low priced features. Furthermore, the member receives a voucherbook with advantaging vouchers. It includes 2for1 greenfee-vouchers for 11 golf courses, additional savings at hotels, restaurants and shops.

Price, Validity & Cancelation
The price for the Mallorca Golfcard is once EUR 99,-. It is valid in January, February, May 15th – September 15th, November and December 2011. After December 31st, 2011 all voucher lose their validity."

S
Old 26-09-2011, 12:13

did a bit more research ... in Alcanada newsletter this Autumn deal looked great:

"the marina of Port Adriano on Majorca’s southwest coast is said to have become the new hotspot of the Mediterranean jet set. Situated right above the marina the five-star Hotel Port Adriano offers golfing guests a rather tempting package for the coming autumn :

5 nights in a deluxe double room with sea view, including the buffet breakfast, unlimited use of the spa and wellness facilities, an exclusive dinner with regional wines, a rental car for five days and 2 green fees for the Golf Club Alcanada plus two further green fees at a club of your choice for 850 € per person.

For info and reservation, call (0034) 971.23 73 23 or via email to eportadriano@hotelportadriano.com. Website: www.hotelportadriano.com"
Old 11-10-2011, 21:11

Quick update, maybe useful to future visitors.

Managed to twilight rates at both Alcanada and Pollensa 75 & 50 euros respectively for 18 holes.

Alcanada is a nice course but on our visit the greens were heavily sanded and inconsistant.

Pollensa is possibly the nicest course I have played anywhere in terms of layout and location, however the condition and presentation does detract from this a little, as an aside, if the story we were told is true - it may not be long before this is THE premier course on the island.
Old 12-10-2011, 13:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by el bee View Post
Quick update, maybe useful to future visitors.

Managed to twilight rates at both Alcanada and Pollensa 75 & 50 euros respectively for 18 holes.

Alcanada is a nice course but on our visit the greens were heavily sanded and inconsistant.

Pollensa is possibly the nicest course I have played anywhere in terms of layout and location, however the condition and presentation does detract from this a little, as an aside, if the story we were told is true - it may not be long before this is THE premier course on the island.
Glad you found something that worked for you.

For some years there have been rumours about Pollensa being developed into a championship course with 18 holes and a hotel. I'm not sure who actually owns it at present but maybe, at last, something is about to happen?
Old 12-10-2011, 16:15

Well it is run by the barnards of barnard hamilton, but rumour has it is owned by the bank !!
Old 12-10-2011, 16:21

Heard it was up for sale yet again!
Old 12-10-2011, 16:29
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
Heard it was up for sale yet again!
Yes i heard the same thing but then so are many places and in the current climate i would imagine only a very wealthy person would be able to buy it.
Old 12-10-2011, 17:27

I heard it was up for 7 mil which is a great deal of money.
I suppose to a business person with their own ideas or perhaps a wealthy Russian it may just be petty cash. As you say Sparky in this climate it will probably remain unsold for a while. Nice couple from Cambridge with £101 mil, lotto winners may be interested though!
Old 24-11-2011, 22:57

Default pollensa golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP76 View Post
The course at Al Canada is very good, not the cheapest but a great course.
PP76
We have played the 9 hole at Pollensa for many years in both winter and summer, mainly because we stay close by and there is never anyone else on the course, reason probably that, apart from the greens,it's a bit rough and expensive for what it is. We are due to play there in Feb. 2012 but our emails have gone unanswered so perhaps the rumours of the courses immanent demise are true.
Old 25-11-2011, 22:44

We're hoping to play golf at Pollensa in Feb 2012 but they're not answering emails, has the boss (Richard) got rid of Juanito, Tomaz and Luis and shut up shop?