Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-08-2010, 18:44

Default Is It a PP thing?

I have been reading the restaurant posts for some time now and are amazed at how some posters are on first name terms with the restaurant owner, chef, all the waiting staff even the cat!.

What I want to know is it a PP thing?

• Are the staff in PP so attentive and much friendlier than here in the UK that they become your best buddy.?
• Is the customer service excellent or are they overstaffed and can spend all night chatting?
• Is it the same in Pollensa town? ( From the posts doesn’t seem that way)
• Are they after a large gratuity?
• Are you an inquisitive bunch, after their life story?
• Do you read the name tags.?
• Do you interview them with promises of a mention on the world famous PP forum?
• Are you name dropping (god forbid!)
• Am I anti social?

I have to say while I pass the time of day with them, I could not tell you the first names of staff in any places I go to in the UK for a meal, and I eat out regularly.

Adios

Dave
Sponsored Links
Old 23-08-2010, 19:47

Oh I am SO glad someone else has admittted to it! The only name I know is David from Llenaire - I was bold enough to ask his name many years ago!
Oh, and Colin from Nostalgia - and thats after 20 years of visiting PP! We seem to chat so much between ourselves that we dont get to know the owners names except through other introductions.
I do think its a lovely thing in a lot of ways, and I am always impressed with the owner of Los Serenas in Port Alcudia who always recognises us even if we dont go there for years. But I dont know his name!!
Old 23-08-2010, 21:15

That's an interesting post, Dave.

Some people go to restaurants, sit back, and expect to be served. Others take a bit more interest in the owners and serving staff.

A difficult balance between being a nice customer who takes a genuine interest, and a patronising pain in the "you know what".

I would say that I know the names of many owners/servers in PP and, indeed, in my home city of Lancaster, who are also on first name terms with me.

I guess it all depends upon how you treat people. No surprise then to say that service is always that bit better from restaurants where there is an established rapport.

I've eaten in a number of "top drawer" London restaurants, where the service and food are seriously good (and the price reflects it too!) but the experience is curiously sterile when compared to visiting restaurants wher you are known, recognised and on good terms.

PP restaurants do seem specially good ast customer recognition......they have this formular just right - 'cos I keep going back!

Duncan
Old 23-08-2010, 22:32

I agree with Duncan ...we regularly visit several restuarants in the Port and over the years have got to know many of the owners/staff (and their families in some cases)
The same applies at home

Eating Out
Old 23-08-2010, 23:34
Founder

How about being on first name terms with your bank manager! - now that wouldn't happen in the UK - would it? (& please no call centre jokes...)
Old 24-08-2010, 00:06
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemical Dave View Post
I have been reading the restaurant posts for some time now and are amazed at how some posters are on first name terms with the restaurant owner, chef, all the waiting staff even the cat!.

What I want to know is it a PP thing?

• Are the staff in PP so attentive and much friendlier than here in the UK that they become your best buddy.?
• Is the customer service excellent or are they overstaffed and can spend all night chatting?
• Is it the same in Pollensa town? ( From the posts doesn’t seem that way)
• Are they after a large gratuity?
• Are you an inquisitive bunch, after their life story?
• Do you read the name tags.?
• Do you interview them with promises of a mention on the world famous PP forum?
• Are you name dropping (god forbid!)
• Am I anti social?

I have to say while I pass the time of day with them, I could not tell you the first names of staff in any places I go to in the UK for a meal, and I eat out regularly.

Adios

Dave
Oh Dave i have to say i found your post to be very cynical, does there have to be an ulterior motive for being friendly with the hard working people who give us good service ?.They have names, what is so wrong about using them ?.
For me it is not a PP thing, it was the same in the UK ...i guess i just like to be sociable.
Old 24-08-2010, 06:37

Pollensa

If you go into any Barclays branch in the UK you would be able to find out the Managers name and speak to them and use the their 1st name when speaking to them.

Gordon
Old 24-08-2010, 09:23

Ah, but would they come up to you in a restaurant to say hello when you only ever see them once in every 2 years! Now THATS good!
I agree that its a really friendly attitude to be on first name terms with everyone you meet, but I think it may be a London trait that it takes a little longer - if at all - as Londoners tend to bump into a multitude of people in their day to day lives, and staff in particular have very fast turnovers. It's lovely when staff make the effort to introduce themselves and really want you to remember them and for them to remember you.
But not like a call centre! I remember being in America where the waiter as usualy came up to the table and said something like "HI, my name is Jason and I will be your server for tonight" To which I replied "Hi Jason, my name is Bella, and this is...." and proceeded to list all 8 of our table! Very childish, but it made us laugh - but not Jason strangely enough!
We do make a point of recognising the waiters or owners when we visit the restaurants, and ask after the family, hows business etc etc. but it seems a little pushy to just come out and ask their names somehow.
Old 24-08-2010, 11:37

Bella I don't think many people on a first visit to a restaurant would be asking everyones names, but over time you get to know people and it seems natural (to me anyway) to use their name. It's possibly a bit different in the UK when you're rushing around and not in holiday mode. Having said that there is one shop I go to in MK where they always call me by my first name and me them.I obviously spend far to much money in that particular establishment!!!

We were very impressed in La Font de Gall last year when we returned after a bad experience a couple of years previously. Andrew the owner who hadn't been there the night of the 'not so great meal' came straight over to us after we'd been seated and said 'Good evening Mr and Mrs ....... good to see you again I heard you weren't happy the last time you visited' It made us feel special and it was great customer service. We had a lovely meal as well!

I'm sure it works both ways and that all the hard workers in PP, that you get to know over the years, appreciate it when you greet them by name and show an interest in their lives.
Old 24-08-2010, 11:45

Obvioiusly having a good memory helps too - my memory seems to be on goldfish mode, so good on those who can store many things and bring them to light when needed, a great social attribute!
Old 24-08-2010, 11:50
Super Moderator

Debz you are absolutely right re the first visit which of course is always more formal, i just think it's nice be more relaxed when you have been somewhere a few times. Your experience in La Font de Gall really sums it up doesn't it, for them to remember after 2 years that things were not good for you is amazing.
Old 24-08-2010, 12:13
Founder

Thinking about it there are a few restaurants in PP where we do know the names of & are recognised by the owners (& even get kissed by some - well I do!). In the UK we have one local restaurant that is very similar (& I get kissed by the manager there too!) But we actually eat out a lot more in PP than we do in the UK so that could be a good reason why...
Old 24-08-2010, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Obvioiusly having a good memory helps too - my memory seems to be on goldfish mode, so good on those who can store many things and bring them to light when needed, a great social attribute!
They probably note your name on your first visit (credit card or whatever) Take your photo, make up a client card, write down any useful info to use next time you visit and store it on their computer.

Biggest sales trick ever - make the customer feel special! lol
Old 24-08-2010, 12:38

Thats very true Pollensa, we were talking to the owners in La Font this year, they opened in 2002 and we worked out we have been every year at least twice which makes 16 times we have been there, I dont think we go out to the same restaurant here that often in the same space of time. BTW definitely still up for sale, although they are not desperate to sell up and move back, so hopefully still be there next year.

On island time!!
Old 24-08-2010, 12:41

Think its more of a PP thing, think we know names in of favorites because of a once very cute blonde daughter (grown up a bit now!). I don't know how they can remember everyone, we were in Golden Lion this year when the old owner of the Sparrow Bar came up to see how we all were, when he himself was on night out. Lots of genuine people in the port