Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-06-2011, 19:04

Default Sky tv.

Hi everyone,

A very good evening to you all. Just a quick question. A friend of mine who work for sky tv informs me that if i bring over my sky card, it will work in the sky box in the apartment i rent.

Can anyone shed some light on this please.
Many thanks in advance
Paul G
Sponsored Links
Old 19-06-2011, 19:22

Hi Paul,

Yes this is true although you may not get all your channels. We have done this for a few years.

Star.
Old 19-06-2011, 19:47

Hi Star,
Thanks very much for your reply.
Old 20-06-2011, 08:53

To add a little more details
You receive all FTA channels (BBC1,2,3,4, ITV 1234, Ch4, Ch5 etc) without a card. The channels in the basic Sky package you can receive by using your Sky Subscription card in any Sky Digibox. It is the Premium Channels (Sky Sport, Movies etc) which only work in the box the card is registered to.
Old 20-06-2011, 09:38

Hola

Although I have recently moved over from Sky to a FreeSat TV which receives UK Freesat and also Spanish terrestrial digital TV, when I used a sky box I could not get Channel5 without at least a Skyfreesat card.

I found also the freesat cards I had would only work in the box they were activated in, home or apartment. Even then it took some time (couple of days!) for the card to be recognised.

We also lose some channels (No Signal eg BBC1) around the time the sun sets behind the mountains. This happened with both Sky and UK Freesat. However, now, I can usually get BBC1HD instead with the new TV. I am not sure if this is a problem with the signal/Mountains or if it is the shared dish (no idea how big this is or anything else).

My FlickR Photos
Old 20-06-2011, 11:41

The problem with CH5 is that it is no longer FTA from the Sky Platform. However it is FTA from the Freesat Platform. It is just a case of tuning it in by going into Set Up / Add Channels in the Menu. Everything that is available on Freesat can also be viewed on a Sky Box without the need of a Sky card but may need to be manually tuned in as the search on a Sky box only things channels that are broadcast from the Sky Platform.

General reception here is always a problem as Mallorca is right on the edge of the area for the Astra 2d satelite however there are a number ways to improve the signal -
The bigger the dish the better. 1.5m dia minimum.
A good quality LNB.
A decent digibox
And the bit that is always forgotten - good quality digital satelite cable with no joints and good quality connections with waterproof shrouds (one poor connection can half the signal).
Old 20-06-2011, 15:08

Default channel 5 frequency ????

Hi

Does anyone know the frequency for channel 5 ?
Old 20-06-2011, 15:11

Channel 5 can be found on the freesat platform on 10773 H 22000 5/6
Old 20-06-2011, 15:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanscroft View Post
Channel 5 can be found on the freesat platform on 10773 H 22000 5/6

thanks Deanscroft that was quick !!!!
Old 20-06-2011, 18:54

Thanks Deanscroft

Its great having such a wealth of experts on this forum to keep us right.

Would there be any advantage in reconnecting my sky box as an alternative source of signal? IE are there any channels that the sky box will give for free that the Freesat TV does not have. (Although I would have to disconnect the sat cable from the TV to the sky box if I wanted to use it as I only have one cable).

Would I be able to tune in any additional channels on my freesat TV manually?
Does Spain have a Satellite service. I have tuned into the Spanish Terrestrial service and can set the TV on some channels to give me the English version if they are transmitted in multiple languages.

I think I have asked enough for now!! Brain starting to hurt!!

My FlickR Photos
Old 20-06-2011, 20:26

Hi GL

It works a bit like this.
Your dish is aligned to receive signals from the satelites in geostationary orbit at 28.2 east. These are the Astra satelites 2A/2B/2D and Eurobird 1. Between them these satelites broadcast hundreds of TV & radio channels and your dish receives the lot. It is the receiver or Digibox which decides which ones arrive at your TV. If you have a Sky digibox then only the channels on the Sky platform will be found when using autotune and only those channels show on the EPG (electronic programme guide). The others are there but have to be entered manually. The same is true if you have a Freesat receiver except it is now the channels on the Freesat platform that it sees. Again the rest are there if you know where to look. There is a third option - you can buy a satelite receiver that isnīt dedicated to Sky or Freesat and that will receive everything - the drawback is that there is so much of it and there isnīt an EPG to tell you what is going on.
My opion is that if you have a good Freesat Box (eg Humax Foxsat) then there isnīt much else worth messing around for as Freesat has more FTA channels than Sky - Ch5 being the best example.

Moving on - Spain does have a Satelite Service (Canal) but it is broadcast from a different satelite so you would need a 2nd dish and another digibox.

By Freesat TV I presume you mean TDT television ie. a TV with an inbuilt digital terrestrial receiver. If that is the case then if you have used the inbuilt autotune facility (in good weather conditions) then it should have picked up everything that is available (I think there are about 40 FTA TDT TV and radio channels available in PP)
Old 20-06-2011, 22:58

Thumbs up

Thanks Deanscroft

Its an LG TV has both a Freesat tuner and a TDT. So I think I have every thing covered.

Does anyone have tuning details for any good English Language film channels etc not already automatically Tuned on Freesat/Digital Terrestrial platforms.

"Channel 5 can be found on the Freesat platform on 10773 H 22000 5/6 "

Sorry to be a pain!!Can I ask what the various numbers refer to?

Maybe we could start a list, starting with the Channel5 details that you gave earlier that may be useful to readers?

My FlickR Photos
Old 21-06-2011, 17:16

10773 is the frequency
H is the polarisation
22000 is the symbol rate
5/6 is the forward error correction code

However having this information is one thing. Knowing what to do with it is something else. It then has to be manually enterd into the receiver the method for which depends on the manufacturer and model of the digibox.

If anyone needs help doing this then please send me a private message.