Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2010, 18:04

Default How many Euros to take?

Hi everyone,
My first post to the forum on this very useful website.
We love Mallorca and have normally holidayed around Alcudia - last time 2006. We are due to go out to Pollensa in 2 weeks and now that we have 4 children we will no longer hire a car like normal, staying in an apartment near the beach. As it's been so long since we were in Mallorca, and given the strengthening in the Euro since then I'm struggling to work out how much money to convert into Euros.

I wonder whether anyone can help?

I will cook self-catering most nights, but will need to buy lunch out (light lunches, say 10 days) for 2 adults & 4 young children. We will rent an umbrella and 2 sunbeds each day for 14 days. We will have an ice-cream (6 therefore!) each day. I will need to go by taxi to a supermarket and back twice for food. And buy food for 14 days for 6 to cook/for breakfast. Plus bits and bobs for a few inflatables, minor souvenirs, etc.

Any idea how much we should take?! I know it's asking something hard to guess, but I'm hoping that people who have been in Pollensa more recently will be able to give me some guidance on current prices.

Thanks,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2010, 19:41

Helen,

Was just browsing through the " Advanced Maths for Dummies " when your question came in !!!!

As far as Supermarkets are concerned , think UK prices and you won't go far wrong. Somethings are cheaper but other things are quite a lot more expensive.( In particular toiletries and processed foods where you don't get the offers you get in the UK ) . If you stick to chicken and pork quite good value compared with lamb and steak . Two hamacas with a shade will cost you 11 euros per day . Light lunch for six you should probably allow 30 Euros per day minimum cos things like soft drinks for kids ain't cheap.

Taxi fares within PP are relatively cheap and have no ideas on souvenirs . Few Chinese pound shops around but how long is a piece of string ???

If you are on a tight budget go native and avoid the obvious tourist traps . Back street eating and drinking is a whole lot of a betta deal but you won't get the views , ambience etc .

Have a great holiday and hope this was useful ??

BonysLad
Old 03-08-2010, 20:51

I would agree that prices in supermarkets are not too much different from prices at home (depends where you shop). When we were out recently lunch for two ( 2 baguettes and 2 small beers) was around 12/14 euros, depending on where we ate. Soft drinks are about the same price as a beer sometimes. If your kids are really young why don't you buy diluting juice and take some out with you made up in beakers....it might save some money!
Ice creams are around 2 euros each so combine that with your sunbeds every day and you will need 23 euros each day (14 days is 322 euros just to sit on the beach with an ice cream!!!!!) Don't know the prices for taxis unfortunately.

Have a good holiday regardless!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 21:51

We allowed 100 euros a day when travelling with the terrible teenagers, but that was to eat out each night but lunch in apartment. Some days you spend more but some days less. We never hire sunbeds and get ice creams in the supermarket near the beach. I take cereal,biscuits and crunch bars with me as they are light plus stuff like supernoodles for snacks as they will have that before going out for a meal (they are both 6 foot 4 so take alot of filling!) It is hard to know how much money you will need until you work out how much what you buy in the supermarket will cost you. It might also be worth carching the bus into Alcudia to do a big shop at Mercardo (sp?) and taxing back from there.
Old 03-08-2010, 21:53

Default Taxi rates / super market prices

Taxi rates (from May 2009) are on the side panel under 'Airport Transfers & Taxis' - see also link below
Transport in Puerto Pollensa, Majorca - taxis, bus, trains, airport transfers

As you're staying close to the beach it shouldn't be too expensive to get a taxi to the supermarket.

Eroski has an on-line shopping site which might give you an idea about the prices. More info and link to site on the page below -
Puerto Pollensa, Mallorca Majorca - Shops, Markets

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by mike_dublin; 03-08-2010 at 21:53. Reason: typo
Old 03-08-2010, 22:14

After reading post on this forum regarding supermarket shopping we went to Alcudia to try the supermarket there. Yes it was bigger and had more choice, but I don't think the prices (for what we bought) were much cheaper than in Eroski. We went in there on the way back as I had forgotten a couple of things, and on comparing prices, Eroski was actually cheaper with a few items. If you're buying a lot of meat, fish, chicken etc then you will have much more choice.

