Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   A sign of the times!!!. (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/7415-sign-times.html)

Sparky 22-05-2011 10:47

A sign of the times!!!.

Must be a sign of the times we live in, i noticed yesterday that gates have been put up outside the church. This is obviously to stop the local youths from congregating there late at night, i have taken a couple of pics, you can view them here:- Spring / Summer 2011 - a set on Flickr

pescador2009 22-05-2011 11:30

Hope it is not too much a sign of the times.
Always had very good holidays in P.P. with no hassle from local youths or anyone else for that matter - apart from just once, many years ago.
There was an obstreperous local youth about 16 or 17 with a little crowd of 'cling-ons' aged about 11 or 12. The older youth had a 'getto blaster' - the only one I've seen in P.P. - and was annoying people along the beach on the Pine Walk. After a while, with everyone looking on, I went across and suggested the G.B. may come to some slight harm if he didn't turn it off, or preferably they go! They went!

cherylbb 22-05-2011 12:25

Should be interesting when the footballs get stuck in there!
Thanks for the pics Sparky.

favie 22-05-2011 15:05

LOl @ Cheryl.....they will look like little monkeys climbing over them!:)

Nice gates tho':p

Nick 22-05-2011 20:54

Yes, it's got to be a bit worrying. The only thing is that it will simply move them elsewhere.

As per usual anywhere these days, not much seems to be provided for the kids.

Well done pescador2009........exactly what I'd have done.......but probably a bit more subtley!!!!

kenpool 23-05-2011 00:08

Dear oh dear oh dear. So much negativity. They are just kids looking for somewhere to hang out. Give them a break eh.

Joanne 23-05-2011 05:44

Yes but large groups of teenagers can be intimidating for people

Sparky 23-05-2011 09:38

I think it has been done because they were using the area for drinking and smoking, of course then someone had to clear up the mess they left behind every day.

Smiddy 23-05-2011 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenpool (Post 58967)
Dear oh dear oh dear. So much negativity. They are just kids looking for somewhere to hang out. Give them a break eh.

Maybe, but they're too young to congregate in the bars, so they sit outside with their "carry-outs" 'til all hours making a lot of noise and disturbing people, and unlike the UK the police seem uninterested. I'd give them a break, "Arm or leg"?

whaleywanderer 23-05-2011 11:00

Local youths don't seem to cause much of a problem in PP, but anyway, fortunately they grow up and move on. Shame they are not educated to use the litter facilities provided though!

Nick 23-05-2011 13:26

"Negativity"??? I think not, anyone causing a nuisance needs "advising" of their ways, kids or otherwise. Isn't that how we operate a decent society???

kate1 23-05-2011 13:58

Bear in mind that Spanish (and I'm sure Mallorcan) teenagers are known for being the least rebellious in Europe and the most affectionate and obedient towards their parents... I suspect we notice any slightly annoying behaviour more because it is so much the exception rather than the rule. Were we all little angels when we were teenagers - I think not - I remember sitting around in the local shopping centre with my friends, all doing our best to show loudly how cool we were and I'm sure irritating the adult passers-by... my husband remembers buying cheap cider illicitly in the early 80s and swigging it with his mates in the local park... And we both turned out OK (well, law-abiding, at any rate). Plus ca change, I feel. Can't blame whoever owns the church for wanting to protect their property, though, as unfortunately graffiti does seem to be part of any teenage rebellion these days, and I did notice that it had got worse in PP.

Nick 23-05-2011 14:05

The problem is though, do we use "being a juvenile" as an excuse for bad behaviour?
I think not.

P.S - Graffiti is criminal damage whatever way you look at it - inexcusable.....and last year some moron had drawn a penis and Swastika on the church........please, please no-one tell me that is acceptable behaviour or just "kids growing up"???

kate1 23-05-2011 15:22

No, I agree that some things are way beyond the pale, and graffiti - especially offensive graffiti - is one of them. I did actually say that I thought the gates were a good idea but I think there is a big difference between playing music too loudly on the beach and causing criminal damage. Which isn't to say that I wouldn't have asked them to turn the music down!

Smiddy 24-05-2011 11:02

Don't want to give new members any cause for concern, there is absolutely no malice nor do you feel threatend by the youngsters, but the police do seem uninterested in moving them on as they are a noise nuisance, sitting drinking to 3am is obviously keeping people off their sleep. There's miles and miles of beaches if they want to sit up all night.