Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-07-2010, 18:29

Default Bullfighting to be abolished.

I've just read in the local Ibiza paper Diario de Ibiza that as from January 2012 Cataluņa is going to prohibit bullfighting. It's not an overwhelimg pro vote though and they will still allow the practice of running bulls through the streets with flaiming buckets of tar etc. on their horns but at least it's a start. A vote in the paper came up with 57% agreed with the ban because it was maltreatment of animals, 20% disagreed because it was a tradition that should be protected and 23% sais they didn't like bullfightting but it was a tradition. Having briefly seen it on Spanish TV ( never again) I can only hope the ban will evetually cover all of Spain but I seriosly doubt it will.
Old 28-07-2010, 18:30

Gotta learn to type better!!
Old 28-07-2010, 19:22

Hi Zurdo - please do not worry about your typing lol

I sincerely hope that bullfighting and any animal cruelty will be abolished. In my view there is just no room for any form of animal cruelty - tradition or not.
Shame we can't vote too but at least we have the option of being able to vote with our feet by not attending such horrid events.
Thanks for letting us know.
Old 28-07-2010, 19:51

Lets hope it goes through - "Tradition" has been an excuse for too many things both now and in the past.

I cannot possibly imagine how anyone gets thrills from injuring or killing anything, let alone in a quite deliberate manner. Public opinion seems to generally reflect this, but I do recognise that it is part of the spanish culture, and I respect that fact.

Times change though - Lets hope this tradition becomes one seen as part of the country's history, rather than its future.
Old 28-07-2010, 20:05

Great post LM, you are right it is a tradition and a big part of Spanish culture, the world has been telling them for years now that it has no part in a modern country and it is great that finally they are deciding themselves to bring in a ban, not before time, a long way to go, this could still be overturned but it shows the degree of change in the county, lets hope for a total ban within a few years.

On island time!!
Old 28-07-2010, 22:16

I am off to Calasparra end of August to see the Bull run this is a tame event compared with some the bulls just run up the streets with the brave boys ahead then into the ring where the brave local boys take on the bulls no hurting no killing just man v bull who can outwhit who.

Calasparra Annual Fiesta

The main annual fiesta in Calasparra is held the first week of September where the whole town comes out to party. Itīs a lively event where most companies close for the week so everyone can let their hair down, There are many colourful parades, daily bull runs through the town and also a run for the children. The beer tents are open most afternoons/evenings along with lively music, street stalls selling jewellery, leather goods, etc. You can choose to be in the midst of the party or soak up the atmosphere with a glass of wine at a nearby cafe. There are also live bands in the auditorium and a fair ground with rides for both adults and children.

Last edited by snowy2007; 28-07-2010 at 22:19.
Old 28-07-2010, 22:17

Well said SWS and LM

I think this is one thread where I hope we all agree.
Old 28-07-2010, 22:58

Snowy, have you seen the fear and the terror in the eyes of those bulls who just "run up the streets"? It's as bad as the actual bull fighting. It's a disgusting, cruel event. No civilised country should condone such a spectacle. It's the same as fox hunting in this country.
Some people talk of tradition, as if that's an excuse for cruelty to animals. Rubbish. The sooner they ban it the better.
Old 29-07-2010, 07:32

Well said Tony. I could never understand how anyone can get their kicks out of seeing animals suffer. - There are some strange people out there though!
Old 29-07-2010, 08:33
Super Moderator

I was thrilled to see the news of the ban on Spanish TV, as has been said before it is a barbaric "tradition". Of course the ban is only in one area and i am told it is more of a political decision than actual concern for the bulls but it is a start, although i don't understand why it could not be introduced before 2012.
Old 29-07-2010, 09:51

Snowy, that sounds a much more civilised way to see old Spanish traditions with the bulls. I look forward to you sending me a few links to that - but dont try the running yourself please!!
Old 29-07-2010, 10:11

Hope it sticks! Mind you the Spanish dictionary must have a different interpretation of the word "banned"
Old 29-07-2010, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Snowy, that sounds a much more civilised way to see old Spanish traditions with the bulls. I look forward to you sending me a few links to that - but dont try the running yourself please!!
I am not sure the word civilised can be used in way when talking about Spanish traditions with the bull, maybe not in this one but in most other bull runs including the recently held, world famous bull run at Pamplona, the bulls are killed in the ring at the end of the day, lets hope these runs will soon be a part of Spanish history like bull fighting and not part of the present.

On island time!!
Old 29-07-2010, 12:12

Would certainly want to check that was not going to happen if I went to see anything like that, thats for sure. Its very difficult when you deal with traditions in countries, look at our own fox hunting debate! I once went on a deer hunt when I was younger as an exchange student in France. Totally embarrassed myself infront of the French family by crying my eyes out.
Old 29-07-2010, 12:25

Thats the point though, it is cruel and unnatural to run terrified bulls through the streets and into bull rings for fun even if you dont kill them at the end of it! The good thing about this latest campaign it is the Spanish people voting for the ban themselves.

On island time!!