Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 11:44

Default Awakened from a coma

Hi all,

Just returned from 3 weeks in PP after several years of Greek Island holidays. Had a good time when weather was good but after a few days I began to feel like I'd just woken out of a coma after 10 years as everything seemed so expensive especially eating out. Typical menu items started at 15E and it was commonplace to pay 60E for a meal for 2 with just a main course and a couple of soft drinks. Also found food very average and service indifferent or even dismissive. Quite a few people we met had a similar experience price-wise, even a couple who were comparing with the canary islands. Did we just pick the wrorg places

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2010, 13:08

I think you must have, we spent an average of 60 euros for two courses for two people with a bottle of wine and beer as well and nearly all places the service was as friendly as ever, be interested to know where you eat!

On island time!!
Old 03-10-2010, 14:58

[QUOTE=geejaybee;50767]Hi all,

Also found food very average and service indifferent or even dismissive.

Did we just pick the wrorg places

QUOTE]

You have been unlucky, PP has many great restuarants which provide excellent food and wonderful service.
Old 03-10-2010, 15:10

geeejaybee where did you eat?! I agree with sws that all the places we eat at are approx 60 euros for two including wine. I don't think the prices have increased and found this year, with the exchange rate a lot better, that prices were if anything a bit cheaper. Also if you go to places offering MDD like Stay, Can Caurassa or La Llonja the price is between 29 and 32 € and includes all the hidden extras like bread and olives , plus an apertiser, 3 courses, half a bottle of wine per person, water, coffee ,chocolates...AND a liquor on the house. Don't know anywhere in the UK where you'd get such value for money, service or quality of food!

Some other good restaurants offering set menus are Tango and Can Josep (approx 16 €) and Los Zarzales at 18 € for 3 course to include a glass of wine.
Old 03-10-2010, 15:21

Sorry GJB,but you were unlucky,I could take you to many,many restaurants where food iand service are excellent at prices to suit the times we are living in!
As many of my fellow posters are bound to tell you.
Old 03-10-2010, 15:51
Super Moderator

Sorry but i don't know which Puerto Pollensa you were in but i live here and have never spent that much money for 2 main courses and soft drinks.
Are you saying that on average you paid 15€ pp for a main course and then had soft drinks which cost the same ie 15 € pp?
Would love to know where and what you ate.
Old 03-10-2010, 16:59

I came out in July with muy daughter and a bunch of her friends

I asked their parents for 20euros per night to cover the cost of their evening meal and I managed to stay in budget ................... teenage kids want lots to eat and can NEVER manage without a pud ............... from memory we ate at the following places .......... often having a 3 course MDD and usually having the equivilent of a glass of wine or Sangria each plus a soft drink

Laguna
Trio
Tango
Little Italy
Bar Coral
C'an Josep
Bar Joker
C'an Ferra
Maxims
La Piazza

I am not saying each of these places way less than 20 euros a head BUT overall we stayed within budget .................... and before anyone asks ..... they ate propper food not kids meals or chips with everything type meals ........... we had Tapas; Paella; Tumbet; Sea Bass; shoulder of lamb; fish casserole; mussels; prawns to mention but a few items
Old 03-10-2010, 18:19

Gosh gjb, when I read your post about noon today, I spent a worrying afternoon, wondering how much pocket money to bring on my forthcoming visit to PP!

However, the "troops" have come out "fighting" this afternoon, and I am feeling quite relaxed and reassured now!

Hmnnnnnnnnn cd, in charge of the purse eh?

And so gjb, maybe time to tell us where you ate?

Porto
Old 03-10-2010, 18:57
Banned

Interesting...........without knowing where you ate each night and what you had it's impossible to evaluate this fairly.

You can get a MDD from 8.50 euros upwards and many average at around 15 euros. You can pay 100 euros for a 3 course meal with a bottle of wine and couple of beers in Stay. There is plenty on offer for every budget - no-one needs to worry.

You cannot compare Mallorca to Greece. Mallorca can be an expensive place as in the main it's classy (not saying Greece isn't!). But you get what you pay for.

Hopefully you can tell us the names of your restaurants? I agree, some waiting staff are rude, tell them they are or a manager. You don't have to put up with that.

Finally, please do not dismiss PP without a proper evaluation of all the restaurants/eateries it has to offer.

Regards.

Last edited by Nick; 04-10-2010 at 12:47.
Old 03-10-2010, 22:54

Well GeeJayBee..... you've certainly stirred up a hornets nest and drawn out some of the 'big guns' to defend P.P. A quick tot-up shows they have 'averaged' over 900 posts each between the eight of them!
I fully agree that you can find economical places to eat if you have a good look round. But conversly it is very easy to spend 60E on a meal plus drinks for two people.
You really need to sort out your budget and eat accordingly.
It is good to 'blow' a few Euros now and again eating well in P.P., some great restaurants around to do this. You can always make up for this by eating cheaply... possibly eating in (if you are in an apartment or villa) for a night or two. Just pop along to 'Eroski supermercado' and the choice of ingredients is yours!
Old 03-10-2010, 23:10

901!

GeeJayBee - it is all about knowing your environment - the more you come the more you get to know where's good value and where isn't. i am sure it was the same in greece - follow the forum and you will not got wrong - I hope
Old 03-10-2010, 23:13

Awakened from a coma I don't think so no prince charming coming your way, sounds to me your having a nightmare in PP. When you wake up maybe things will look better than 60€ you can then go back to Greece try Rhodes Town and get a meal under 60€. Theres Greece and Greece Like Majorca and Majorca you pays your money and takes your pick.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescador2009 View Post
But conversly it is very easy to spend 60E on a meal plus drinks for two people.
Pescador2009, i agree it is easy to spend 60€ on a meal for 2 (ie:- bread olives, 2 mains and a bottle of wine) but GJB was saying that was for 2 main courses and 2 soft drinks and that is what we all took issue with, for 60€ it would work out at 15€ pp for the main course = 30€ and a mind blowing 30€ for 2 cokes or Fantas or Sprites.
As many of us have said to GJB please tell us where you paid this and what you ate.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:34

In fairness to the op I think he/she is talking about a main course and a couple of soft drinks each. I think it is possible to get "stung" in PP fairly easily if you arent vigilante.

Is anybody aware that IRU charges 4 euros for a litre of water? Maxims in the square about 3.60 euros for a fresh orange? Most of the restaurants can charge over 20 euros for a steak etc meaning that yes it is possible the op's bill to be correct.

PP can be as cheap or as dear as you want it to be and it seems that the op didnt do MDD but I think it can be very expensive in the right/wrong places.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:41

Hi 'super-mod', I take your points.
Yes it would be interesting to see 'What' Geejaybee ate and 'Where'.
So Come on GJB, let's here it from the horses mouth!
We're all waiting with 'baited breath'.

To be fair there is a possibility you maybe can't remember exactly.
There are so many eating places inP.P.