Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 14:29

Default Dare I ask this?

My wife suggested instead of our usual 2 or 3 trips a year to Pollensa we have 1 of them elsewhere could anyone suggest a alternative given we love the pollensa region? my wife suggested Menorca? or maybe I could persuade her to do a 2 centre trip to Mallorca ,Pollensa and another place on the island ,any ideas?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2010, 17:14

Funnily enough we were thinking of doing the same thing... we are going for a few nights to Portals Nous at the other end of the island. Some friends of ours have just been there and had very good things to say about it - plus it is near Palma and lots of things we have never visited in Mallorca, despite going there twice a year for fifteen years, such as the Aquarium and the Miro Foundation. It sounds ridiculous as it is such a small island but once we get to Pollensa we always seem to batten down the hatches and stay put - pure laziness on our part, I think. So we are going to make a bit of an effort in future!
Old 06-10-2010, 17:21

Ironman hi!

Have a look at the topic "Is there anywhere in Spain like Puerto Pollensa ?" under Miscellaneous and in particular, to my post on 17th September.

Well worth a try I'd say, and I'd love to hear someone else's views on how PP and Port Cambrils compare.

Porto
Old 06-10-2010, 18:26

Thanks Portofan ,I hadn't seen the thread,still not convinced!
Old 06-10-2010, 19:34

I'd say....give Menorca a try....just be careful where you book. Cala'n Bosch, Cala Galdana, Cala Blanca and Santo Tomas are all family friendly quiet resorts. Cala'n Forcat imo is a bit tacky. Fornells is nice albeit a bit off the beaten track. Do your research depending on what kind of holiday you want. We went to Cala'n Bosch for years when our kids were younger and loved it. Best of luck
Old 06-10-2010, 22:02

Went to Cala Galdana once, after the first time we'd been to Puerto Pollensa.

No contest, forget it, PP wins hands down.
Old 06-10-2010, 23:57

I would have to say do a couple of days or 3 in Palma, stay at a nice traditional hotel, do the culture bit and then hit the beach and the relaxation of PP - or do PP and a weekend break to Minorca or Ibiza - we do it from home so why not from Mallorca?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer View Post
I would have to say do a couple of days or 3 in Palma, stay at a nice traditional hotel, do the culture bit and then hit the beach and the relaxation of PP - or do PP and a weekend break to Minorca or Ibiza - we do it from home so why not from Mallorca?
We priced up a short break or even a day over on Menorca and the prices for the ferry from Alcudia were extortionate. Cheaper if you're a resident as there is a 50% discount, but that's another story, hope it continues for all who live out there.
Old 07-10-2010, 17:01

If I was going to do a two centre trip to Mallorca then I would either go to Palma for a few days or Soller, which is beautiful.
There are two other places that we visit regularly and they couldn't be further apart - Barcelona and Anglesey! Love them both but for totally different holidays.
Old 07-10-2010, 19:39

We tried Menorca twice - stayed in Santo Tomas which has a lovely beach but is about a tenth of the size of PP in terms of eating out. We hired a car to go exploring and you could do the whole island in a day and the road up the middle of the island is mad which you have to go to get anywhere. We then went to Cal n Porter which was a dirty hole then and we would never return.
Old 07-10-2010, 23:46

Having spent a lovely week of doing very little in the Port, which was absoluely blissful we returned home last Friday. Standing, or rather propped up by our Rayburn I look out of our kitchen window viewing the top end of Caernarfon Bay, the Menai Strait and up the coast of Anglesey. I love itjust as much as the view over the mountains from our apartment. I'm very lucky indeed to have the best of both worlds and wouldn't change a thing.

PeRu
Old 08-10-2010, 00:02

Sounds good to me Peroo and although I have never been to that part of the UK....I have seen the pictures, stunning. There are some beautiful places here too and the weather reaching into the twenties this week-end it's not too bad a place to be

Last edited by favie; 08-10-2010 at 00:09.
Old 08-10-2010, 14:29

Very jealous Peru. Have you ever noticed that when you drive through Beaumaris and out toward Llangoed that the bay is similar to the PP bay? We say it every time.
Old 08-10-2010, 17:43

Ironman,
If you love Pollensa then I'm sure you'll like Llafranc on the Costa Brava. It's a great little place just along the coast from Calella de Palarugell. (Not to be confused with Calella.) Not as many restaurants as PP but a lovely location. The walks, either along the cliffs or the roads, are really good. You can easily walk to Tamariu and a few other lovely beaches. We stayed at the Terramar Hotel, right on the front, just a few yards from the beach.
I'm sure you'll like it a lot, it has the same laid-back feel as PP but is a lot quieter and smaller. Not much to do there but a great place.
T
Old 09-10-2010, 10:46

Cala Candana in Menorca is lovely, but we found it to be just a little bit too quiet. You could walk the whole resort in 15 minutes. There are only a handful of shops and restaurants. Its ideal for young families though.

The other downside is that you really do need to hire a car if you go to Cala Candana as the public transport is a bit hit and miss,. On top of that sun loungers, drinks, restaurants were a lot more expensive .

For us there is no contest though. Puerto Pollensa beats Menorca hands down - no contest whatsoever with regards to everything including food, buses etc.

The public transport in PP was excellent. I am missing PP so much already.......