Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-01-2010, 18:35

Default Green shoots...?

This is probably more a question for those who live in PP - I seem to be detecting, from the general tone of recent posts, that there may be more of an optimistic atmosphere in the Port this year compared to last. The new location for O'Lume; the opening of Ca'n Torrens: both these restaurants are mentioned as being really busy even though it is January. And other forum members have said they are returning to PP for a holiday, or even several holidays, after giving it a break last year... Is it just wishful thinking, or are businesses, and customers, a bit more positive than they were?
Sponsored Links
Old 21-01-2010, 18:53
Super Moderator

Kate, i think you could say people are " cautiously optomistic " .
I walked through the square just before 10pm last night and there were a few in C'an Torrens, La Piazza was very busy, a few in Cultural and Nostalgia had a good crowd later on. Pretty good for a Wednesday night in January.
Old 21-01-2010, 21:21

Smile

Hve never felt the locals are as doom and gloom as the Daily Bulletin brigade(I mean the writers not the readers) Every year here the hotel groups,unions,barowners etc put their markers up about how bad the picture is but a lot of the time its just a negotiating position to get a better bit of Mallorca Tourisms very big cake(IMO)Foe example, Puerto Alcudia alreday has a lot of hotels open and a lot of bars and they all seem pretty busy,Oh and the pounds finally on the up again so hopefully that is good for the BRit market
Old 22-01-2010, 00:22

Smile

Ray....

I think I must have blinked and missed it. P. Alcudia, we have had a couple of trips there this week and it seemed closed for business and I didnt notice any hotels open. Apart from the front line restaurants open (at the marina)(lovely lunch and reasonable price @ La Cabana), all else appeared closed. But, not having visited at this time of year before, I have no comparison.
But, I agree, as ever, the media, one way or another, interferes, engineers, plots and generally muddies the waters !
Sod 'em, PP, Alcudia and Mallorca, I'm sure will keep going and keep us coming back
Old 22-01-2010, 09:47

Another piece of good news is that, at long last, the Pound is rising against the Euro. Let's hope it carries on...........more to spend !
Old 22-01-2010, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by med777 View Post
Ray....

I think I must have blinked and missed it. P. Alcudia, we have had a couple of trips there this week and it seemed closed for business and I didnt notice any hotels open. Apart from the front line restaurants open (at the marina)(lovely lunch and reasonable price @ La Cabana), all else appeared closed. But, not having visited at this time of year before, I have no comparison.
But, I agree, as ever, the media, one way or another, interferes, engineers, plots and generally muddies the waters !
Sod 'em, PP, Alcudia and Mallorca, I'm sure will keep going and keep us coming back
Leaving the marina and walking towards Can picafort, rest assured hotels are open and some of our French cousins are even plying boule on the beach. back to PP, a lot of the bars and restaurants which have been shut for a few weeks or so are also coming back to life so thats great
Old 23-01-2010, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonsyl View Post
Another piece of good news is that, at long last, the Pound is rising against the Euro. Let's hope it carries on...........more to spend !
Sorry Tonsyl - it's taking a dive again

GG
Old 24-01-2010, 11:27

Think we may as well abandon our hope that the pound will recover to a decent level, that way it becomes more manageable. The days of 1.5/1.6 to the pound now seem like light years ago. I still find you can find very good value on the restaurant side, especialy the ones highlighted on this board, follow them and you won't go far wrong.

My only disappointment on the r/e side is shopping is no longer any fun, the shoes/clothes i used to treat myself to are now so expensive and you'll find far cheaper, with same quality at home. Pity!
Old 24-01-2010, 12:04

Default Oh ye of little faith !

I may well live to regret that remark but I do think there is going to be a recovery in the pound. Maybe not to the 1.50/1.60 but by this summer we should see 1.20/1.30.
Old 25-01-2010, 11:33

We live in hope, but i still think it's better to make adjustments to expenditure, 1.11?1.20? not going to make a significant difference.
Old 13-05-2011, 07:04

Just to re ask Kates question from last year, do people in general feel more positive about this year? Sounds like more restaurants re-opening and money being spent on re-fits. When we were over we saw the evidence with the new places opening and work completed or nearly in Tiberi, Neptuno and Manduca, and in the town some one is spending a fortune on the one in the square. Of cause all the upgrades to the roads and the square as well, last years recovery didn't fully materialise, what about this year?

On island time!!
Old 13-05-2011, 09:18
Super Moderator

Yes i think so. I know there are places that have gone but most of them have been taken over and have re-opened. I can only speak for the people i know and most of them are quite upbeat about the coming season.
I have just read in the Euro Weekly that they are expecting a half a million more British tourists in the Balearics this year.
Old 13-05-2011, 21:20

As usual the Mallorcan way of welcoming the signs of recovery is to try and milk it for every quick euro they can get with no thought for the future. As soon as we have a few extra holiday makers on the island (thanks to the problems in North Africa) than some rstaurant prices jump by as much as 30%. These people may have been persuaded by circumstances elsewhere to visit this year but I doubt that many will return.
Old 13-05-2011, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanscroft View Post
As usual the Mallorcan way of welcoming the signs of recovery is to try and milk it for every quick euro they can get with no thought for the future. As soon as we have a few extra holiday makers on the island (thanks to the problems in North Africa) than some rstaurant prices jump by as much as 30%. These people may have been persuaded by circumstances elsewhere to visit this year but I doubt that many will return.
Please can you let us know which restaurants have increased their prices by 30%

On island time!!
Old 14-05-2011, 01:07

During our recent week 2-9th can't recall seeing any evidence of prices jumping 30% Didn't notice any marked change, indeed taking inflation and running costs into account i'd reckon prices have stagnated.