Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 20:49

Default Possible permanent move of the PP market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
the Town Hall are to survey the market stallholders asking if they would prefer to stay in the carpark or move back to the square after the work is complete.
Aggghh.... expletive deleted! It would be nice if the wretched council we have in PP also sought the opinion of homeowners in and around the carpark as well as the market stall holders. Some chance!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2011, 22:33

Hi James
Being a rebel are you saying the people of the square have to except the market but the people of the car park area don't. Did they square have a say. I am quite happy for the market in our area of the square as it is a part of pp, we must embrace change if that is what is best but make sure it is right for every one not just a few.
I must stop posting when I come back from the pub
Regards
Rebel
Old 10-03-2011, 22:49

I'm certainly no rebel but what I am saying is that if (1) there is to be a possible change and (2) there is to be a consultation then that consultation should INCLUDE the people who will be affected by it - i.e. those who live in and around the carpark rather than not canvas their opinions!

The same goes for the opinions of the people and businesses in and around the square. I'm sure some of the bar and restaurant owners in and around the square would be just as up in arms in contemplating the permanent loss of passing trade on Market day arising from the move as those who live in and around the carpark would not want the weekly inconvenience caused by the Market being held there becoming permanent.

Last edited by James; 10-03-2011 at 22:53.
Old 10-03-2011, 23:03

Really understand the issues here. As a general observation though, on any change, if you consult with everyone who might be affected nothing would ever get done because there are SO many agendas. And can I add that I haven't seen first hand what's happening in the square yet so I will reserve some judgement.
Old 10-03-2011, 23:07

Hi James
I'm the rebel not you, From your post you said "if the wretched council we have in PP also sought the opinion of homeowners in and around the carpark as well as the market stall holders."
You said nothing of the businesses in and around the square, It came over to me as if you did not wan't the market in your area for what ever reason.
Regards
Rebel
Old 10-03-2011, 23:14

I would add that the carpark was finally 'built' by the council after years (decades) of local pressure to replace the dirt track previously there and to *partially* address the severe lack of parking space PP suffers all year round and intensely in the summer tourist season.

Where, particularly when both the Market and number of people visiting the Market in the summer months are much bigger, are both the stall holders and travelling visitors to the Market meant to park when the carpark is closed?

Last edited by James; 11-03-2011 at 08:50. Reason: Deleting suggestion of new thread on Market relocation following its creation
Old 11-03-2011, 09:44

There is definitely a shortage of parking in the area even as it stands. In summer months its virtually impossible to find a parking space anywhere straight off, you have to keep driving around in the hope of someone driving away from one - either along the road or in the car parks. To do away with any designated parking area is tantamount to causing more congestion and road rage!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:05

I personally hope they do move the market back to the square after the work's completed. I can't think of anything worse than it being in the carpark. Part of the whole experience is wandering round the square, stopping off for a coffee or beer, bumping into friends and sitting watching the hustle and bustle. It would not have the same atmosphere in the car park and I'm sure many people wouldn't bother going anymore if it was to remain there. Just my thoughts.....
Old 11-03-2011, 10:11

Absolutely. Markets are always held in the main square if practical, it would be tourist let down if they had to wander into a carpark for it! Total lack of ambience and a real heel killer too!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:07
Super Moderator

I am not sure if the town hall will bother to ask the businesses in and around the square for their opinions but i can guess what the replies would be.
In my opinion it is an absolutely ridiculous plan, even in winter when the market is much smaller it has caused parking problems, so come summer PP will be gridlocked. I also don't think the carpark will be big enough in summer as there are many more stalls then and they can't set up along Roger de Flor and Vicenc Buades as these are the main roads in and out of the Port.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:29

There may be a secret agenda, hence the reason that the plans for the square are not available. Could it be that they are thinking of turning the square into a new car park!!!!!!???????????
Old 11-03-2011, 11:39
Super Moderator

OMG!!! Whaley, don't give them any more ideas please!!!!.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
There is definitely a shortage of parking in the area even as it stands. In summer months its virtually impossible to find a parking space anywhere straight off, you have to keep driving around in the hope of someone driving away from one - either along the road or in the car parks. To do away with any designated parking area is tantamount to causing more congestion and road rage!!!
Bella,

I've told you before 25 Euros per hour at the Bonynest , it's a snip , Babe especially if you're feeling romantic !!!!!

BonysLad
Old 11-03-2011, 13:21

I can think of something that deserves a snip that would kill the romance!

I would prefer to see some land used for a carpark which is slightly out of town and just walk in, but not sure what the equivalent of "green belt" land is, and how far it extends to the north of PP.
Old 16-03-2011, 21:41
Super Moderator

If you are friends with TOTN on Facebook, they are running a poll on whether you think it should be moved away from the square permanently.