Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-07-2010, 22:43

Default My little review of PP

Dear All,

I did my restaurant review as soon as we got back on 17th July, but I forgot to do my general review. So I thought I’d do one now.
Arrived in PP on 3rd July. Noticed it was very quiet. First time I’ve been able to cross the main road at the roundabout, by the 1919 café, without using the crossings. Hardly any traffic at all. Very few people about, and this was at 17.00 on a Saturday night. Same the next day. But from Monday on it just got busier and busier.
What can I say about the weather? Last July they were talking about record temperatures. This year it was even hotter. I have a little sort of temperature device thing which I bought last year. I kept it on the balcony of the apartment for 2 weeks. Some days it was reading well into the 40s. Maybe my balcony is a little sun-trap and doesn’t give a true reading, but it was certainly very very hot. Went to the beach almost every day. It was too hot to do anything else. Went to the old town of Pollenssa one day. Too hot even to just walk around. Came back to PP within the hour. I noticed that they’ve closed the old bus station. You have to search for the bus stop to get back to PP.
Back in PP, a fair amount of dog poo about but not too bad, seen it worse. The guys cleaning the Pine Walk were out everyday; the bin men were out very early emptying the bins.
A few musical, dancing events going on in the square most evenings, lots of kids about enjoying themselves, which is always great to see. The atmosphere was great, better than normal. Spent a few evenings at Bonys. Great place to just sit, drink and soak up the atmosphere.
We watched a few World Cup matches in various bars/restaurants. Watched the final in Los Pescadores. What a night! Brilliant. I’d hate to think what the atmosphere would have been like if Spain had lost the final. But it was ok, they won.
Noticed there were a lot more Germans there this year. But I think out-numbering even them were the Scots and the Irish. Do you guys have very cheap flights from Scotland and Ireland, or what?
Overall, this was our best holiday in PP so far (best holiday anywhere, really.)
The weather and the great food we had in all the restaurants we went to, especially Los Pescadores and Zarzales, and the general laid-back atmosphere really made it special.
I’m trying to think of a downside, a criticism, a negative point - and I can’t! Great holiday. Liked it so much that we have just booked (today, actually) another week there in September this year. Only 7 weeks to go!
Oh, forgot to mention, another highlight of the holiday was seeing Ant, of Ant and Dec fame. Mmmm.
Anyone who has never been to PP before and is thinking of whether to go or not…all I can say is do yourselves a favour and book that holiday now. You’ll love it. And anyone who has been there and has not enjoyed it…What is wrong with you???

There’s a nice little place on the Pine Walk I’ve got my eye on and as soon as I win the Lottery, which is any week now, I’ll be buying it.
Old 28-07-2010, 22:54

Great post Pollpott, glad you had a great time and glad its sounds like the place is as good as ever, counting down the days now, cant wait, as you say if you are thinking about it go, you definitely will not regret it

On island time!!
Old 29-07-2010, 18:37

lovely review, thanks! I can't beleive it is quiet, i worked out today that with my recomendations to family alone, this will have increased PP visitors by 14 people this year alone, (5 couples, 4 kids, 5 visits). Glad you had a good time
Old 29-07-2010, 20:09

Lovely review.....you just reminded me .....I forgot to buy my euro millions ticket.....oh well ....there is always next week
I have my eye on a property at Formentor Beach only 14 million
Old 30-07-2010, 11:23

Hi Pollpott, I really enjoyed reading your review and am glad you had such a good holiday. We arrived towards the end of your stay (15th July) and I found PP to be much busier than expected. After the first few days we found we had to book restaurants in advance or we could not get a table, and we were not eating until 9pm. My sister arrived yesterday and couldn't get a table at Laroc last night, so she has decided to take my advice and booked ahead for tonight. Long may it continue.

In answer to your question, unfortunately we don't have any cheap flights from Ireland, quite the opposite in fact as July is our most expensive period for flight from Belfast to Palma, but our schools here finish for summer at the end of June. Also many factories, businesses etc traditionally closed for a few weeks in July (not so much nowadays) and this is when most people take their annual holiday. So that's why there were so many of us around!

Enjoy your week in September - we are back in October.
Old 30-07-2010, 19:16

i seem to remember that the schools in Scotland and Ireland finish earlier for the summer hols than England and Wales-that also may have an impact especially as the schools are not happy about taking the children out of school in term time

Eating Out

Last edited by CathB; 30-07-2010 at 19:17. Reason: .