Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-07-2010, 17:19

Default Grandads Various trip(s) report.

How time flies when you are retired.. I have to report on three trips, firstly beginning of May when I flew from East Mids with Ryannair,"flight on time" and I arrived in P.P on the Tuesday after the bIg storm which had flooded the Nags, Codfather's and the square. If you have never seen one of the ports storms then you are missing something. When it rains it pours! you literaly cannot see your hand in front of you. If you are then lucky, to see the lighning bouncing off the mountains and hear the thunder echoing around the whole bay,then while it can be frightening it is wonderfull at the same time.
That week in May was Cold. needed hot bathes at night to get warm.(plus a few Brandies). Apparantly like the UK, the season is 4/6 weeks out of sinc so by all accounts it should be a good October. Sparky needs to consult her pine cones. If anyone worries about coming to P.P. on there own then there is no need. Restaurants are only too pleased to seat you and ladies need have no fears on walking anywhere in the port by themselves. Even if you are not a Bar person,(There are Bars and Bars) it is such a different atmosphere in P.P and wherever you go there is always a friendly smile. I ate at El Posito where I had the Squid of the Bay which are about 2 inches long done in a Garlic sauce. Not to be confused with baby squid which are more like the tadpole stage although these are delicious as long as the batter is to your liking. I also ate at The Nags as I just wanted a good plain meal and for less than 10 euro you get exactly that,together with a lovely smile from Angie. Also for the first time I went to the Codfather. If you wonder where all the best fish has gone from the Uk shores then its here. Being Cold I ate inside where there are none of the usual smells and had Cod, Chips and Mushy Peas. It was the best white fish I have had in years and their homemade chips were Brill. At this time of the year the Deck chairs were not out but in any case it was too cold. Went to see Elvis(Dennis) as Mulligans had just reopened and felt soo sorry for him as he had one family who messed up his show. Me, I would have decked someone but he kept his cool and tried to be professional. Well done.. I still enjoy his act. Nostalga is a party night every night, different people, different songs and Colin is clever enough to play to the crowd. Home about 3 am.. Up at the crack of dawn (about 10 am ). Nothing moves much in P.P till after 10 am.
My next trip was with three friends who would not go inside anywhere as they were determined to make the most of the mostly summer evenings but mainly due to the smokers. Next January will see a BIG difference when the smoking ban takes effect. It is bound to hit the bars in P.P as it has done in the UK. We flew by Easyjet from Luton and as we wanted to sit together(Too mean to pay priority booking)you have to learn to become Easyjet people and be rude enough to get your seats and queue early.( I know of a couple of tricks but do not want to share publicily). On my own there is no problem as I like an aisle seat and I need to be near the front so I can get away quick as they only disembark from the front at Palma. You see people, one sitting at the window,one at the aisle, you know they are together just trying to get extra space. So, I always butt in and try to sit in the middle and guess what, they move. I don't talk to people anyway when I am on the plane so if I have upset them,so what. I digress. We ate twice at Ca'n Carrusa which is a set menu for around 30 euro but includes the wine and water and the gardens are lovely to sit in. Also ate at Hells Kitchen where the set menu was 16.50 and as Ian the Chef was in a good frame of mind we had a lovely meal.I had Deviled Whitebait which was the best ever. He cooks differently depending on his mood "hence Hells Kitchen" Also we had the set menu at Hibiscas at 19 Euro ? and had some beautiful food served by very friendly staff who made it into a good night.Its worth walking round to see who is offering what as even restaurants like the Galeta are now offering set menus like tribeca and if you see the food you like you at least you know what its going to cost you. Worst meal was at the Bahia which cost us (4 people) 150 euro.Too much for what we ate.Went to Old Pollensa to walk the steps( I think with the new ones there must be more than the 365 ? ) also to old Alcudia which is still charming.
My last trip from which I have just returned was with my Grandaughter(21) brother and sister in law flying with Ryannair from East Mids. Again no delays.Temperaturs are back to normal." Hot " and Sea like a bath. Ate twice at Coral, food always the same good home cooking with Anna,George and Pedro giving you that friendly service. We went to Tango's which still has the same good food but the atmosphere is not the same as when they were in the square.Ate at the reopened Sis Pins and sorry to say it was the worst meal we had. Went again to the Codfather and sat out in the garden area.One of us had Scampi which was voted as the best anywhere. We also ate at Trio's which again at 18 ish euro was I think great value as it includes a bottle of wine for two and fantastic choice of menu. Did watch the footy, spanish were great fun in the square, and went twice to Nostalga with my Grandaughter enjoying it as much as myself even though there is a big diversity of age.
Well thats it, amazing how the days seem to go quickly and how the sun drains you of energy but you come round about 7/8pm when you can sit outside El Pozo with a beer in your hand watching the world go by. have a meal and then go partying!!! till early morning. What a hard life.. so hard I am coming back for a month in August.

Last edited by Grandad; 15-07-2010 at 17:23.
Old 15-07-2010, 18:42
Super Moderator

Hi Grandad, sorry i didn't get to see much of you this time but look forward to seeing you again next month.
Old 15-07-2010, 20:18

You are right Grandad, it's a hard life in PP! Nice post - I can see you becoming a cult hero on this fourm. More please!
Old 15-07-2010, 20:23

Excellent post Grandad, Hope you have a great time in August too.
Nice to see someone else on here that uses East Mids!
Old 15-07-2010, 22:58

Great post, Grandad! Must have come across you in Posito over the years, I'm currently trying to edge Sparky off the stool in the corner, but she's not for budging and i've the bruises to prove it!
Old 16-07-2010, 07:31

Grandad, great report and quite a few things I could relate to....
El Pozo is one of our favourite spots early evening. Great place to soak up the local vibe, then a quick dash into Euroski for supper and cycle home. Will look out for you in August.

The Wob
Old 17-07-2010, 10:43

Default Trip Report

Great report it must have taken you ages to write it thanks
Old 18-07-2010, 10:30

Default grandad

Lucky you going to PP so many times in the year, great posts Grandad, thanks for taking the time to write them....nice to see Codfather still getting great reviews, whenever we come back we have a family tradition for eat there the first night, Nick and the lovely Marrisa,[that's how she is known by the OH] always make us feel so welcome and we have never had a bad meal. Nice to see that you go with different age groups too, and you are so right when you say that it is a very safe environment for everyone.
Old 19-07-2010, 00:01

So that her name, Marrisa! She is indeed a asset to the place, always very pleasant (as are most in the port). One of reasons why we return to restaurants time and time again.