Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-11-2010, 20:13

Default druggies and drunks in PP

Shame about the group who hang around the park leading up to the Bouquer valley walk, sitting around with their pit bulls and cans of shouting water, I'm sure some people could find it quite intimidating. I think it's the lot who hang around the car park in the summer. Also botellons now seem to be de riguer in the new La Gola park, not really what it was intended for
Sponsored Links
Old 22-11-2010, 11:17

My daughter and boyfriend are planning to stay up by the Illa D'or at the end of March for a week and I will be concerned about them walking back at night if they have to pass the "druggies and drunks".
Old 22-11-2010, 11:45

Have to say in all my years of coming to PP and walking up and down the Pine Walk, at whatever time of day, I have never, ever seen anyone drunk (not offensively, anyway!), let alone drugged. I have to say I have never even seen anyone drinking from cans in the streets. I have seen one guy (I think not Mallorcan - have seen him several times now so he must live there) with a pitbull-type dog who hangs around the streets of PP in the daytime. Admittedly he has a slightly menacing air, and I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him, but it is easy to give him a wide berth. Mind you, I have never been to the park Ray is talking about - I doubt many holidaymakers would have reason to, certainly not at night and not in March. I honestly don't think you need to worry about your daughter at all. PP is a much safer place to be at night than the average British town especially if you stick to the main, well-lit areas.
Old 22-11-2010, 13:06

We have visited PP every year for the past 23 and until one fairly minor incident out of season in February a couple of years ago in C Medico Lopez, would quite happily walk around very late at night somestimes on my own. I think it gave me a bit of a wake up call.

I love PP out of season and my husband and I usually stay in a flat in Mendez Nunez but when the Puerto Azul, Flora and Ora Playa are all shut the streets are very dark and deserted in that area and was therefore concerned. I don't know what the Pine Walk is like late in the evening at that time - always plenty of people walking up and down in the Summer months. Anyway if she does decide to stay at the top end, a short taxi ride may be the best bet after dinner and a visit to Nostalgia!
Old 22-11-2010, 14:29
Founder

Our apt is not far from the Boquer valley and the Avenida Bocchoris which leads up to it and Yes we do sometimes notice groups of people hanging about but they have never bothered us and it really wouldn't worry me to walk about there at any time.

You can always cross over to the other side if you're concerned. Anyone staying at the Illa d'Or is unlikely to be walking back that way. I really wouldn't worry.
Old 22-11-2010, 14:42
Banned

I think you have to put these things into context really.

Yes, a group of youths hanging around a park with their ferocious looking dogs and drinking alcohol is imtimidating and the police should know and be doing something about it. The fact is that invariably you push the problem to another area and maybe it's best contained in a park that is reasonably isolated?

There does seem to be a fashion in PP for these ferocious looking dogs I must admit. And they are expensive dogs as well, but then PP is a fairly affluent area.

Youths will hang around wherever you are. As long as they keep themselves to themselves then while not ideal at least the problem is contained.

We all see and love PP in such a way that maybe we are somewhat blinkered?

Crime and anti social behaviour is rife everywhere these days. I think PP is somewhat fortunate that it's relatively low key as far as I'm aware in the area?

Marilyn, my apartment is between C/Metges Llopis and Mendes Nunez - what was the incident that occurred if I may ask please?
Old 22-11-2010, 20:13

Nothing too serious. Some young kids used to hang around outside what was the old dress shop on the corner opposite Naciente. We were walking back one Sunday night after dinner feeling quite mellow, when a young boy - probably only about 13 - ran up and snatched my husband's filofax out of his hand and then ran off. It shook me up a bit at the time and I am now a bit more vigilant as I would be at home which is no bad thing. Certainly hasn't stopped us from returning again and again.
Old 23-11-2010, 12:44
Banned

Thanks for that update Marilyn................at least it was a theft and not a robbery.

Hopefully that is about as bad as it gets ???
Old 03-12-2010, 11:40

I have a dangerous looking dog, but it doesnt mean that he is dangerous. Most small dogs, like chihuahuas look sweet but they are more agressive.
As long as the person has the dog on a leash, there should be a problem.

Also, I do botellon in the summer because the bars are expensive and full of smoke. Id much prefer to be outside, drinking a beer for 0.50 cents from the supermarket and talkins with friends, then being in a bar and paying 4 times the price and getting cancer from the smoke.
Old 03-12-2010, 13:34

I think you have made a very valid point Timberlake. It is so easy to make value judgements based just on vision. I think the problem is that in some parts of Britain youngsters have dangerous looking dogs as they think it gives them some sort of status. It can therefore be quite intimidating to the passer by. If a dog is well trained and under control then there shouldn't be a problem. Often its the owners who need the training! I prefer dogs to some humans! lol