We averaged 50/60 euros per day when we were out in July, but we did not hire sunbeds...that was purely for eating out (2 people). Ate out most days at lunch and probably 8 nights from 11. Had a couple of big lunches so didn't feel like much at night! Hoping to go out again in October and will probably budget much the same.
Old 04-08-2010, 00:14

We normally find our spending for 2 weeks for the 4 of us to be around 1500 that is eating out 2 nights out of 3 (bbq or similar at home in the apt) and either having a substansial lunch in the apt or taking it to the beach. we do not skimp on food when we are there so you could probably halve this if you where on a tight budget.

Supermarkets are about the same as at home exept that the fresh fish and meat is of a far higher quality and the alcohol is much cheaper - woohoo

If you are on a budget skip the fizzy drinks and beers etc in a bar - grab a tinnie from the offie and sit on the wall and enjoy the views
Old 04-08-2010, 09:57

Hi Busy mum, i go to PP in 3 days (WOO HOO) with my 5 boys. I have loads of tips of saving money with kids so if you want to private message me i'll list them all for you, If i did it on forum i think i'd get laughed at!!!! And everyone would fall asleep
Old 04-08-2010, 10:41

There's loads of Spar shops around the beach, if your on a budget avoid them like the plaque! Also, keep the empty small bottles of water and simply fill them from the big bottles (8 ltrs 1 euro in the supermarket) every day, the kids will be quite happy to drink when they're thirsty. Saves a small fortune on fizzy drinks. As has been mentioned, sunbeds are going to take a fair bit of your budget, consider even buying fold down chairs and beach umbrella, try the charity shops, it's amazing what you can find.
Old 04-08-2010, 19:44

Personally, I would rather forego the sunbeds and ice creams every day and spend some of my money on eating out at night. It seems such a pity to go on holiday and have to cook every night! There are so many wonderful restaurants (and not all expensive) in Puerto Pollensa it would be a shame not to try at least a few of them. It is your holiday too after all!!! Maybe we are being too critical, and everyone is entitled to spend their hard earned cash in whatever way they prefer. Everyone has different priorities......mine just happens to be eating a meal in the evening that I don't have to cook!!!!! I do that all the year round.
Old 04-08-2010, 20:37

I totally agree ragdollabi when you're away you need a break from cooking, and eating out when my children were little was the highlight of the holiday. All restaurants will happily do half portions or a portion to share with an extra plate! Little ones can then fall asleep in their buggies or play safetly in the square or on the beach on Pine Walk, while the adults enjoy a nightcap. Go Spanish and get them on continental time...a siesta in the afternooon and then they can stay up later than normal without getting whingey. With any luck you'll then get a lie in the morning A lot of the restaurants do menu of the day and probably works out as cheap as if you cook 'at home'!
Old 04-08-2010, 20:47

Would be interesting to read WRIGHTSTUFF's tips on saving money though, as I don't think anyone would deny that they are always on the lookout for a bargain, be it on holiday or not! Let's hear what your ideas are please.
Old 04-08-2010, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRIGHTSTUFF View Post
Hi Busy mum, i go to PP in 3 days (WOO HOO) with my 5 boys. I have loads of tips of saving money with kids so if you want to private message me i'll list them all for you, If i did it on forum i think i'd get laughed at!!!! And everyone would fall asleep
We can all learn from others tips Wrightstuff. Please share - would love to know your ideas.
I'm sure no one would go to sleep!
Old 04-08-2010, 21:05

Hi WRIGHTSTUFF,

I'd love to know your tips. Please share them with us - Anyone not interested doesn't need to read!!

Car
Old 04-08-2010, 21:48

hi we have two boys and myself and patner i we budget for 100 euros a day helen