Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-06-2011, 18:13

Default Car parking charges introduced

After parking my car in the car park on the sea front between Stay and the taxi rank last night, I returned this morning to find a note on my car telling me I was "parked in a restricted zone without displaying a ticket".

Apparantley from 27 June parking fees have been introduced and there are now metres in place to pay & display in that car park, it will no longer be free.
The machines didn´t have any rates on them (very helpful) but a lorry did arrive with 2 boards which I assume they are putting up and which will hopefully have rates on them. The maximum stay is 2 hours, but I am not sure if you can buy another ticket after 2 hours and stay for longer ?? How can anyone have lunch / go shopping / go on a boat trip / walk around the market etc etc in a 2 hour time limit??

Parking fees apply between 8am and 8pm - similar to the way the old metres used to work, but I don´t know if siesta times are free as they used to be.

Several people were expressing their unhappiness as the thought of having to pay but the attendant was having none of it and just kept saying that they must buy a ticket to park...even though no rates were shown

This is just a general warning to everyone so no-one gets caught out.
Happy Parking !
Sponsored Links
Old 30-06-2011, 18:52
Super Moderator

Thanks for the warning UATW, i wonder if this means they are going to put the parking meters up again in the "blue zones". The council must have lost a packet on parking fees last year.
Old 30-06-2011, 19:15

Default Parking fees

Yes Sparky, I am sure they will be putting them up as soon as they get organised - we had a "lucky escape" last year and had free parking all summer, so we can´t grumble.

I have one of the roadside metres opposite our apartment and if I see them installing the metres in the blue zones around the port, I will give everyone the heads up.

I also have to report that the policia local seem to be increasing the number of parking tickets they are giving out - I´ve seen 4 today alone not on my car of course !!! Maybe as summer is here they are less tolerant but please do be warned and park only legally as a quick 5 minute trip to the bank / farmacia / café, could end up costing a lot more than expected.
Old 30-06-2011, 19:33
Banned

Parking tickets are excellent revenue raisers, that's one of the main reasons they're given !!!
Old 30-06-2011, 20:43

Sparky, does that mean you're gonna have to pay to park your tomato!!
Old 30-06-2011, 22:28

Default Early PUN WARNING ;-)

Sparky ! THE SAUCE OF IT! As the vicar once said as he blessed the salad. LETTUCE PAY!
Sorry sorry sorry sorry sorry !
Old 01-07-2011, 00:14

Angry

We stay in an appartment just off the square. When we were there two weeks ago we woke up on Wednesday morning to see the police towing a black focus away. We got speaking to a family later in the week who were staying in an appartment opposite us It turned out to be their hire car that was towed away. They had arrived late on Tuesday night and didnt know about the no parking on market day on that street. A costly mistake to make. A warning to anyone new to the Port.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:24

Default Parking etc

Could this new vigilance be down to a new mayor or is it the usual high season hyke in prices."Let;s get while we can".? One of the advantages of staying out of town just a little way in Gotmar is the ease of parking. During the day it is easy to catch the bus or if feeling energetic, to walk in. I suppose the spaces on the free car park near the school and pool will now be at a premium. Is there a residents parking scheme for People like Sparky and her Ford Tomato? ;-)
Old 01-07-2011, 10:21
Super Moderator

I think it's a case of "A new broom sweeps clean", the new mayor has obviously realised the amount of revenue that was lost last year. IMO it's high time we had someone in charge who had their finger on the pulse. Of course parking charges are not popular with motorists but it's a fact of life in any town anywhere and at least there is still plenty of free parking.
To my knowledge there is no residents parking scheme so Sparky's Tomate could turn up just about anywhere in the port .
Old 01-07-2011, 10:31

A note for Boat owners who keep the boat in the port you can stay up to 8 hours but need to get a pass from the office as the limit for parking is only 2 hours for all other cars.
Old 01-07-2011, 17:07

The way I read the notices on the ticket machine was you took a ticket and if you had not moved your car after two hours you would be booked or towed away. It is the Port Authority that is implementing this and as fil6699 says those who have membership or park a boat can get a permit for longer.

Last edited by lollipop; 01-07-2011 at 17:08. Reason: spelling
Old 01-07-2011, 20:01

Smile Car Parking in the Port Car Park

I went to look at the car park machines this evening.
(The car park near the sea)

The tickets are free! The displayed ticket entitles you to free parking for 2 hours. If you go over the 2 hours, you get done!

People with boats get a ticket which entitles them to 8 hours.

There are temporary printed notices (in a number of languages) attached to the ticket machines.

Cheers!

San Miguel
Old 02-07-2011, 08:07

there's still plenty of free parking in pp but still people park on yellow lines by stay, in the bus stop lanes by the tabac by the roundabout, on the roundabout etc Shame they've introduced charges(nothing to do with the new council)and restrictions, Needless to say lots of locals will continue to park in the restricted zone and willNEVER get towed. It's who you know or who you're related to that counts in mallorca
Old 02-07-2011, 09:41
Super Moderator

Ray, previous posters have said that there is no charge at the carpark, just restrictions.
I have to disagree with you re "Locals NEVER getting towed away" when they have parked illegally, i can assure you they DO, i know of 2 this week alone.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Miguel View Post
I went to look at the car park machines this evening.
(The car park near the sea)

The tickets are free! The displayed ticket entitles you to free parking for 2 hours. If you go over the 2 hours, you get done!

People with boats get a ticket which entitles them to 8 hours.

There are temporary printed notices (in a number of languages) attached to the ticket machines.

Cheers!

San Miguel

Can you go back and get another ticket within the 2 hours and get another 2 hours free? If you can - that wont last long I bet!