Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 08:58

Default Filming of Cloud Atlas in Mallorca

Hanks movie eyes Majorca
Palma.—The Bulletin learnt yesterday that talks are underway between the producers of the 150 million dollar film Cloud Atlas, the most expensive independent film in history, and local representatives in an attempt to secure the island as a location for part of the blockbuster shoot which features a long list of top Hollywood stars.
Adapted from the complex novel by David Mitchell, already signed up for the film are Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Susan Sarandon (no stranger to Majorca), Hugo Weaving, Ben Whishaw and Jim Broadbent.

But there are also rumours that Natalie Portman, Sir Ian Mckellen and Hugh Grant could also be involved in the epic production which is going to be directed by both The Wachowskis (The Matrix films, Speed Racer) and Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run, The International).

Germany is going to be the main production location but it is understood that other locations could include Glasgow and Majorca.
The Bulletin, revealed last month that a crew of around 400 people could be shooting for as long as three weeks on the island if the project goes ahead.

The Majorcan audio visual industry, has been working extremely hard to put Majorca on the global movie map and it appears to be succeeding. Harvey Keitel and his wife Daphna Kastner will be shooting her new film on the island next year and there are more projects in the wings. But, having a 150 million dollar blockbuster use the island will be a major break- through for the local audio visual industry and also priceless promotion for Majorca.

The local film community has also put forward a proposal to Central Government for a new regional fiscal incentive to attract more film and TV productions. “If you look at Germany, in the last two years since setting up their incentives, they have attracted about 12.5 million euros from productions, while Spain has lost about 1.3 million euros over the same period due to films wanting to come to Spain but didn’t because other countries had better incentives,” a source said.

On island time!!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2011, 11:11
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
Hanks movie eyes Majorca
Palma.—The Bulletin learnt yesterday that talks are underway between the producers of the 150 million dollar film Cloud Atlas, the most expensive independent film in history, and local representatives in an attempt to secure the island as a location for part of the blockbuster shoot which features a long list of top Hollywood stars.
Adapted from the complex novel by David Mitchell,
My first thoughts on reading this yesterday was how can they make a film of Cloud Atlas, one of my favourite books, which I keep meaning to re-read. But as discussed elsewhere by Andrew Ede, they are only talking about 'a location' so it may only be a few rocks & sand....
Old 30-08-2011, 14:48
Founder

I've brought this out as a separate thread now as it got lost in the MDB points of interest thread.

Andrew Ede (in his excellent blog) has an interesting post today alcudiapollensa: MALLORCA TODAY - Cloud Atlas: hotel spaces booked in Pollensa as it looks as if it is going ahead.

Quote:
Tuesday, August 30, 2011
MALLORCA TODAY - Cloud Atlas: hotel spaces booked in Pollensa
Location filming for the Hollywood blockbuster version of David Mitchell's "Cloud Atlas" which will star, among others, Tom Hanks, Halle Berry and Jim Broadbent, is due to take place from the middle of September for two weeks. Sa Calobra will be one of the main locations, and Puerto Soller and Formentor are also scheduled to feature. 180 hotel rooms have been booked in Pollensa for the duration.

A thousand or so hopefuls attended auditions for roles as extras in the film in Palma yesterday.

More on this: The main road into Sa Calobra will be closed for one day (yet to be confirmed). Permission is being sought for a galleon to dock in Puerto Soller and has been granted to use military installations on the Puig Major in the Tramuntana mountains.
I did see that there were requests for extras last week but forgot to post it here - sorry if any of you have missed out There is a lot more info on this & other films 'Made in Mallorca' on the Mallorca Film Commission website

Last edited by pollensa; 30-08-2011 at 15:00. Reason: added info on Mallorca Film Commission
Old 04-09-2011, 16:25
Founder

More on the filming by Anna Nicholas posting on the Telegraph expat section Hollywood to take Majorca by storm – Expat - My Telegraph including

"Meanwhile hoteliers are speculating as to where the stars will stay-although rumour has it that 180 hotel rooms have already been booked in Pollença in the north of the island-and residents are eagerly awaiting their chance to be star spotted for brief appearances in locally shot scenes. "
Old 04-09-2011, 20:37

When is filming expected to take place?
Old 04-09-2011, 20:54
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali View Post
When is filming expected to take place?
Apparently
"Filming is set to begin around September 15 and end around September 30 in Mallorca. There will be four film locations on the island including Port de Soller, Sa Calobra and Formentor for the 1850 era and Puig Major for the 2300 post-apocalyptic world where the only survivors live in a kind of Stone Age but with technological equipment, offering various special effects. It has been said that the directors have already reserved 180 rooms at a Pollença Hotel." - see Cloud Atlas to shoot in Scotland and Mallorca - Tom Hanks Online
Old 04-09-2011, 21:03

Exciting! We arrive 29th so they'll be leaving when we get there.
Old 06-09-2011, 21:46

So has anyone found out which hotel yet?
Old 07-09-2011, 20:06
Super Moderator

Found this today Los 'Matrix' amarran su galeón en Sóller | Baleares | elmundo.es
I have GoogleTranslate on my laptop so it automatically translates for me, you might need to set that up.

Last edited by Sparky; 07-09-2011 at 20:09. Reason: Typo
Old 07-09-2011, 21:25

CD Hugh Grant will be staying at the Puerto Azul with me <3 a girl can dream :P
Old 09-09-2011, 01:09

See Glasgow also got a mention! Brad Pitt was filming in Glasgow last week, they shut off the centre of the city for 3 days and turned it into Philadelphia, American cars, flags etc, helicopters flying everywhere(being attacled by Zombies). 2 Million pounds as opposed to 40 Million it would have cost in America.
Old 16-09-2011, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by its cd View Post
So has anyone found out which hotel yet?

My spy at Formentor told me that Tom Hanks had checked into the hotel yesterday and they were filming with the 'pirate galeon' in the bay today
Old 16-09-2011, 14:30
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
See Glasgow also got a mention!
Halle Berry is there now filming Cloud Atlas BBC News - Halle Berry in Glasgow to film Cloud Atlas & I've just received a replacement copy of the book that I lent to my mum (& was never returned ) - it's a great book but needs a second reading... Am still not sure about film
Old 16-09-2011, 14:38

Yep! She was filming in Douglas Street, Glasgow this morning! Hope she remembered to bring her Winter woolies, it ain't to pleasant out there.
Old 17-09-2011, 09:36

smiddy, spotted her going into the crabshakk on argyle street the other day