Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Thrush Hunting season has begun :( (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/6810-thrush-hunting-season-has-begun.html)

Mark 05-11-2010 18:52

Thrush Hunting season has begun :(

I did not know that thrushes where hunted in Mallorca until I read about it today :(

As a keen outdoor/nature/wildlife type of person it's a bit sad.

Read about it here on the Mallorca photo blog

Hunting The Thrush Mallorca Daily Photo Blog

and here from last year on the same site:

Tordos and Thrushes Mallorca Daily Photo Blog

Thrushes are on the decline in the UK I think, we did have some living in our garden in the summer.

The birds that we feed every day are someone elses pest.

Those that migrate to warmer places for food might not come back.....

Mark.

sws97sdg 05-11-2010 19:42

Hi Mark
I did not know the season starts today, I do know that people all over the Mediterranean choose to shoot birds of all sizes and species, for what ever reason its a shame I know

Kym 05-11-2010 20:06

It's barbaric! How can anyone fund pleasure in stalking and killing birds and animals? What sad and disgusting human beings these people are. Maybe one day they may find their comeupance!!
They should stick to scrabble!!

andrew711 05-11-2010 20:55

Mark, thanks for your mention of Klaus's excellent blog.
Hunting is an aspect of rural Majorcan life that gets overlooked. There is an annual hunters' meeting that occurs in different parts of the island. Nowadays though it is licensed and is primarily intended to cull populations of thrushes and other birds - starlings and partridges for example - as well as rabbits and goats. Little is for sport. Goats, yes. The rest, not. Much of it is also done in areas where bird and other wildlife congregates in large numbers, such as Albufera or Son Real near Can Picafort. It does attract opposition from the environmentalists, but its purpose is meant to be control.
I recognise this is an issue than can upset. Not saying it's right or wrong, but hunting is a fact of Majorcan life.

Mark 05-11-2010 21:00

There are recipes, here is one translated with google,

Google Translate

original is spanish:
Recetas de Tordos - Consejos y Recetas en dooyoo.es - Accesorios y ofertas similares

more recipes:

tordos receta - Google Search

Each to their own I suppose.

-

sws97sdg 05-11-2010 21:17

Yes I have heard thrushes are needed to be controlled all over, their numbers are increasing so much!

Mark 05-11-2010 21:32

They are on the decline here in England though.

The RSPB: Song thrush

maybe they should be caught and transported to England and released in a nice forest in Yorkshire. :)

Mark 05-11-2010 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew711 (Post 52134)
Mark, thanks for your mention of Klaus's excellent blog.

That is an excellent blog that I read most days and if you are the Andrew that does that other blog I read that every day :)

Quote:

Hunting is an aspect of rural Majorcan life that gets overlooked. There is an annual hunters' meeting that occurs in different parts of the island. Nowadays though it is licensed and is primarily intended to cull populations of thrushes and other birds - starlings and partridges for example - as well as rabbits and goats. Little is for sport. Goats, yes. The rest, not. Much of it is also done in areas where bird and other wildlife congregates in large numbers, such as Albufera or Son Real near Can Picafort. It does attract opposition from the environmentalists, but its purpose is meant to be control.
I recognise this is an issue than can upset. Not saying it's right or wrong, but hunting is a fact of Majorcan life.
I know, it's a way of life and I accept that really, it is the traditional way.

We are all in Europe though and here in England if anyone was caught shooting thrushes and making a casserole with them they would probably be prosecuted and it would be all over the news.

-

sws97sdg 05-11-2010 21:44

Sorry Mark I was trying to be ironic and failing badly, any killing of animals in the name of controlling of numbers is barbaric when it comes to small harmless songbirds even if it is tradition

Kym 05-11-2010 22:00

Glad you agree with me sws. I would go even further and say it was sick. These people who kill always find a way of justifying what they do. Anyone who can kill a living creature that is of no threat to them needs to take a good look at themselves!

As for recipes - well what can one say?

med777 06-11-2010 00:35

some folks are from a different planet ( and I wish they would go back there ! )

Earth would work, but for the intervention us. Some of it, we can't avoid, but some we create.

We just have to live with those who hunt...not for the table, but for the pleasure. Sickening. But if they just left it alone... it would all even out and a natural harmony would come back to how it is supposed to work. But then there would be no 'hidden' agenda to hide behind.

just my opinion.
Miriam

Kym 06-11-2010 07:31

Miriam I have no idea what your opinon is? I really do not understand what you are saying here? Are you suggesting I'm from another planet and need to return? My posts are clear in meaning!
Again on this planet or another I feel it is barbaric to hunt and destroy life for no reason other than we can. What gives man the right to feel so superior that the decision of life or death Is theirs? This planet or another!
Off my 'other planet now' taking my opinions and views with me!!!!

jamierun26 06-11-2010 08:42

Does anyone know of any restaurants in PP that serve thrush as I wouldnt mind giving it a go.

phil 06-11-2010 09:35

Don't know offhand, suppose you could try sparrows.

med777 06-11-2010 09:36

Hiya Kym,

I was agreeing with u ! Sorry if I was so unclear :confused:

I was trying to say that left to itself, nature sorts out problems without man's intervention ( which usually backfires one way or another) And that to hide behind excuse of population control just doesn't cut it.
Folks who have no problem with killing animals for sport, IMO, are not of this planet, otherwise why would they want to destroy parts of it!

Hope that is clearer for u... but if not, PM me :)

Miriam