Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 10:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil6699 View Post
Thank you Thank you
All the above should also be posted in the thread about trouble ahead. I am amazed at all the talk of how wonderful Alcudia is but no mention of the FISH and CHIPS British Pubs Kiss me quick hats ETC ETC. its easy to focus on small faults but lets not get carried away PP is still and will always be a very beautiful corner of the Island .The world is in recession, times are tough. And this is reflected in towns and Cities all over the world . And I promise you there are far worse places to spend some quality time. Its ok to point out the faults but please also point out the beauty and give people who don’t know a balanced view as suggested above take a look at the pictures posted by people who want to share their joy and let that be your judge not the pictures of people with a political agenda
Alcudia is lovely, and I am not aware of any fish and chip bars there. We have to travel to PP to the Cod Father for that. There are one or two British Pubs but no more than in PP. Give credit where it is due, Alcudia is investing for the future.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2010, 10:39

Before world war 3 breaks out do you mean old Alcudia town alcanakid? Anyone who has driven out along the coast road will have seen rows of British pubs lining the main sprawl, burger bars etc, I think thats what people mean

On island time!!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:50

I am very surprised at the comments in relation to this website. It is a community initiative to post photographs of problems in the town and suggestions for improvement. What an excellent idea!

I am astounded by the comment ".... are from locals so are written in Mallorquin, i don't think first time or even frequent visitors will have a clue what is being said." Lets remember - even those of us who own property over here - that we are very fortunate guests in this wonderful place. Why not learn the languages and integrate more?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:55

Celestino can I suggest you re read Sparky and Dave's posts, I think you have misunderstood them

On island time!!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestino View Post
. Why not learn the languages and integrate more?
Good point Celestino.....for all the folk, expats and holidaymakers who continually complain about the "problems" it's their chance to be heard!! More chance of something been done than complaining on the Forum!! Could always post some 'good' pics to balance things as fil6699 suggests.

SWS....Celestino did not quote from Dave's post!!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:16

Favies! I didn't say he had quoted Dave, I clearly suggested he re read them both to understand the point they were making as he clearly misunderstood it

On island time!!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:22

With respect I haven't misunderstood at all. I totally agree with Chemical Dave's sentiments. My comments still stand.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:25

Ok I'll leave Sparky to reply, good luck

On island time!!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:35

LOl @ sws "Good Luck" ? Sparky doesn't bite....remember!

Last edited by favie; 09-09-2010 at 11:54.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestino View Post
I am very surprised at the comments in relation to this website. It is a community initiative to post photographs of problems in the town and suggestions for improvement. What an excellent idea!

I am astounded by the comment ".... are from locals so are written in Mallorquin, i don't think first time or even frequent visitors will have a clue what is being said." Lets remember - even those of us who own property over here - that we are very fortunate guests in this wonderful place. Why not learn the languages and integrate more?
I totally agree with you Celestine re learning the language - particularly those who have chosen to live permanently or own property there. However, I don't think Sparky was referring to this element but rather to new visitors to the forum not understanding the language (after all most are just tourists who can hardly be expected to speak the language of every country they visit).
May I suggest though that IF they did wish to understand what is written there they can just turn on the Google translate option and read it in English!!
The translation may not be exact but enough for any layman to understand.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:31
Super Moderator

Thank you Favie that is exactly what i meant.
Celestino i agree with you completely re learning the language, i think it is only right and proper when you move to another country to at least learn the basics and i do try to speak as much Spanish and Mallorquin as i can. I learn a bit more each day and that is because i have integrated with the locals, most of my friends here are Spanish/Mallorcan.
Just for the record although i did not agree with all of points being made, i was there for part of the protest march.
Old 09-09-2010, 13:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
Before world war 3 breaks out do you mean old Alcudia town alcanakid? Anyone who has driven out along the coast road will have seen rows of British pubs lining the main sprawl, burger bars etc, I think thats what people mean
There are no fish and chip bars in either Alcudia old town or Port D'Alcudia. The only hamburger place to my knowledge is Texmex in the Port, where there are also 3 British pubs. I haven't seen even one in the old town. These two places are the ones that seem to be thriving, and there are some outstanding restaurants there.

Along the main road to Ca'n Picafort there are plenty of bars and restaurants but not many British bars or chip shops.Plenty of Chinese restaurants though, similar to PP. Jardin is along that road, and that in my humble opinion is the best restaurant on the island.
Old 09-09-2010, 13:29

Where does Alcudia finish and Ca'n Picafort start, I have always wondered they tend to merge into one, isn't there a Burger King or a MacDonald's there on the coast road?

On island time!!
Old 09-09-2010, 13:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gina39uk View Post
I totally agree with you Celestine re learning the language - particularly those who have chosen to live permanently or own property there. However, I don't think Sparky was referring to this element but rather to new visitors to the forum not understanding the language (after all most are just tourists who can hardly be expected to speak the language of every country they visit). May I suggest though that IF they did wish to understand what is written there they can just turn on the Google translate option and read it in English!!
The translation may not be exact but enough for any layman to understand.
Hi Sparky - (quote= thank you Flavi that's exactly what I meant=unquote) Actually I think that message was meant for me? But hey - what's in a name? We're all singing from the same songsheet in this particular case but you have to admit that there are still a lot of expats living in PP who still can't speak a word of Spanish but expect the locals to speak English! Some of them have lived there for years and won't even try (usually using age as an excuse) but we all know that's not the real reason.
I think it is a mark of respect for our hosts to at least try to speak a few words. It's amazing the positive results it gets when you are seen to try!

Last edited by gina39uk; 09-09-2010 at 13:55. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 09-09-2010, 13:55

While not wishing to inflame the situation,I think you will find at least 2 fish and chip shops,maybe name not so obvious but one is run by the son of the owner of the Codfather. As for the rest of the posts,I agree with Sparky,lots of us that live here do try to learn the language and improve with time. Nowhere is perfect but for me it is the place I would rather be.