Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-10-2010, 15:22

Default Beware of the Cats !!!!

A cautionary tale -

I love cats, I have had cats as pets for as far back as I can remember (and thats quite a long way) so I thought I knew all about cats and how to treat them - not so. Nine days ago I got to close to a domestic cat that lives across the road from me in the Port so it decided to sink its teeth and claws into my hand. Within 24 hrs my hand had swollen up like a boxing glove. I´ve had an anti-tetanus injection, 2 courses of anti-biotics, extra strong anti-inflamatorys, pain killers and steroid tablets and I still don´t have the full use of my hand. So - think twice before fussing that cute little pussy cat !!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 27-10-2010, 15:37

I am so sorry this has happened to you. There are a few cats (and dogs) near our villa and I have always stopped to stroke them. I have actually put a little dish of water for them to drink near to our gates. Another often walked along the ledge of the pool, very close to the water and I have played with it. - Not any more! I didn't realise that domestic cats could be so savage! I will keep my distance and send them on their way in future.
Do hope your injuries improve soon Deanscroft.
Old 27-10-2010, 15:44

We have a kitten - well it was last year - that lives along from our apartment. Really lovely and friendly black bundle of fur last year, and we made friends with it as it hid round the stairs then wanted to play etc etc. This year it has an eye missing, cries pitifully when when we call it although it still wants to come to us, it now wont. I hate to think what has turned it like this within a year. But I will be heeding the warning now, as we never go near other cats - just hoped this one would be different. Such a shame.

Last edited by Belladonna; 27-10-2010 at 15:48.
Old 27-10-2010, 16:41

Eleanor - thank you for your good wishes. The cat in question is the all black tom cat that lives directly across the road from us and can often be seen sunbathing on the roofs of the cars parked there.
Old 27-10-2010, 16:57

Sorry Deanscroft, very remiss of me. Your cat contact sounds awful for you, and obviously ongoing. I do hope the pills, potions and lotions kick in soon for you and deliver a vast improvement very soon.
Old 27-10-2010, 18:42

The cat that walks along the ledge of our pool was jet black too. Like you Bella, I remember this one to as a kitten and my thoughts were then to make a friend of him as he was so sweet. I think after what has happened to Deanscroft I will certainly keep my distance from any cat in the future. I remember when we had the apartment in Pinaret there used to be many wild cats (no longer the case as they have been 'seen' to I believe!) We kept our distance from those because they were wild and we expected them to be less than friendly. The noise from the fighting too was not very nice. As for mating....
A lesson here Deanscroft - thanks for the warning. Hope you are ok now.

Last edited by eleanor; 27-10-2010 at 18:45.
Old 27-10-2010, 21:36

Default ...in defence of the moggie !

I am greeted on return to PP every time by Saudi-Cat (well that is what I call her!) as soon as I get out of the car with calling and purring and lotsa cuddles.... she is curled up behind me just now, on her favourite seat while I am online. She is the Community Gardener's cat and adorable and so much part of my stay here, my feline fix ! I have never fed her, she only gets water left out for her... she is here by her choice.

But ur story Deanscroft just shows the other extreme and I hope ur on the mend very soon - unlike dogs, cats have the teeth AND 4 sets of extremely sharp claws that can inflict serious damage !

Bella, a stray adopted us in the UK and it took nearly 2 years before he was at ease of us just walking past him... he coward back waiting for a kick... or that it how it looked and this is a big strong cat, I saw him defend himself against a fox, and he was definately the winner.

In general I will trust the body language of an animal anytime, over humans... but I suppose there is always an exception.

Miriam
Old 28-10-2010, 00:46

As a cat owner and cat lover we have always known that if a cat draws blood you need to get it seen to (your wound not the cat!) even in the UK.

Cats give the impression of being clean but they harbour bacteria in their gut that is harmless and necessary for their digestion but are very harmful to us.

You must be extra vigilant with feral cats who may be suffering other diseases too worrying to contemplate!!

My FlickR Photos
Old 28-10-2010, 05:53
Under Moderation

I suppose it's good to remember what these creatures do to like catching birds mice and rats! They eat them too. So does that then make them walking vermin? The thought is revolting. I will keep to dogs I think. To encourage cats with drink and food is not a good idea. Also if they walked in to your property because they have been encouraged and then made a mess or became distruptive you would be upset to. Remember where they have been they may even bring you back a present! Revolting!
Old 28-10-2010, 07:56

This will quickly turn into an argument between cat and dog lovers, best advice is to be be wary of all animals abroad, a stray dog is just as likely to bite you as a stray cat is, just use your common sense.

On island time!!
Old 28-10-2010, 09:21
Under Moderation

I'm sure Deanscrofft has lots of common sence and also a cat lover and still got hurt.
Why would this thread turn into an argument between cat and dog lovers? Because someone has an opinion doesn't mean they have no common sence or want an argument. Everyone is aware of the dangers of animals especially abroad with the added worry of rabies.
Old 28-10-2010, 09:32

Trust me Kym, from experience that’s where it is heading, as I said also said ‘best advice is to be be wary of all animals abroad’

On island time!!
Old 28-10-2010, 12:39

Hope your hand heals soon Deanscroft, a terrible thing to happen.
I think we all are intelligent enough to know to be aware of animals abroad and at home for that matter, without any dog/cat argument.....but unfortunately as Deanscroft knows these things happen, as like humans..... our furry friends can be so unpredictable too.
Old 28-10-2010, 17:51

I think the poor dogs in PP are getting a rough deal. It's obviously the cats that are the problem. All that dog poo is really cat poo !. They have been framed good and proper.

Adios

Dave
Old 30-10-2010, 05:26
Under Moderation

Smile

Lol. You could be right!

Thankfully there isn't a rat or mouse problem in pollensa so the cats are good for something!