Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 12:30

Default Visitor Numbers Down?

I've been coming out to PP all 33 years of my life but, having bought my own place here in 2006, this is the fourth consecutive May Day weekend I have spent in PP.

I have been shocked by the lack of people out here this year. It's normally quite bustling by now as the season starts to step up a gear but there are far fewer people here now than there were over Easter a few weeks ago.

Hopefully it's just a short term blip but if the season continues like this I fear that we will being seeing more businesses fail by the end of year.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2010, 17:51

Wife & I just got back yesterday after 8 days in the port and couldn'y believe how quiet it was. We normally go in may/july/sept but have been at end of oct/ begining of nov before and have never seen it so quiet. I know alot of places are just gearing up to open for the season but I fear only the strongest will survive. We did feel that some bars and restaurants have trimmed prices in order to win what custom is out there.
Old 03-05-2010, 18:09

Interesting bedcause when we were over for Easter I was amazed at how busy it seemed ...... especially as easter wasn;t that early this year ................. it was certainly much busier than when we were over last week in April last year ( but that is comparing a holiday period with a non holiday period so probably not a valid comparison )

I guess the May bank holiday will be the acid test

Traditionally the first school holiday week when you can pretty much guaruntee good weather ( yes I know it was awful a couple of years ago but that was the exception ) and often the week of choice for families with younger children who want to avoid the heat of summer

I know we always used to come out that week and save august for Cornwall where we occasionally even got good weather !

Lets hope we get a good turn out the last week in May ................ though I would not like to see PP revert back to the overcrowded situation it faced for a couple of years about 5 or 6 years ago when you couldn't get a table in a restaurant and a visit to the Market was like tying to get into a premiership football ground 15mins before kick off

As with most things ....... what we need is moderation ......... even for shop and restaurant owners there will be an optimum number of visitors
Old 03-05-2010, 18:39
Super Moderator

I am afraid it is very quiet at the moment, Easter was good but when the people who were stranded after the volcano erupted left it just died.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:02

Not visited myself yet this year although have been watching various villa rental websites and speaking to a very good friend who runs a business in Pollensa who knows what goes on etc..

Looks like it will be busy during school holidays but does look quiet in between school holidays.

The UK recession is still very bad and feels like it is getting worse, UK elections and the volcano have all put people off spending money.

There are some crazy bargains on some of the Villa rental websites

I have been watching some of the bargains on some of the big sites and one website has been offering low villa prices with free flights (subject to conditions).

Another site that is normally expensive has some very nice villas for as little as £358 for a week that sleep 8, with small hire car thrown in for another £125 + £20 insurance excess.

I have a villa in the cart at the moment that sleeps 8, with hire car and excess all for £518 in the middle of May......

Offers are normally snapped up as soon as they are listed, now they just sit there...

It's a shame really.

Mark
Old 04-05-2010, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Another site that is normally expensive has some very nice villas for as little as £358 for a week that sleep 8, with small hire car thrown in for another £125 + £20 insurance excess.

I have a villa in the cart at the moment that sleeps 8, with hire car and excess all for £518 in the middle of May......

Mark
Blimey! I missed out there! I'm paying shed loads for mid may, but booked a couple or so months ago as I always end up leaving it too late and missing out that way!

When are the school holidays around may?

I think it's possible that it may feel quiet post volcano because people couldn't actually get out there. I guess it'll liven up shortly. Personally, I prefer things when they are not heaving, but, you still need people to make an atmosphere.
Old 04-05-2010, 13:28

We are due out on the 15th - didnt make it last year (a scorcher in May) but were out the year before when we had terrible weather for nearly 2 weeks!!! Really hoping the weather picks up as we have been looking forward to our time in PP again for sooo long!!
Old 04-05-2010, 13:47

We have just come back from a week in PP. Weh ave been i the last wek of April for the last 3 years and it definitely seemed much quieter this year.

We still had a great time and fantastic weather. Can't wait for the next time.
Old 04-05-2010, 16:25

It was definitely much quieter this April - businesses that are usually open at Easter seemed to be waiting until May. We let our villa out during the summer and generally by now August and July have been booked for some time - we are only just seeing it start to fill up. I don't think we have any bookings at all until the end of May which is very unusual.

Possibly as this volcano is still erupting and may do for some time people are a bit reluctant to book overseas flights...

I certainly don't think it's just Mallorca. We were in London over May Bank Holiday - usually heaving and we were expecting to have to queue to do a couple of very touristy things - but there were no queues at all.
Old 04-05-2010, 18:05

Mark

The week before half term is drastically discounted with the company you refer to. Do you think they got the half term dates wrong or do they normally have such a large increase in price from week commencing 21st May and usually manage to sell the villas? I agree that there are some great bargains, shame I had to use my annual leave booked for that week to cover the 5 days extra I was in Pollenca due to the volcano. I would deffinately be back otherwise!
Old 04-05-2010, 18:07

"Another site that is normally expensive has some very nice villas for as little as £358 for a week that sleep 8, with small hire car thrown in for another £125 + £20 insurance excess.

Mark"

The week before half term is drastically discounted with the company you refer to. Do you think they got the half term dates wrong or do they normally have such a large increase in price from week commencing 21st May and usually manage to sell the villas? I agree that there are some great bargains, shame I had to use my annual leave booked for that week to cover the 5 days extra I was in Pollenca due to the volcano. I would deffinately be back otherwise!!
Old 04-05-2010, 20:42

We usually come over either end of May for half term or mid May for a quick break without terrible teenagers - however this year we are not doing either due to lack of funds and bad weather mid May last year We will have to wait until September. Some people who live in the apartments we stay in remarked when chatting last September how the season was getting shorter each year
Old 04-05-2010, 20:49

I suspect that it is a bit of a hang-over from the volcano / ash cloud problem, and should probably pick up later on. However I would agree that hopefully it won't get to the overcrowded state again - at least not when I and my family are there at the end of June!

On another point, regarding the villa discounts, I wonder whether the air problems will have a knock-on effect on private bookings? I have heard a number of people, especially those with families, say that they are going with a tour operator this year if booking late as that way they 'should' be looked after if the volcano flares up again - which it appears to be doing this week.

Certainly I can see the logic. If you fear that you might get delayed or stranded, go with an organisation that has a defined responsibility to take care of you rather then hoping that the accommodation will be available and that the carrier will help.

Any of the private lets noticed this?

allanglens
Old 04-05-2010, 21:03

That is interesting but I have to say that the last couple of weeks has been very busy for us with people requesting information and booking our villa.

From speaking to many people I think they are looking at insurance policies and also prepared to take the chance that all will now be ok. I also think that as already mentioned in previous posts, the costs of renting on a private basis often works out much much cheaper than going with a tour operator. This is especially the case when there are a number of people.

Thankfully our bookings have not suffered as I believe those who like to rent privately will continue to do so. Those who are especially worried will probably holiday more locally.
Old 17-09-2010, 10:16

The recession is over...in PP at least!!!

We've been here for 3 weeks now and Pollensa town and the Port are still buzzing and there is a great atmosphere. Obviously not so many kids but lots of young couples and slightly 'more mature' ones like us It's bliss!! Drove into Pollensa at around 9pm last night and all the restaurants in the square were full. We've never had to book a table in September! We managed to secure the last table at La Font del Gall where we had a wonderful meal and amazing value at 15€ for 3 courses.

Lots of the restaurants owners are saying the same thing that they haven't known it this busy in September for ages, so hopefully a lot of places will survive the last couple of hard years.

Prices never changed in the restaurants it was always the poor exchange rate that made it seem more expensive. We got 1.22 recently so things are certainly on the up