Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-08-2010, 07:16

Default My Thoughts

We have been going to PP for about 8 years now and have just got back after staying for 8 days in CalaD'or and then 8 days in PP.

We thought that Cala D'or was cleaner in most ways than PP the food in PP was cheaper than Cla D'or but overall PP we feel has declined in lots of ways, Empty buildings, Dog poo, Graffiti (not sure if thats how spell it) dumped rubbish, skips dropped anywhere and generally run down away from the main front.

I know some of this will be a sign of the times but we will not be back for a long time as we have now done PP and its time to move on as there are lots of other places to visit.

Gordon
Sponsored Links
Old 17-08-2010, 09:49

Is there any news on positive developments arising from the protest march about the decline of local authority spending and maintenance in the Port which took place back in June?

At the time I seem to recall a lot of suggestions that people would continue marching and protesting until the council stood up, took note and did something to improve the situation.
Old 24-08-2010, 18:30
Banned

Interesting post.

We bought a property in PP last summer after toying between PP and Cala D'or.
I agree that Cala D'or is much cleaner with less graffiti and dog mess. There appears to have been a vast increase in graffiti in PP recently and it is something I cannot stand personally.

I've noticed the graffiti "tag" "SLV Crew" about quite a bit. And one that says "SLV is back". Back from where? Is he some sort of criminal who's been locked up does anyone know?

Anyway, getting back on subject we decided to buy in PP because overall we believe it's a nicer place and an all year round one at that. The central part of Cala D'or is also rather naff I think with people trying to get you into their bars/restaurants etc. which I personally hate.

As James says, what's happening with the council enhancing PP's appearance?

I returned from a weeks stay on Monday and to put things right, i.e. clearing litter, dog mess and graffiti and repairing the odd promenade light etc. would be so cheap and quick but the benefits instantaneous.

Just my thoughts....
Old 24-08-2010, 20:02

pp everytime for me cala d'or well overrated not sure why you let graffiti get to you you been to london lately? big up for pp!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24-08-2010, 20:27
Super Moderator

Nickpaulnoah, the graffiti on the the church had been painted over but i noticed it is back again. I don't know who is doing it but suspect it's bored teenagers, the problem is catching them at it .
As for the dog mess we have this debate every year and as i have said before, it's down to lazy owners. It does get cleaned up and the next day there is more
Old 25-08-2010, 06:44

There are pros and cons for both maybe Cala'Dor felt different as we had not been there for 15 years overall everything goes in circles and im sure when we return in x years time things will have changed again for the better.

Gordon
Old 25-08-2010, 09:33

Smile

I can sympathise with your views Ranger, and also agree that everything does go in circles. I think it revolves around how much money is spent in an area, and this tends to be given to areas who produce more tourist money for the council! Definately a catch 22 situation.
However, please dont give up on PP, try another season. Having been going for over 20 years, we still find places to visit that are better in different seasons and easier to get to. PP is our base now, rather than the final destination.

And I would rather be over there - anywhere - today as I am pretty maudling about last years anniversary!
This time last year we would have been celebrating our 30th at Reads, and driving out in an open top sports car! Ok, so hubby had a bit of a misadventure, but his teeth look SO much better this year! Just re reading my trip report all over again has me desperate to get back. Not long now, but will be exploring PP rather than traveling out this year. Where DID that year go?

Last edited by Belladonna; 25-08-2010 at 14:31.
Old 25-08-2010, 12:37

How you feel about the place is probably dictated by the sort of holiday you have.

We rent villas in the Siller area and the countryside never changes. We don't spend much time on the beach, so visits to town tend to be to restaurants in the evening, so we probably don't notice problems as much as we would if we stayed in the town itself.

That said, I visited my son in London last weekend and on Friday went to Brighton for the first time. If you want to see decadence, graffiti and deadlegs there's no finer place. As a Lancastrian it even made Blackpool look sophisticated!

PP here I come!

[B]Duncan/B]

PS - with apologies to anyone from Brighton!!!
Old 27-08-2010, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers1 View Post
We have been going to PP for about 8 years now and have just got back after staying for 8 days in CalaD'or and then 8 days in PP.

We thought that Cala D'or was cleaner in most ways than PP the food in PP was cheaper than Cla D'or but overall PP we feel has declined in lots of ways, Empty buildings, Dog poo, Graffiti (not sure if thats how spell it) dumped rubbish, skips dropped anywhere and generally run down away from the main front.

I know some of this will be a sign of the times but we will not be back for a long time as we have now done PP and its time to move on as there are lots of other places to visit.

Gordon
Toataly agree with you. PP has had it's day. Try anwhere else in the Med and experience value for money.

What a shame.

jimbo
Old 27-08-2010, 22:37

Oh Jimbo - having a bad day?!
Old 27-08-2010, 23:38
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo the Jambo View Post
Toataly agree with you. PP has had it's day. Try anwhere else in the Med and experience value for money.

What a shame.

jimbo
Jimbo i am sorry to hear that PP has had it's day for you, thankfully many new people are just discovering it and all the great things it has to offer.
However i do wish you well wherever your wanderlust takes you in the future and look forward to reading of your travels in the Tapas Bar .
Take care out there .
Old 28-08-2010, 01:24

Default Give PP a chance

Give PP a chance

Yes there has been an increase in the amount of "street art" around
the town but it`s not unique to PP. I have witnessed it become more
prevalent in several of the main Spanish resorts over the last few years.
It is an increaseingly widespread problem Worldwide. It is a culture we
can do without but does not seem to attract much media attention.
Don`t give up on PP just yet.

The Wizzard
Old 28-08-2010, 13:34

I think you may have hit upon another reason there wizzard. PP has turned gradually from being a "village" to becoming a "town" with all the problems it brings with it, as well as all the benefits. Unfortunately you cant have one without the other, you just have to work out how to keep the balance!
Old 28-08-2010, 15:39

I sometimes wonder if we all go to the same PP, we returned last Sunday from another wonderful two weeks, our 4th visit this year and although like any town some additional work could be done I still think it is a wonderful place and that the vast majority of visitors love it.
For those who have found somewhere else they think is better, that's great I hope you enjoy your new resort as much as we enjoy PP.
For those who have not visited PP before, do come, I am sure you will love it.
We are now looking forward to our next visit in October.

PP76
Old 28-08-2010, 15:52

We have been coming to PP for over 20 years. Friends always ask why we keep coming back, why don't we try somewhere new. The simple answer is that it is the only place I know where I feel like I am coming home. After a stressful year with work, finances, family and the weather, coming to PP is the most relaxing stress free place I know. I know the area, I know the beaches, I know the restaurants and I know the people. I can relax for a couple of weeks. I don't have to think about where to eat or where to go or what to do.

These are my thoughts..................