Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 18:08

Default Do the cyclists in Mallorca have a death wish?

I have never seen such utterly stupid behaviour by road users as I have this last fortnight in and around the north of the island. What gives these idiots the mental attitude to pull out in front of cars and lorries on main roads and expect to survive, and think they own the place? O.K., they bring well needed revenue to the hotels and restaurants but I'd love to find out the numbers of injuries they sustain. If anyone doubts their stupidity, bob over to the Alcudia - Arta highway and see, absolutely incredible! Brings shame to those well behaved and sensible riders who are in a minority.
lollipop, RobnAnna and Brisbane like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2013, 18:30

I have to agree Tony. It terrifies me seeing some of the riders, particularly as we once passed an accident involving a cyclist. Most of them as you say are sensible and thoughtful, but the ones who are not .....
Old 12-03-2013, 19:52

I agree entirely Tonsyl, I'm glad you have brought this issue up.

I have encountered large groups of cyclists around the same area in Alcudia who simply refuse to give way at roundabouts and show their palms to drivers, seemingly in order to show supremacy.

It doesn't just happen around the north of the island, I've experienced this arrogant behaviour of cyclists all around Mallorca. The sensible ones seem to be in the minority.

Riding in parallel is apparently their right too, regardless of the problems this causes other road users.

Thankfully the majority of car users take care and put up with cyclists taking up more space on the roads than they require, but it's an accident waiting to happen...
RobnAnna likes this.
Old 12-03-2013, 20:47

Brisbane do you think that when they are showing you their palms it might be a gesture of thanks - it's just a thought. Also on a lot of the roads around the island cyclist are allowed to ride 2 a breast. I'm not sure what problem it causes except you have to slow down and overtake with caution, which sounds like sensible driving to me.

I love seeing people out on their bikes (casual users, professionals or keen amateurs)- it's far better than seeing the traffic congestion in England where people can't seem to go 2 foot out of the door without getting in their cars.

As a cyclist and car user on the island, it's the other car users that scare me most. They very rarely use their indicators, hang on to your bumper if you dare to drive to the speed limit, overtake at any opportunity safe or otherwise and seem to have no concept of the rules of the roundabout (or any junction for that matter). Oh yeah and then there are the tourists in the height of summer who seem to think they are also invincible and just saunter across the roads with not a thought of looking for any on-coming traffic.

Everyone on the road needs to be aware and considerate of each other but as car users we need to be especially aware of those users more vulnerable than us. Let's not keep picking on the cyclists!
The Wob, Stevo66, Jonsey and 1 others like this.
Old 12-03-2013, 21:31

Hi Mimsy, thanks for your input.

No, the showing of palms were not gestures of appreciation, it was clearly a case of forcing drivers to avoid colliding with the group while they disregarded the rules of the road, be it what you call the "highway code" in the UK.

I'm not picking on cyclists, I'm merely pointing out what is most likely to be illegal behaviour on the roads in Spain, and extremely dangerous behaviour.

I have cycled around the north of the island myself, but I appreciate the need to accommodate other road users whilst doing so.

As Tonsyl has pointed out, there seems to be many cyclists that are taking chances that are putting themselves and other road users at risk of an accident, and I agree.
El Gordo and RobnAnna like this.
Old 13-03-2013, 10:58

The large groups of cyclists monopolize the cycle paths as well. Whilst cycling as a family from PP to Alcudia a large group of cyclists, say 30 at least were heading towards us on both sides of the cycle path, 3-4 abreast, at least 30 miles an hour I guess. My children then age 11 and 13 were in front, they panicked and pulled onto the left hand track as automatic reaction, even though we had been cycling in the right lane. Well, you should have heard the insults! "You are in Europe now you English, you English need to learn the European way" (Read with Germanic accent and add a few expletives).

We never use that cycle path now, choosing the country lanes instead, and always in single file should a car come up behind us.
Old 13-03-2013, 11:18

Agree, every year many of them are seriously injured or die in accidents but it doesn't seem to deter them. Riding 2 3 and 4 abreast along country roads is stupid and just winds other road users up
Lorenzo, RobnAnna and Brisbane like this.
Old 13-03-2013, 17:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by roig cat View Post
.................................We never use that cycle path now, choosing the country lanes instead, and always in single file should a car come up behind us.
I don't think these "two way" cycle lanes are safe.

