Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 14:41
Super Moderator

Oops!! sorry Gina must have had a senior moment . Yes i get irritated by some ex-pats who, like you say have lived here for years and flatly refuse to even attempt to speak the lingo. It is such a pity because they actually have missed out on a chance to have had an even better life here, i have had some hilarious moments when chatting with the locals and me saying the wrong word, of course it also works the other way when they are trying to improve their English .
Old 09-09-2010, 17:23

No worries Sparky! I have more senior moments than normal ones if the truth be known Re getting the words wrong - be very careful with the Spanish word for "drawers" - it can be very embarrassing if you don't get it right

See you next week!
Old 10-09-2010, 00:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRIGHTSTUFF View Post
me me me............... pick me
Wrightstuff,

By the look of your Avatar , you're chosen !!!!

LOL

BonysLad
Old 11-09-2010, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanadakid View Post
Alcudia is lovely, and I am not aware of any fish and chip bars there. We have to travel to PP to the Cod Father for that. There are one or two British Pubs but no more than in PP. Give credit where it is due, Alcudia is investing for the future.
hmmmmm not exactly apples with apples if we are talking the old town then yes I would agree but then we would have to talk about Pollenca old town and not the port take a look around most of Alcudia its a big place I think you will see its more like Blackpool promenade in places
Old 11-09-2010, 23:14

before any body from Blackpool decides to bash me over the head it was not meant in a derogatory way I was just pointing out it has a huge British feel lots of amusement arcades and pubs etc
Old 12-09-2010, 20:43

Thanks Bonyslad..... This Puerto pollensa loving mum of 5 will take that as a compliment.
Old 15-09-2010, 16:51

you can take pictures of that sort of thing at any place in the world, PP is beautiful and I can't think of any place I would rather be right now.
Old 19-09-2010, 12:03
Banned

The bottom line I believe is that PP is a fantastic place. That's why I visit so often.

As I've mentioned several times before, it needs tidying up. Litter, graffitti, broken street lamps on the front, dog mess and dodgy pavements on the back streets.
But these are things that are easily and cheaply remedied for goodness sake.

I can see why the locals are unhappy. They must pay a high price to live in PP?

However, there were loads of orange bin bags aong the road from PP to Pollensa last week indicating the council are tidying up.

Just a bit more effort and little money and it will be totally perfect!
Old 19-09-2010, 16:31

Hi Folks, There's no bigger critic of pp than me but the item referred to is a complete waste of time. It's as much use as taking lots of pictures of magnificent scenery and posting them all together trying to convince people the whole place is like the photo's. At the end of the day it all comes down to balance, and let me tell you positives outweigh the negatives by a country mile. If you can't see that you must be walking around with your eyes closed.
Old 23-09-2010, 09:45

Having just come back and obviously more aware of seeing problems anyway due to the high publicity, I think that gentle pressure - with some hard forthright pressure thrown in - is definately the way to go with the council.

Nothing was glaringly awful, and certainly no worse than many many places elsewhere in the world. But my main gripe would be the graffiti which seems to have become prevalent now, and mainly with the same "tag", which should make it easier to trace I would have throught.
A lot of effort has been made to by those buildings who are affected to keep it at bay, but as we all know, its a challenge to the yobs that do it.
Some buildings however are not looked after by anyone and it is those that become a real eyesore.
Perhaps we should go round with our own "cover up" Spray paint!

Other than that - dog poo aside, as I just give up with that problem - I am pleased with how the council are dealing with bins etc. Yes sometimes they are overfull, but thats usually change over days, or locals putting all their tree cuttings in them and really doesnt last for long - not that I have seen in Llenaire or La Font anyway!
I now cant wait to get back there in November and scouring for flights even before this lot of washing is ironed!
Old 23-09-2010, 13:00

I agree with you Bella. The graffiti just brings a 'dirty' feel to a place. The problem as you said. is stopping it. I'm sure as soon as it is cleared off then then it's back again. Not only does it become a challenge but also the person receives 'street cred' from his/her peer group. It is a shame that the council are not more pro-active in trying to find the culprits. To then ensure that as a punishment they clean up the town in bright coloured jackets ( Boy George New York style) may help solve the problem. Ok to get them to do this once may actually add to their 'street cred' but to get them to do it every night for a month would soon change attitudes!
As for the dog poo - well as we have said before - this is down to the owners and the general complacent attitude of the locals to accept this. I don't think the poo situation will change until the attitude of it being unacceptable changes.
I also agree that as we have spoken so often on this forum of the state of PP we are much more likely to notice things. Glad that you had a good time Bella. We would love to be out in November too.
Old 23-09-2010, 14:47

Maybe we should abolish the PP meet ups and form a graffiti removal squad instead

A group of yobs can make a place rowdy, but unfortunately it only takes one yob with a basic education to cover a place with graffiti Trace SLV and we have the culprit?

Last edited by Smiddy; 23-09-2010 at 14:54.
Old 23-09-2010, 14:55

Absolutely Smiddy! It cant be that hard to find him - his mum must recognise his initials surely!
Old 23-09-2010, 15:58
Super Moderator

Some of his "artwork " outside the old school was painted over on Monday and guess what............it was back by Tuesday. Now i had thought it was bored kids but they are back at school now and this has to be done in the very early hours of the morning, so i am wondering if it is maybe an adult. Perhaps PP needs to invest in CCTV .
Old 23-09-2010, 16:54

It has become a challenge then - someone laughing at the authorities.