Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   A Brief Encounter with Agatha Christie..... (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/6426-brief-encounter-agatha-christie.html)

Disorderly 14-08-2010 16:27

A Brief Encounter with Agatha Christie.....

So there we are, six Disorderlies, on the last evening of our holiday sitting at a front table at Brisa Marina, where we will always be found on our last night, sipping G&Ts etc when a nice lady approaches me.

"Excuse me" she says "Are you Duncan who posts on the PP Discussion Forum?"

"Um, yes" I reply. "However did you work that one out?"

It turns out that the super sleuth is called Hazel and is with her husband Andrew and their daughter. They have been coming to PP for donkey's years and regularly read the Discussion Group. From the most limited of clues (size and age of group, location, timing etc) she has worked out that I must be me. I certainly can confirm that I am indeed me!

Hazel then confounds me completely by looking at our empty wine glasses and observes "I bet you will be ordering Marques de Riscal?" Well knock me over with a feather! I think I have mentioned in these august pages that it's my favourite wine, but I never imagined that anyone would remember anything I wrote, nor be able to work out who I am from the barest of clues!

Hazel, I hope very much that you will read this because it was a great pleasure to meet you all, and I was both flabbergasted and flattered that you took the trouble to say "hello". After you left I was subjected to some playful ribbing from the younger mebers of the group! Also, this encounter caused something of a stir, as other diners were clearly convinced that I must be someone famous, but couldn't work out who! Famously infamous more like!

Hazel told me that she has only recently started making posts herself, so I do hope that you may identify yourself. As I say, it was delightful to meet you all.

Has anyone else fallen across a fellow poster, by accident or design?

You couldn't make it up, could you?! :)

Duncan

Andreas and Noisette 14-08-2010 18:26

Dear Duncan

So sorry that I could not have spent more time chatting, but like you we always take our last meal at Brisa Marina and we were literally out of the restaurant and into the taxi to the airport.

We have valued your holiday reports in the past and I noted from your preholiday post that you were going to be in PP same time as us. It did occur to me therefore that our paths could well cross during the two weeks! However, no sighting for the duration of the holiday of any one who fitted the bill.

Then, as we are into our main course at Brisa Marina on our last night, Francisco Snr starts to prepare the table next to us for six, marks it as reserved and (then the big clue) lays out his best glass ware on the table!

Francisco rarely puts glasses on the vacant tables. This table is for some one who enjoys his wine and the glasses are obviously reserved for something of great quality!, Marques de Riscal perhaps?

I then notice we are approaching 8.00pm and recall “mesa para seis a las ocho” and chances are, like us, you will save Brisa Marine for your last night too.

As the time approaches 8.00pm I tentatively await the arrival of the party to the table and outline my theory to the rest of my family! We too are a party of six, but by now , the three you did not meet are almost under the table with embarrassment when I suggest that I might say “hello!”

When the G&T’s arrive, it’s a proven case!

I too have had to endure some ribbing since,( particularly from my Son who has almost disowned me) to the extent that I was worried if I had spoiled your evening . I have enjoyed reading your post today and am relieved to learn that you seem to have taken it in the spirit intended.

Kind regards Agatha (aka Hazel)

Portofan 14-08-2010 18:47

Hello to you Duncan and to you Hazel!

I'd read Duncan's post about half an hour ago and very much enjoyed it and wondered whether "Agatha" might reply.

And so it came about!

Such are the little experiences that make a holiday and how we all here enjoy reading of them!

Thank you both.

Porto:)

JH02JLH 14-08-2010 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disorderly (Post 48569)
So there we are, six Disorderlies, on the last evening of our holiday sitting at a front table at Brisa Marina, where we will always be found on our last night, sipping G&Ts etc when a nice lady approaches me.

"Excuse me" she says "Are you Duncan who posts on the PP Discussion Forum?"

"Um, yes" I reply. "However did you work that one out?"

It turns out that the super sleuth is called Hazel and is with her husband Andrew and their daughter. They have been coming to PP for donkey's years and regularly read the Discussion Group. From the most limited of clues (size and age of group, location, timing etc) she has worked out that I must be me. I certainly can confirm that I am indeed me!

Hazel then confounds me completely by looking at our empty wine glasses and observes "I bet you will be ordering Marques de Riscal?" Well knock me over with a feather! I think I have mentioned in these august pages that it's my favourite wine, but I never imagined that anyone would remember anything I wrote, nor be able to work out who I am from the barest of clues!

Hazel, I hope very much that you will read this because it was a great pleasure to meet you all, and I was both flabbergasted and flattered that you took the trouble to say "hello". After you left I was subjected to some playful ribbing from the younger mebers of the group! Also, this encounter caused something of a stir, as other diners were clearly convinced that I must be someone famous, but couldn't work out who! Famously infamous more like!

Hazel told me that she has only recently started making posts herself, so I do hope that you may identify yourself. As I say, it was delightful to meet you all.

You couldn't make it up, could you?! :)

Duncan

About 5 years ago, I was sitting in the square (Bar Cultural) with my family and Robjay. It was our first night and we'd arranged to meet Rob, Pollensa and her family for a meal at Tango's.

We were chatting away and a strange man came up to us and asked if we were Rob and Jane...the man turned out to be Timberman who had recognised our faces from our forum photos! We had a lovely chat and it became a bit of a tradition to meet up with Timberman and his wife thereafter!:)

eleanor 14-08-2010 18:56

What fantastic posts from both of you. Hazel - Agatha - how very clever of you to make the connection let alone remember all which you did.
I really enjoyed reading both of your posts - how lovely that Hazel had the courage to approach you Duncan - i'm not sure I would have had the nerve incase I was wrong so well done!
What a lovely end to both of your holidays!

its cd 15-08-2010 01:33

mine and Robjays paths crossed in Eroski but someone failed to asks me if I was me didn't you Rob ) and I didnlt even notice him .................... the moment was lost

never mind ,,.... one day we will meet again

Sparky 15-08-2010 09:27

It's great when you meet the people behind the names isn't it, i consider myself to be very lucky because since i moved here i have met some really charming people. I love it when people come up and introduce themselves to me so thank you to those that have. :D

sunny 15-08-2010 12:41

It was great to meet Robbo in the Panorama this year, just chatting in the bar talking and mentioned the site. Wish we were sitting there now its freezing in Newcastle and view not so good!

robbo 15-08-2010 19:02

Its not PP

Hi Sunny it too was great to meet you at the Panorama chilling out at my favourite table with a beer in my hand. The weather here in Lancaster has been sunny and hot but i can't get PP out of my head but why would i want to? A year will soon pass it's just a pity my dates mean we won't meet up next year but no doubt our paths will cross again as we can't stay away from beautiful, chill out PP.

Disorderly 15-08-2010 22:30

What a wonderful reply, Agatha (Hazel)!

I'll look forward to your future posts.

Very best wishes.

Duncan

BonysLad 16-08-2010 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disorderly (Post 48569)

Duncan

I fell across that Snowy once when he was lying on the path outside Bonys

BonysLad :D:D

snowy2007 16-08-2010 22:56

By the way what dates the wine festival in 2011

Gommar Goffer 17-08-2010 00:06

Forget it snowy - it's a long distant memory!

Belladonna 17-08-2010 09:54

I take it you have recovered from the last one now then!;)

BonysLad 18-08-2010 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowy2007 (Post 48675)
By the way what dates the wine festival in 2011

Snowy,

Usually the third weekend in April but check next year's Easter dates cos they won't allow the wine fiesta at the sametime . You know what it's like praying non stop in the Church til Easter Sunday morning !!!!

BonysLad :D:D