Much safer to go "with the traffic" so that faster traffic, including cyclists have to overtake you and not force you out into oncoming cars.

I think a speed limit in cycle lanes would force the professionals onto the road.
The Wob, Sparky and Jonsey like this.

My FlickR Photos
Old 13-03-2013, 17:41

Just to balance my comments, since the incidents that provoked my post, we have come across an impeccable piece of riding. Coming out of Alcudia old town we came up to a very elderly local, riding a bike, almost as old as he looked and wobbling. I turned to Mrs T and said words to the effect that this guy is a liability. No sooner said than he looked over his shoulder, saw me, indicated that he wanted to pull out and turn and then looked again to make sure I'd seen him. Seeing I had he pulled out turned across the roundabout and peddled away happily, still wobbling...............top man indeed!
RobnAnna and roig cat like this.
Old 13-03-2013, 18:17

Sadly there are certainly two sides to this story, but a constant is that there is plenty of dreadful driving by both cyclists and drivers.

I do find that the cyclists are very loathed to lose any momentum, and openly ignore situations where they should give-way. A particular hate of mine is the insistence of some of riding down the Pinewalk - Not only annoying but dangerous, especially to young children who don't expect to see bikes on a pedestrianised section.

For fear of spoiling my relaxed afternoon, I won't get started on drivers not using their indicators..especially approaching and on roundabouts...
RobnAnna likes this.
Old 13-03-2013, 19:14

Really interesting thread, this one! I’m a keen cyclist, who each year looks forward to hiring a high spec road bike from good ol' Bruce at Pro Bike Hire in PP. I’ve been doing this for the last eight years now and see it as my “summer treat”. However, after reading the various comments I feel I do have to make a few of my own. Thirty odd years ago I lived in London and cycled to work, in the centre, on most days. This was certainly an experience, and taught me a lot of things about fellow road users. You had to be so careful that a). people could see you, b). that you didn’t make any sudden movements, c) you constantly had to anticipate what drivers around you were going to do next, etc.. So, this cycling experience in my earlier years has definitely, I believe, made me a better driver. Therefore, when out in the car I’m always looking out for cyclists, aware that they may, for example, hit a pothole at any moment and I may need to take evasive action. Likewise, when I’m out riding I’d like to think that I’m considerate to car drivers. There’s nothing worse than driving behind a group riding 2 or 3 abreast who are determined not to fall back to single file to allow the car through. This is when tempers fray and accidents may follow. One of my pet hates when out in the car are seeing the number of drivers (and they are in the majority) who don’t indicate when pulling out to overtake a bike (or a pedestrian, for that matter). This is so dangerous, and so unnecessary. It’s only a quick touch of the indicator lever, for God’s sake!
I guess what I’m trying to say is that the roads, be they the A40 in Bucks. or the PM222 between PP and Alcudia, are there for us all, cyclists and drivers alike. All we need is to respect each other on the road, be considerate to other road users, and always to keep thinking what may be around the next corner.
Old 13-03-2013, 19:59

We were in Lanzarote last week and remarked that the cyclists there were actually worse than those in Mallorca. We were on small roads coming up behind many large groups riding in pack form with no regard for other road users.
Old 14-03-2013, 08:23

Car drivers do pay a road tax though which cyclists don't. Maybe this is an area that needs addressing.
Old 14-03-2013, 09:30

Along the cycling theme, how about the idiot council in can picafort. A few years back they told the bar owners that they were banned from puting their tables and chairs along the prom by the beach wall. They then made the area a cycle lane. Result....People and kids coming up from the beach were getting knocked down by the cyclist.You really coudn't make it up.
Old 14-03-2013, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by klad1 View Post
Car drivers do pay a road tax though which cyclists don't. Maybe this is an area that needs addressing.
Some car drivers do, but plenty don't, certainly here in Mallorca and particularly those with foreign plated cars who actually live here