Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-01-2011, 21:46

Post Renovation of The Square

I heard from a resident of the square that they have all been given leaflets advising them that the renovation of the square will start next week and that the market will be relocating to the big car park. Apparantly there will be a meeting in the Cultural on Tuesday evening showing residents the new plans of how it should look. They hope to complete the work in 2 months.
No news of how it will look yet but some of the locals say it involves more paving. It will be interesting to see as I think it does need a revamp.
However, the restaurant owners around the square are declaring it a "Creesis" () as they knew nothing about it and are worrying it may overrun the time schedule and affect their businesses!!:

Car77

Last edited by car77; 29-01-2011 at 21:50.
Sponsored Links
Old 29-01-2011, 21:51

How on earth can it involve more paving!!?? Will that mean chopping down all the trees that are there then? Not a good thought.
And talk about short notice for the local businesses - manana to start and goodness knows how many mananas to finish!
Old 30-01-2011, 10:05
Banned

Bring it on, bring it on !!!! It is way overdue for a revamp.

To be honest, that's all it needs, a revamp. 2 months hard work would massively improve it and if done on schedule will be completed way before the tourist season begins. Can't see what the local business owners have to moan about.......only a couple open anyway?

Hopefully they will go ahead.
Old 30-01-2011, 10:52
Super Moderator

The lady that owns the Tabac shop off the square was talking about this last night and she says the work will take 3 to 4 months to complete. Apparently the funding of 4€ million has come from Madrid and while i agree that the square is in need of a revamp i think the paving is fine, it's the garden areas that need sorting out especially as we have lost so many palm trees.
There are plenty of pavements in and around the port that need repairing, so hopefully they will spend some of this money outside of the square.

Nick i think the business owners that have persevered through a very quiet winter will argue that this proposed work will drive away any business that there is. They are happy for the gardens to be improved but feel the paving is fine as it is.

Last edited by Sparky; 30-01-2011 at 11:02.
Old 30-01-2011, 11:34

Whilst I wholeheartedly welcome the arrival of CAPPUCCINO Grand Café at Sis Pins -it will raise standards in the port in a way a naff cafe selling english breakfasts at 4 euros never will,(not agin' naff cafes, but everything has it's place) I must have some reservations on the future vibrancy of the Square. If Cappuccino becomes the in place for the trendy moneyed visitor and locals, and nearby premises tag on to it's coat tails and up their game to cream off some of that 'spend', then the Square could be left as an also ran. It won't be a place to people watch if there are no interesting people!

Here, Morrisons have just taken over an abysmal Coop superstore within the town centre shopping area - and seen a huge increase in shoppers from out of town. Further down the road Tesco have started building a new store -across the road Aldi opened a new store last year. Before anyone shouts 'Tescoply! they are taking over the world' - residents here are overwhelmingly in favour of these developments, and this argument is not the point of this post.
The point is that as a town centre grows, develops, the centre can 'move'. In our case, the town square (the conventional centre of the town) becomes less busy as shoppers and visitors are attracted to the newer developments at the other end of the 'main street'. This movement started when the Coop opened their store 10 years ago. New independent shops tended to open near to the Coop store - after all this is where the footfall was. Tesco and Aldi have just followed the trend.
Back to the PP Square - will there be enough activity in the square to keep *ums on seats?
I certainly hope so - if the Council are spending some money, hopefully the spend will be so designed to keep the (mainly) visitors happy and the square vibrant and interesting.
The Square as a sort of 'destination',has been a little dull and disapointing over the last couple of years.
Even so, wouldn't miss our visits to PP for the world!!
Old 30-01-2011, 12:43

Interesting reading Clinkham and yes we have seen similar things happen in town centres in our area as well

However I am not so sure the square was ever THE central meeting place for visitors to PP .......

Many people choose to have their after dinner drinks outside the cafe's and Hotels on the front

We have always had our nightcap at the Sis Pins and are really looking forward to Capuchinos with only 1 small reservation and that is whether we will be able to get a table for our nightcap

So whilst I am sure Capuchino may bring some extra visitors to the front, it is not the case that the "centre" will move as I think the numbers on the front are about equal if not greater than those that choose to have their nigjtcap in the square

Same with earlier dining .... many dine in the square and let their children play with others in the square and an equal number dine on the front and let the children play on the beach ........... and it has always been the case .......... who can ever forget the multi national football games that used to take place amongst the children outside the Coach House ( now Little Italy ) or the groups of children who used to sit on the sideways trunk of that great old pine tree that was just outside , eating their ice creams and communicating well with one another despite being clueless to the language they all spoke

Getting back on thread ....... I think both initiatives are good for PP ....... yes I do sympathise with the bar and restaurant owners who may loose business whilst the improvements take place ....... but things will be better as a result and providing their food is good, ambiance inviting and prices appropriate ....... people will use them.
Old 30-01-2011, 13:01
Banned

Lot of good points here......and of course it's why we have a forum.

I fully appreciate businesses at the moment need to be able to function in these times but the square is in DESPERATE need of a makeover and that's the whole point. A simple makeover in my view will freshen it up and should encourage more visitors, particularly the kind we need in PP.

As mentioned, it's mainly the area fenced in with the railings and the dead tree stumps that need sorting. The paving does seem fine, nothing a good pressure wash wouldn't sort out, and maybe a central feature such as a fountain?

But yes, let's hope that 2 months is exactly that and not a Spanish 2 months!!!

Also, the coffee bar at Sis Pins can only be good. PP caters for all sorts.
Old 30-01-2011, 13:28
Super Moderator

I must remember to keep the camera in my bag so you can all see how things progress.
Old 30-01-2011, 14:19
Banned

That would be much appreciated Sparky as the renovation of the main square is something I've wanted to see for some time now.

If/when done it can only enhance PP and in particular the businesses around the square that I always visit on my trips.

Can't wait !!!!
Old 30-01-2011, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I must remember to keep the camera in my bag so you can all see how things progress.
Do you think Jose at Bony could cope with a webcam????
Old 30-01-2011, 22:35

Spending money on the square! The council needs to get it's priorities right and sort out the beautiful palm trees which had enhanced the ambience of the Port; attracting tourists and being good for business and residence alike. Reflagging the square, is the council having a laugh!!!!!!!
Old 31-01-2011, 15:12

4 million is a lot to spend. It should be more than enough to cover the hard landscaping, trees and gardens. It would be nice to see the existing paving replaced with some quality marble. There might even be some money left over for a statue of Juan Miro, Ramon Llull, Junipero Serra, or even............. Jose. Suggestions please........

Adios

Dave
Old 31-01-2011, 16:43
Banned

A webcam at Bony's............now that would be interesting..........particularly if trained on the premises.

It would be hilarious !!!!

"sunshine" is dead right about the palm trees, they urgently need replacing. I guess the problem at the moment is that until this beetle pest thing is sorted out it is pointless replacing them?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:31
Super Moderator

Well it must have been fun early this morning at the car park because yesterday afternoon there were still a lot of cars in there with warning tickets on them, i wonder how many got towed away .
Work is due to start today and i will wander down later to see what, if anything, is happening. I am told the plans are actually looking very good and i am going to try to get a copy or take photos but i will keep you all informed on how things are going.

P.S have just seen a photo on Facebook taken by Ann McDonald of the market in it's new home.

Last edited by Sparky; 02-02-2011 at 18:43. Reason: P.S added.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:36

Thanks Sparky it will be good to get regular updates on progress

On island time!!