Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-12-2010, 21:40

Default Smoking Ban ????

Don't wan't to start the perennial debate about smoking in restaurants and bars , Yawn , Yawn but read in the British press that it is being introduced this Sat ( 1st ) . Thought it was getting delayed til July 1st ???.

Sparky , what's the news on the ground ???

Bonyslad ( Blowing the best Havana smoke from a cigar rubbed between the thighs of a Cuban 17 year old beaut all over Bonyladette !!! )

Sponsored Links
Old 30-12-2010, 21:49
Super Moderator

BL it is actually becoming law on 2nd January, it's going to be interesting to see who will enforce it though, i have been talking to bar owners and they have not had any official info.
Old 30-12-2010, 22:20

Thanks Sparky,

So it's the old " Spanish Practice " eh ??? . Sound's a lot like France where it was widely ignored .

Keep us posted and keep lighting up !!!

Happy New Year to you and Colin.

BonysLad
Old 31-12-2010, 01:20
Super Moderator

I couldn't possibly break the law BL, there was an interesting front page headline in the DB today ..."War of words over smoking ban" in which Pilar Carbonell the president of the Restauratauters Association cannot be held responsible for the action of others and all they and bar owners can do is to call the police if someone insists on smoking.
I will of course keep you posted . HAPPY NEW YEAR
Old 31-12-2010, 11:58
Banned

Bring on the ban.........
Old 31-12-2010, 13:47

Default Smoking Ban

The Irish thought it would "never be enforced" the Scots "It would never be enforced" but once the bar owners understood it was a £5000 fine, it WAS enforced, and from day one..

I know this subject keeps coming up, but Spain ,either enforce it or not, stop playing lip service to it every now and then, it should be remembered the majority of people who visit don't smoke. In a soceity were most of the time is spent outdoors i really don't see the problem in banning it indoors.
Old 31-12-2010, 14:15

[QUOTE=nickpaulanoah;53003]Bring on the ban.........[/QUOTE

Just have a little think about what the smoking ban has done to Bars etc in the UK .Its Tough enough for the bar owners to make things pay so before you all start yelling Bring on the Ban and Off with his head spare a thought .
personally I would rather see bars and restaurants open and not boarded up making the port buzz with activity. And if the Ban has the same negative impact in PP as it has in other countries then I say leave well alone. Weather you smoke or not please try to look at the bigger picture
Old 31-12-2010, 15:05
Banned

Well said Smiddy.

fil6699 - I don't understand......you're surely not telling me that it's too difficult to walk a couple of yards to smoke outside in such a great climate rather than breathe disgusting cigarette smoke over others?? Nonsense.

Non-smoking bans do NOT close bar/pubs/restaurants. Ignorance towards others does. Premises are closing due to the economic climate, nothing else.

Also, while "looking at the bigger picture" as you put it, imagine the extra custom a smoking ban will attract from non-smokers if it is brought in.

Smoking is a disgusting habit end of, fact. But if an individual wants to poison themselves then fine. Just don't do it near me or others who do not smoke.
Old 31-12-2010, 16:36
Super Moderator

Ok guys lets calm down, the simple fact is that as of Sunday smoking in enclosed public spaces is banned. I will abide by the law as i did when it happened in the UK but when the weather was bad i stayed home as i will here. However the climate here is much better so i will still be contributing to the local economy as well as paying the tabacco tax which has just increased here.
Old 31-12-2010, 17:14
Banned

Wow.....double whammy then. No smoking in enclosed public spaces and extra tax on fags which means more money into the economy?!

Yeehaa.......
Old 01-01-2011, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpaulanoah View Post
Well said Smiddy.

fil6699 - I don't understand......you're surely not telling me that it's too difficult to walk a couple of yards to smoke outside in such a great climate rather than breathe disgusting cigarette smoke over others?? Nonsense.

Non-smoking bans do NOT close bar/pubs/restaurants. Ignorance towards others does. Premises are closing due to the economic climate, nothing else.

Also, while "looking at the bigger picture" as you put it, imagine the extra custom a smoking ban will attract from non-smokers if it is brought in.

Smoking is a disgusting habit end of, fact. But if an individual wants to poison themselves then fine. Just don't do it near me or others who do not smoke.
You are so consumed with anti smoking you missed my point ahh well never mind. I am neither for or against such a ban I was just pointing out that despite what you may or may not think the ban has had a negative impact on the Licence trade in other countries that is a fact.( not me saying it a financial fact) and I think you will find that is why the bar owners and restaurant owners in PP are concerned. And who can blame them? All I was saying is spare a thought for them.
Old 01-01-2011, 16:32

I think the reason pubs are closing down at an alarming rate in the UK has nothing to do with any smoking ban but more to do with the ridiculous cheap alcohol that can be bought off supermarket shelves.eg 1 bottle of becks in local pub £2.50 6 pack of becks in Asda £5.00
Old 01-01-2011, 16:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyboaby View Post
I think the reason pubs are closing down at an alarming rate in the UK has nothing to do with any smoking ban but more to do with the ridiculous cheap alcohol that can be bought off supermarket shelves.eg 1 bottle of becks in local pub £2.50 6 pack of becks in Asda £5.00

And of course the drink driving laws. Many people have friends nights in now rather than pay the high prices plus taxi fares etc. They can also smoke all they want in private homes.

Personally I am not a smoker and prefer to be in a smoke free zone. The point is of course - the law is the law and that is it. If it comes in then it is non negotiable and to be respected.

Last edited by eleanor; 01-01-2011 at 16:52.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:53
Super Moderator

Aparently it is the Policia Local that will mainly be enforcing the ban, from today anyone caught smoking faces a 30€ fine but the poor bar/restaurant owners can be fined anything from 600€ to 10,000€ .
Old 02-01-2011, 15:00

That certainly does seem a rather large gap in fines. I would imagine it is set at that price because the owners tend to turn a bline eye. It will therefore become "self policing" in all establishments, which is only right and lawful.
Bit like wearing seatbelts - the passenger is not the only one to be fined, its the driver too!