Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-08-2011, 02:24
Under Moderation

Default Trip report, July/August 2011

Hi everyone (please feel free to move this post to a more suitable location)!!

Just thought i would let you know of our experience in Pollensa.(25 July to 4 Aug).

We (me,the wife,and 3 kids:- 16,10 and 4) had only a small date availability for our hols and,after much searching plumped for Pollensa.
We only had a small 'window' to travel and return and had to book BA from London City(as this was the only way to coincide with our dates).The price was slightly more than we would normally pay but,was it worth it !!!!
We got to the airport an hour before we could have (worried about the Blackwall Tunnel) at 9am,no queues and was 'Airside' within 15 mins.
Boarded the plane,massive legroom,free drink and snack and left ontime.(goodbye Gatwick,never again).
Brilliant flight,landed and had the longish walk to baggage reclaim.Waited 10 minutes and had all 5 suitcases.
Whilst waiting the 10 minutes for the cases it made me grateful i had found this forum.The record car hire desk had about 25 people waiting and the sixt desk had about 15.(a conservative 5 mins for each booking,you work out the wait!)
Pay a lot of money (sixt) or pay the cheapest (record) and in peak times YOU WILL HAVE A LONG WAIT! After research on this forum we went for TERRYS car hire,and are we glad.We followed their instructions to the multi storey and found 'our' car.(wasn't new,about 40000 miles,but was very clean).
This forum again pointed us to the newly available google streetview of Mallorca,so i could have a view of all the 3 major junctions from PMI to Pollensa,it makes life easy!
So,we left home an hour before we could have but still the kids were in the pool 7 hours later,and a journey with absolutely no stress!
1st three tips :- Fly BA
Have a look at your route with Google street view
Rent your car with Terrys.
We booked our villa (alegre) thru' 'AZZURE ' and could not have asked for more!
Again,after looking at google streetview,i new exactly were to go.Located in the residential zone by the football pitch and behind the 'los bocas' (i think!) restaurant on the roundabout between Pollensa town and the Port.So quiet and surrounded by greenery and even GRASS,so nice to walk on instead of the usual marble/granite.Did the 'big' shop at the Eroski supermarket (again i new exactly were to go thanks to streetview) and the first night was at the villa for a bbq.
Every night after was spent at the port.I was going to print off the forums guide to the restaurants but,at the last minute decided not to.My idea for a perfect meal might be your idea of hell and vice versa,so i thought i would make my own mind up.
You will not go wrong in the port when eating out.I cannot say 1 restaurant is better than another,they all serve basically the same stuff at the same price and all give perfect service.As usual,unlike the UK, Europeans treat kids like humans and make the whole experience a pleasure.
My next tips:-
If you are in a party of more then 4-5 you will have to be seated before the golden hour of 8-9pm otherwise you could be dissapointed and hungry,it gets very busy!
Try the restaurants to the left of the port roundabout (as if you are looking from the sea),just as good but i would say,slightly larger portions!
The port and Pinewalk is very safe for kids and a great spot to just eat,drink and people watch.
Mallorca,as every eurozone country is not cheap.Gone are the cheap holidays to the med,they are probably costlier than the UK.
Pollensa is a lovely,quiet place.If you want a stag or hen holiday then forget it! I have been to 'quiet' resorts and felt topping myself.Pollensa has the best of everything, The scenery,the people,the food,the life,the peace and the quiet.You will not find brain numbing nightlife but you will not find the bars shut at 11pm.If you want a bit of 'life' you can find it and if you want relative peace you can find it!
I know what i have written is not a concise view of Pollensa but,i say as i find and i found a beautiful place.A short hop to another world of peace,life and beauty and as the chancellor of the exchequer says 'i recommend this to the house'
I am now thinking of something i said i would never do,and that is book a holiday in the same place i last went to.Pollensa is brilliant and this forum,thanks to the members and visitors,is a mine of info and help.
Thankyou.
Sponsored Links
Old 15-08-2011, 09:30
Super Moderator

Thank you for an excellent report and i am delighted that you have become one of the converted........literally .
Old 15-08-2011, 09:33

Wow! Praise indeed! Can obviously see you are still in that "after PP holiday" glow - and long may it last TC!
You have now joined the smitten group of us who no longer worry that there maybe something better somewhere else!
Old 15-08-2011, 11:45

Welcome to the PP fan club, so glad you enjoyed your holiday.

Brooksy
Old 15-08-2011, 11:45

Great review Converted. It's a great place, isn't it? I think you summed-up the feel and atmosphere of the place very nicely.I first went there about 9 years ago and have been back every year since, except for this year due to various probs, but all sorted now. I can't imagine not having my PP fix and have already booked our flights for next year but not our accommodation yet. I can't agree with you, though, when you say of the restaurants..."they all serve basically the same stuff at the same price and all give perfect service." There's a vast difference in a lot of the eating places when it comes to service, price and choice of food. - some are out of this world, some are average and some are just rubbish. But it's still a great place, can't wait for next year.
Tony
Old 18-08-2011, 09:30

Thank you for taking the time to write this report, and yes we have to have our fix every year. We also hire our car from Terry,s and cannot fault them,
Old 18-08-2011, 12:33

What a great report....thank you. So good to hear you too enjoyed the place as much as the rest of us. DO come back....we've been coming since 1994.

A great tip about London City. My son flies to Palma every year to join us from Gatwick - must suggest that alternative to him. I've flown from Manchester to London City and I think it's a great little airport.

Thanks again.

Duncan
Old 18-08-2011, 15:08

Hi

Really enjoyed your report, Converted and am so glad that you were not disappointed in PP. (who could be) And I agree that this site is a mine of useful information on anything you could ever need to know about PP.

I've just googled Azure and they do seem to have some fabulous villas. I've never heard of them before but have added them to my 'favourites' for future reference
Old 18-08-2011, 18:42

How much were the flights from LCY. I might give it a go myself.

Joey36
Old 24-08-2011, 21:19
Under Moderation

The flights,for 5 seats was about £1150 for the last week in July and return 1st week in August and were booked about 8 weeks beforehand.
If you compare BA at LCY to (NOT SO)Easyjet for 5 seats in June 2012 Easyjet works out about £280 cheaper (at the moment).
Considering i can leave home 1 hour later than if we flew from Gatwick,the people carrier taxi fare was £80 cheaper than going to Gatwick and it took about 15-20 mins from getting out of the taxi to being airside, i will always pay the extra.It is such a good relaxing way to start your holiday,no stress and the kids had little time to play up!!
Having flown Easyjet once i will never do it again,there 'pay extra' to get on board first and anyone sit were you can policy is useless and had our family split up on our last holiday.
Old 25-08-2011, 15:23

Thanks

Joey36