Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Port Pollensa in winter (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/7717-port-pollensa-winter.html)

redshirt 18-07-2011 10:52

Port Pollensa in winter

Hi
we are thinking/looking to have a long stay holiday, 6 weeks, from new year period and wondered if PP would be suitable.

Any views or suggestions??

Mike

lollipop 18-07-2011 11:07

PP is obviously quieter in the winter but it is a good time to do some sight seeing. Weather can be variable with some lovely warm days and other wet,grey days. It is always warmer that UK. There are a selection of restaurants /bars open so you can still eat out. 6th Jan is the Kings holiday so good parade to see,and then 16/17th Jan is San Antoni, with bonfires and tree climbing. So plenty to occupy your time.

Deanscroft 18-07-2011 11:23

What you must realise (it comes as a shock to alot of people spending their first winter here) is that PP is not a winter sun destination. You will need warm clothes. You will need heating. Remember alot of properties here were not built for winter occupation and do not retain heat. Although it rarely freezes here on the coast we do get ground frosts with night temperatures often down to 5c and day temperatures about 10c. However it is not the temperatures that come as a surprise as much as the damp. Having said that when the sun is out and the sky is clear there are few places better. Just come well prepared.

Sparky 18-07-2011 11:42

Hi Redshirt, i actually love the winters here but as Deanscroft says, you do need to be prepared and equipped. To get an idea of the weather and temperatures have a look at this link :- http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...sa-2011-a.html.
There are still plenty of bars and restaurants open as this is a working port and not just a holiday resort.

Belladonna 18-07-2011 12:21

Hi Redshirt, We always come out in November at some point, and love it!
December and January are pretty busy times fiesta wise and a good time to come. February we avoid like the plague!!! Tried a couple of times, and its been cold beyond belief and really damp as Deanscroft said.
You definitely need warm clothing and heating in accommodation. You do get the sun shining sometimes so we always pack sunglasses too!
Saying all that, the north is a lovely place to explore in the winter, with no holdups on roads etc, and plenty of restaurants to visit, many which have the log fires roaring!;)

PP_Kev 18-07-2011 12:38

We have been over for Christmas and also for Sant Antoni in the middle of January (That was an experience). Both great times.

I would say the weather is probably about 10 degrees C warmer than the UK is at the same time

kate1 18-07-2011 12:55

Personally I would rent a villa/apartment that has proper central heating (ie. radiators in all rooms)- not all of them do, and having stayed in several that didn't out of season I would reiterate that it can be COLD. However, January can be beautifully sunny and warm enough for a light jacket rather than a heavy coat. In late January/early February you can see the almond blossom but February is frankly a pretty miserable month weather-wise... January is beautiful without all the crowds!

Harters 18-07-2011 13:24

Assuming that you're wanting to escape the weather in northern Europe, I'd have to say Mallorca would be fairly low down my list of places to stay.

January always finds us in Tenerife - shorts & T shirts during the day, easily warm enough to sit outside restaurants in the evening. And apartment rental prices can be such good value.

car77 18-07-2011 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harters (Post 61904)
Assuming that you're wanting to escape the weather in northern Europe, I'd have to say Mallorca would be fairly low down my list of places to stay.

January always finds us in Tenerife - shorts & T shirts during the day, easily warm enough to sit outside restaurants in the evening. And apartment rental prices can be such good value.

Harters,

Where in Tenerife would you recommend? I'd love to find somewhere as lovely as PP to get some sun in the winter.

Car77

redshirt 22-07-2011 09:57

Hi all
thanks for comments, appreciated....

Mike