Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 07:35

Default Beware pick pockets: Eroski supermarkets

Just a quick word of warning about shopping in the big supermarkets, especially at busy times. I believe a man and woman working together opened the zipper of my bag but I felt the movement and they moved off quickly before getting my wallet. I watched the couple as they drifted though the isles picking up items but NOT shopping. They obviously realised I was watching and left the supermarket. As I was just with my wife and could not see any visible security decided so let it pass (plus it was our first day and we had just endured 3 hr wait for car at airport !).

This incident was in the large Eroski on the Pollenca to Port road, Saturday mid afternoon with everyone doing their "big shop" on their first day so it was very busy. I mentioned this to the guy in Pro Cycling the next day and he confirmed there is a problem there and his wife had a similar experience.

Soon got over the incident and had a fabulous 2 weeks but was much more vigillant on later visits.

Pollenca feel free to move this if it is better suited to another category.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2010, 07:48

This sort of riff raff get everywhere, don't they?
It happened to us years ago in AlCampo and by the time we noticed they were running off! We were told at the time that it was a gang of Eastern Europeans doing the rounds.
With regret it doesn't matter where these people come from it is the Town and Country which are remembered for it. Certainly PP can do without bad press for this sort of thing so the sooner these somewhat disgusting individuals are caught and dealt with the better. In the meantime its great that JoDave has reminded us all to be very careful and not leave our brains at home when we go on holiday.
Thanks for the warning JoDave and i'm glad your holiday wasn't ruined by the upset and inconvenience of losing your belongings.

Last edited by eleanor; 10-08-2010 at 07:49. Reason: typo
Old 10-08-2010, 07:57

We are regular visitors to Pollenca and this experience will not put us off as it happens everywhere. The key is to remember that been on holiday does mean you leave your wits at home.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:07

Yes - like anything - if there is no market then their business will cease to be!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:18

I have been a victim of this type of crime for many years.

Culprit=The Wife!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:42

LOL Wob! - Perhaps Mrs. Wob would like the right of reply!

Seriously - when this happened to us we lost our passports too. If this happens it is such a pain and time consuming to have to go to Palma to sort the problem.
We are probably over careful now with everything - including locking the villa doors when on the balcony upstairs. We wouldn't leave doors wide open here in England so why would we think of doing so in the villa? - We don't!
Old 10-08-2010, 20:04

Jodave,

Had my wallet lifted in that Eroski the first week in June. According to the Police it is prevalent there on Market day and Sats as you describe.

Can't understand why then they don't therefore put in someone in plain clothes ???

Eroski could do something as well but their attitude was that they couldn't care less

Just be careful , all of you, cos my friend chased two pickpockets out of Syp a couple of weeks ago.

Don't drop your guard , like silly me, in all that sunshine

BonysLad
Old 10-08-2010, 20:20

BL I don't think you were silly at all. It can happen to anyone and these criminals are experts.
We just need to be aware all the time that anyone can be their target.

Last edited by eleanor; 10-08-2010 at 20:57. Reason: Changed a word.
Old 10-08-2010, 22:00

We were at Pollensa market on Sunday and my wife was warned twice about her bag being open once by local police and again by a shop owner.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:54

Should have added this to my first post but thought it was getting too big. Simple measure I used was to effectively lock my shoulder/bum bag zip by attaching the zipper toggle under the shoulder strap clip. Bit fiddley when you come to pay but stops someone trying to open the zipper.
Old 12-08-2010, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonysLad View Post
Jodave,

Had my wallet lifted in that Eroski the first week in June. According to the Police it is prevalent there on Market day and Sats as you describe.

Can't understand why then they don't therefore put in someone in plain clothes ???

Eroski could do something as well but their attitude was that they couldn't care less

Just be careful , all of you, cos my friend chased two pickpockets out of Syp a couple of weeks ago.

Don't drop your guard , like silly me, in all that sunshine

BonysLad
Thank goodness, only your wallet, nothing in ther then BL.

I have got a bigger confession than that, last year fell for the time share touts (for a laugh) and nearly got into a major trauma with the "boss man" when I called him a fraudster etc. Threatened fisticuffs etc.) Anyway got a free taxi ride to Alcudia.......

cheers,

jimbo

p.s. Sir Fred will give you a sub if you are stuck.
Old 12-08-2010, 22:12

Hi Jimbo! - Glad all turned out ok for you but what actually happened?
We need to be aware so that we can be on our guard.
Old 12-08-2010, 23:06

Time share touts are the same the world over. You win a scratch card, you both have to be there, you need to meet somewhere for a talk and then collect your prize. Watched them a couple of years back in Alcudia after knowing exactly what they were doing, we had won - surprisingly the first person that day! As was everyone else! LOL!
Old 12-08-2010, 23:51

I had great fun with a time share tout in Lanzarote many years back - he was a real jack the lad - at the time we were staying in my uncles flat there and I just said to him " I've got a place here, one in Mallaorca and a nice home in England - what do I need from you?" His reply was "jees - you must earn more than me" and he walked away
Old 13-08-2010, 07:46

I haven't seen any time share touts in Pollensa, Alcudia or indeed anywhere we have travelled in Mallorca. I had hoped they hadn't arrived!
Yes as Bella says, they do seem to target tourists anywhere.
Congratulations on your 'win' Bella - and the first that day too!! How lucky are you!! lol
Hope you pointed them to the nearest exit off Mallorca!