Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 18:53

Default Need for a clean up in PP

I have thought for some time that the council have let alot of the streets off the front line go as far as cleaning is concerned, but the promenade today right up to and including the pine walk was covered in dog mess, and they can't blame the holidaymakers as there are hardly any here. It's incredible because yesterday walking around in both Port alcudia and the old town of Alcudia both places were so much cleaner and really seem to be trying to tackle the problem. It's great to see more bars and restaurants staying open but the council have to do their bit for winter tourism as well(oh and the dog owners)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2010, 11:12

Have to agree with you there Ray unfortunately. This subject just keeps on cropping up and it's a surprise that it hasn't filtered through to the right people - there's always someone who knows someone somewhere!
Whilst out there recently we did see a lot of responsible dog owners walking around with their little plastic bags which was great, but also towards the end of the season and now well into it, there are a lot of dogs just allowed to wander around on their own.
As you say, Alcudia can make it work, why on earth cant The Port? Do Alcudia have heavy fines in place, or are the people there just far more aware of having a pleasant place to live in?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:17

As Belladonna quite rightly says, this subject does keep cropping up. Those who don't notice either have their eyes closed, or don't 'do' the Pine Walk' (and many other areas).
Have there been any positive results from the Local Council following the mass 'demo' - mainly by locals including many businessmen / women - back in early June?
Cleaning up P.P. was a major part of their 'agenda'.
I know there was a token effort by the Council in the days immediately after the 'demo' but it doesn't seem to have continued!
We all love P.P. just as much as the locals, lets hope something positive can be done.
I fear that without big fines on the "little old ladies with their little old doggies" (yes, we've all seen them) not a lot will happen!
Old 09-12-2010, 14:51

Ah, the little old ladies with their pocket rats! The ones whose feet have never touched the pavements I've been complaining about the mess for years, but another problem is the constant barking of dogs, OK that's what dogs do, but there doesn't seem to be any effort to stop it. Drives me nuts!
Old 09-12-2010, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Have to agree with you there Ray unfortunately. This subject just keeps on cropping up and it's a surprise that it hasn't filtered through to the right people - there's always someone who knows someone somewhere!
Whilst out there recently we did see a lot of responsible dog owners walking around with their little plastic bags which was great, but also towards the end of the season and now well into it, there are a lot of dogs just allowed to wander around on their own.
As you say, Alcudia can make it work, why on earth cant The Port? Do Alcudia have heavy fines in place, or are the people there just far more aware of having a pleasant place to live in?
years ago the council set up a dedicated dog toilet outside the eroski at the aeroplane roundabout, but i never see anyone go near it(nor eroski either for that matter!)I think alcudia seems to have many more of these little stands with free plastic bags for disposing of dog mess, and of course mallorcans like anything thats free, so maybe thats th e answer!
Old 09-12-2010, 19:01

Do you think we should write to the council? as individuals or as a Forum

Does anyone have an address?

Council Offices
Poo de Pollenca
Mallorca

Sounds about right!!

Sorry to make fun but it is a serious problem that does need dealing with.

Does anyone know how to set up a petition?

My FlickR Photos
Old 09-12-2010, 21:30

They have a web site, but of course it's in catalan. That wouldn't stop people bombarding them with e mails in English though. A number of the council employees speak excellent English although they avoid doing so in all dealings with us foreigners! The site is something like Ajuntementopollenca.com
Old 09-12-2010, 22:35

I have often received "round robins" which ask you to put your name on the end and pass it on - or send direct to the govt or some such other cause. Could this be done in some way? A sort of "virtual" petition?
Old 10-12-2010, 07:51
Banned

I've mentioned the subject of dog mess on this forum many times before and really agree with all the above comments. It's disgusting and avoidable, end of!!!

It is just so irresponsible of the dog owners. As said, you don't see it in Alcudia so why does PP have to put up with it? Is it the fact that dog owners are less bothered in PP or the fact that the council do not clean it up? Fine them and confiscate their dogs for a period. That would sort them out.

The town really does now need to get a grip on sorting out the dog mess and repairing the broken lights and removing general rubbish and graffitti. I mean, it's not exactly difficult or expensive is it? They can find millions for bypasses and walkways. I find it baffling. It is just the sort of thing that will put off repeat custom and in this day and age that could have a disastrous impact on what is such a beautiful place.

Maybe the council has become too complacent?

With reference to "Hola its GL's" comments re a council website, would anyone know their e-mail atall 'cos I'll happily bombard them!!!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 20:00

Smile Complaints to the Council

Try this link. It should take you to a form to make a complaint or give feedback to the council in Pollenca. It should be in English!
Town Hall Pollença

I hope this is useful.

Frito

Last edited by frito; 10-12-2010 at 20:05.
Old 10-12-2010, 22:50

I do not want to sound negative however . . . . you are wasting your time!! I have been battling this one for so many years now that I just do not know what else to do. The worst road is the one that runs from Bisanyes down to the sea front passing infront of the La Gola wet area. The town hall is well aware of the problem, it is well aware that it is one of the top subjects for complaints from tourists during the season, there is a law and a penalty charge however the last time I asked, in a meeting a few years ago, whether anyone had actually been fined the reply was that they had not. Things to do.
1. Complete complaint form in the tourist info office on sea front. (mind the dog mess infront)
2. Pop a complaint into Punt informatiu office (twice monthly local pollensa newspaper)- just off Plaza Monnares in Pollensa (mind where you walk) or leave a clear slowly spoken message on their `readers view´hotline on 971 53 38 50. If someone can do it in spanish or mallorcan for you even better.
3. Go to see the councillor for Port - I think she visits every Wednesday am - above social security dr and make a complaint in writing.
4. Point out to owners of dogs . if they are accompanied - that there dog should not be doing xxxx there -or if they are they should clear up after them. If the dog is not accompanied you could point out the error of the ways to the dog as the response will be similar to that of reminding the ignorant owner. hehehe
On a positive note, I have seen a small increase in people walking their dogs with little bags . . . but rarely see anyone actually using it.
Alcudia is way ahead of us which is very frustrating when over 20years ago it was the pits!!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:54
Banned

Frito and JMD40 - thank you both for that. The link to the town hall in Pollenca does come up and I will be filling it in in due course.

Cheers.
Old 11-12-2010, 13:04

JMD - have to say I love point 4!

Have looked at the complaint form - thanks for the link frito - and may well be putting my 2euros worth to them.
One question though - obviously lost in translation - but what does it want in the box requestion "population"!!?? Is this an address request?
Old 11-12-2010, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray View Post
They have a web site, but of course it's in catalan.
Just one question Ray, what language did you think it would be in?

On island time!!
Old 11-12-2010, 21:31

sws I think ray meant of course it's in Catalan as in naturally! At least that's how most people would have taken it. Why the sarcasm or was it your attempt at dry humour?