Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-08-2011, 18:07

Default Huge fire

Just looking out from Alcanada over the Alcudia bay and there seems to be a huge fire in the direction of Muro/Manacor. There is so much smoke that it has blacked out the sun.

Anyone know what is happening?
Sponsored Links
Old 21-08-2011, 18:58

I dont know where the fire is but the fire fighting aircraft are operating out of puerto pollensa.
Old 21-08-2011, 19:08

From what I hear there have been a few fires today in Mallorca & yes at the moment looking across the bay in the direction of Alcudia the sky is very dark, evidently (writen by Andrew from his Alcudiapollenca blog he says "there is at present a severe forest fire in Son Servera and close to the resort of Cala Ratjada") ... I have also just seen another fire fighting sea plane take off from the military base going in that direction!! Not good news
Old 21-08-2011, 21:38

This is the latest update from Andrew's blog: ("Cala Ratjada fire update 20.30. The fire broke out around 17.00 and is still threatening homes in the area. The Son Servera fire is under control, though that in Costa d'en Blanes is still also unstable")

He has also put a link to some photos:

(Images from the Cala Ratjada fire from "Diario de Mallorca": Incendio en Capdepera. diariodemallorca.es _generico_ )

There is also now quite a strong smell of smoke in the air around the port
Old 22-08-2011, 07:23

The photos are so dramatic and frightening - some idiot probably started the fire either by accident or deliberately, putting lives, property and wildlife and countryside in danger - makes me so angry
Old 22-08-2011, 08:00

No smoke this morning so it looks like it is out.
Old 22-08-2011, 11:20
Super Moderator

Exclamation Be careful.

There have been many more fires this year and it's mainly due to the fact we had a fairly dry winter and spring. This has left the island like a tinderbox so please people be very careful when you are out and about, don't throw cigarette butts out of car windows and if you are going for a picnic, make sure you don't leave any glass or litter behind. Can i also ask you all to conserve water, i read last week that the islands reservoirs are less than 50% full.
Old 22-08-2011, 15:32

Sparky, RE your comment ' the reservois are less than half full'. Unlike your glass
Old 22-08-2011, 16:52
Super Moderator

I have to keep my fluid intake up Pollensafan .
Old 23-08-2011, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I have to keep my fluid intake up Pollensafan .
Long may you continue!!!
Old 10-09-2011, 22:18

Well, we have been here less than 24 hours and already been involved in one of the many fires that are destroying much of the landscape at the moment. After a lovely afternoon lunch at Crestatx and a wander around the area, we were driving back towards Pollenca Golf when above us buzzed into low view the fire helecopter with its huge red water bag slung underneath. The Canada plane was flying close by, not impeding the helecopters flight path. We were stopped by the guardia civil whilst fire trucks drove into a clearing and we could see smoke billowing hundreds of feet into the air, making visibility difficult for the water drop. But drop it did. The helecopter then flew off and we were allowed to carry on driving. We could see the helecopter then drop low towards the grounds of Pollenca Golf, where it dropped its water bucket into either a lake or a stream - I have not visited the club so do not know the layout - then rose again and flew back to the area. The Canada plane could be seen circling and obviously on spot alert for further oubreaks from the main fire. Even after driving back to Llenaire, we could see the smoke from miles away. The helicopter could no longer be seen, but the plane now seemed to be taking over. Flying back to the sea and plunging in to pick up water. Flying back to the smoking hillside it dropped its huge load above the area where the smoke could be seen, probably now doing a limitation exercise; soaking the area above to avoid it spreading. I do not think there were any human casualties, but you never know what buildings are tucked away behind the trees. A very worrying experience and one I hope we do not see much of on this holiday.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:01

Thank you for such a detailed report Bella. I'm sure it was a scary experience to witness. Fire is so unpredictable. Thank God we have such brave people to fight them. I hope no one was hurt.
This is the second fire in just two weeks - not good. I suppose in time we will learn the cause. Another example for us all to be aware how quickly fire takes hold.

Thanks again Bella - enjoy your holiday - safely!!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:22
Super Moderator

Exclamation Please be careful.

Yes until we have some significant rainfall the entire island remains like a tinderbox and the slightest spark or carelessly discarded glass bottles/jars, cigarette can have a devastating outcome. Although the fire behind the Hotel Uyall was deliberate, a neighbours dispute i am afraid which could have killed people .
Old 11-09-2011, 11:38

Belladonna, I am guessing that the helicopter was taking water from the pool at the golf club.
Old 11-09-2011, 16:21

We justed missed it yesterday, we caught the 5.30 Palma bus from the port, the plane was flying over and police everywhere but we got through ok, that was the second fire we saw, we were on the beach when the one on the front started, really worrying for a time, I went up to see and every fireman and police in the area must have been there. The flames went right up to the back of the hotels and some of the palms at the front were smoking, could have ended up losing all three of the hotels there, and to think it might have been started deliberately

On island time!!