Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 13:04

Default Facebook page on the state of Pollensa

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but there is a Facebook page (Catalan) about problems with cleanliness, etc, etc, in the town, Puerto Pollensa and CSV. Its title is Pollencins alçau-vos. Possible to recognise some local businesspeople contributing to it.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2010, 14:31

Not seen this before, thanks for mentioning it.

(removed link from here)

I can see why people are complaining.

I know where I would rather be though, and it's not Yorkshire

Mark.

Last edited by Mark; 08-09-2010 at 22:05. Reason: I removed the link.
Old 08-09-2010, 15:11

How sad that these pictures have been put on to the internet. Of course there are issues that have to be addressed and obviously put right. Many have commented that standards have dropped and money needs to be spent.
My worry is that anyone thinking of visiting is going to be put off by the comments and photographs. This will hit businesses very hard.

Yes there is room for improvement but lets keep positive here too and think of all the wonderful things on offer in PP. We need to encourage visitors whilst also ensuring that the powers that be at the council understand the importance of their carefree attitude and the effect it will have.

I do not have my head in the sand but for anyone thinking of visiting for the first time, I suggest you take a look at all the wonderful photographs taken by various people and read all the positive posts.

Last edited by eleanor; 08-09-2010 at 15:12. Reason: typo
Old 08-09-2010, 17:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanor View Post
How sad that these pictures have been put on to the internet. Of course there are issues that have to be addressed and obviously put right. Many have commented that standards have dropped and money needs to be spent.
My worry is that anyone thinking of visiting is going to be put off by the comments and photographs. This will hit businesses very hard.

Yes there is room for improvement but lets keep positive here too and think of all the wonderful things on offer in PP. We need to encourage visitors whilst also ensuring that the powers that be at the council understand the importance of their carefree attitude and the effect it will have.

I do not have my head in the sand but for anyone thinking of visiting for the first time, I suggest you take a look at all the wonderful photographs taken by various people and read all the positive posts.
Thank you Thank you
All the above should also be posted in the thread about trouble ahead. I am amazed at all the talk of how wonderful Alcudia is but no mention of the FISH and CHIPS British Pubs Kiss me quick hats ETC ETC. its easy to focus on small faults but lets not get carried away PP is still and will always be a very beautiful corner of the Island .The world is in recession, times are tough. And this is reflected in towns and Cities all over the world . And I promise you there are far worse places to spend some quality time. Its ok to point out the faults but please also point out the beauty and give people who don’t know a balanced view as suggested above take a look at the pictures posted by people who want to share their joy and let that be your judge not the pictures of people with a political agenda
Old 08-09-2010, 20:08

Well said, fil.

PP76
Old 08-09-2010, 20:14

i second that
Old 08-09-2010, 20:18

And third , Fil !!!!!

Hands up who'd like to live here ???

BonysLad
Old 08-09-2010, 20:20

me me me............... pick me
Old 08-09-2010, 20:37

and me!!!!

Bernadette
Old 08-09-2010, 20:39

...and me..

On island time!!
Old 08-09-2010, 20:47

Well, I feel very lucky to have the option of living in PP full time but have chosen to stay in UK for family reasons. We try to visit our second home as often as we can. I have visited many places throughout the World and have been involved with Mallorca for over 30 years through business and personal. I can't begin to count the number of times we have arrived at Palma airport but one thing is for sure and that is the feeling of being home each time we arrive. For days before travelling I feel excited - as do many from posts read on here. There is a certain smell on coming out of Palma airport that just lifts the spirits.
We always drive along the coast road to get to our villa as to have the first picture of the sea and mountains along the Bay is just paradise. These are the photographs which should be seen on the internet and not a few bins over flowing with rubbish!
OK - I do jump to the defence of PP. I do find myself getting a little upset to read negative posts. As I said before, my head is not in the sand - I do appreciate that there is work to do and standards could be improved in certain areas but lets support what is right. The negative is stronger than the positive - the negative is always what is remembered and that is so dangerous for business and PP generally.
Wouldn't it be great for us to really think about this and its impact. I for one will endeavour to when writing something negative always find something positive to say too. A fair judgement will equal a fair conclusion.

Last edited by eleanor; 08-09-2010 at 20:53. Reason: typo
Old 08-09-2010, 23:11

PP is beautiful - but it has to be recognised that there are areas that are neglected and more money needs to be spent. The residents and business owners have every right to expect things to be done, fixed, cleaned up.

There are areas of the port behind the front line that have been neglected for not just months or years but decades. There are unfinished pavements that have been the same since I have been coming here, again decades!

Don't be put off - because it will not spoil your visit but for these relatively small things to be addressed would make a world of difference to those who see a little further back than the front.

We just need the local authority to know that things need to be done and locals are not happy
Old 08-09-2010, 23:48

While some posters do not like to see these pictures on the net, a Facebook campaign is another way to put pressure on the council to improve things. (Don't know why you removed link Mark?)

Personally I think these pictures are a storm in a teacup and won't put anyone off. A few bits of cracked paving, some unemptied bins, dog poo (I am saying nothing Sparky !!!), etc. You could take pictures like these in pretty much every upmarket area in the world. I would be more concerned if there were pictures of groups of drunken "undesirables" exiting a nightclub, being rounded up by the boys in blue, pictures of discarded syringes etc. That is more likely to put me off.

Much of the problem is with people who think it is ok to leave unwanted furniture for the council to uplift, or unload the unwanted contents of their garage just outside town, or cant be bothered putting rubbish in a bin.

Adios

Dave
Old 09-09-2010, 00:12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical Dave View Post
While some posters do not like to see these pictures on the net, a Facebook campaign is another way to put pressure on the council to improve things. (Don't know why you removed link Mark?)

Personally I think these pictures are a storm in a teacup and won't put anyone off. A few bits of cracked paving, some unemptied bins, dog poo (I am saying nothing Sparky !!!), etc. You could take pictures like these in pretty much every upmarket area in the world. I would be more concerned if there were pictures of groups of drunken "undesirables" exiting a nightclub, being rounded up by the boys in blue, pictures of discarded syringes etc. That is more likely to put me off.

Much of the problem is with people who think it is ok to leave unwanted furniture for the council to uplift, or unload the unwanted contents of their garage just outside town, or cant be bothered putting rubbish in a bin.

Adios

Dave
I agree with you Dave but the pics and more importantly the comments on Facebook are from locals so are written in Mallorquin, i don't think first time or even frequent visitors will have a clue what is being said.
Yes things are not perfect here but as i have said before please tell me where the perfect place is and i will pay it a visit. As it stands now i feel i am living in a place that is the closest to heaven i will get, still living the dream!!.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical Dave View Post
While some posters do not like to see these pictures on the net, a Facebook campaign is another way to put pressure on the council to improve things.
Yes, I think it's just a continuation of their protest march they had earlier this year an 'on-line protest' and they have to be commended for it and I hope they are naming and shaming the folk in high places until something is done!
Must remember PP is a working town not just a holiday resort and like any other it will have it's problems. Although they must be a right nuisance to locals and businesses, as I have said before, as a holidaymaker, I think the beauty and everything else Puerto Pollensa has to offer far outweighs any of the 'problems'. So any potential visitor DON't be put off!!

As fil6699 says, keep posting your beautiful photos.....Seacaptain, where are you!!