Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Travel Insurance (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/6271-travel-insurance.html)

edward 15-07-2010 08:43

Avoid Ryanair Travel Insurance if you have ANY PREVIOUS MEDICAL CONDITIONS as they will NOT be covered however slight or distant they are- Policy is automaticly VOID,& they are NOT willing to discuss it.

alcanadakid 15-07-2010 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by edward (Post 46867)
Avoid Ryanair Travel Insurance if you have ANY PREVIOUS MEDICAL CONDITIONS as they will NOT be covered however slight or distant they are- Policy is automaticly VOID,& they are NOT willing to discuss it.

They might not but I am sure that the Ombudman would. A contract has to be fair and reasonable.

However why take a risk? You can find very cheap travel insurance by using sites such as confused.com or moneysupermarket.com

sws97sdg 15-07-2010 13:54

I think with most insurance companies you have to disclose if you have a pre existing medical complaint, my wife does so we always have, why run the risk of them not paying out if you need it, as said if you search for holiday insurance online you will find cheap options even after any extra they may require off you.

jmcg1 15-07-2010 15:31

Agree with all the above. I paid extra for my travel insurance and declared my husband's illness and medication. I stupidly forgot to mention a drug which he was just prescribed before we went on holiday and this was enough for them to say we were not covered. However, they have since said that we will be covered, but it has caused a lot of unecessary upset and worry (which you don't need when someone is ill).

Janey.

Bean Counter 15-07-2010 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmcg1 (Post 46890)
Agree with all the above. I paid extra for my travel insurance and declared my husband's illness and medication. I stupidly forgot to mention a drug which he was just prescribed before we went on holiday and this was enough for them to say we were not covered. However, they have since said that we will be covered, but it has caused a lot of unecessary upset and worry (which you don't need when someone is ill).

Janey.

You're absolutely right, Janey. Like you, I declare everything I can think of re my husband's "pre-existing condition" and his medication. But it is so easy to forget to declare any changes between taking out the insurance and actually travelling.

I am so pleased that your insurers decided to come through in the end. But the stress it must have caused you when you were forced to fly home and leave your husband just doesn't bear thinking about.

Smiddy 15-07-2010 22:54

Janey, Don't know who your insurance people are but i would have had thought the fact that you declared your husbands illness would have been sufficient:confused: After all, when you arrange a insurance travel policy they will ask you all sorts of questions in relation to any illness before THEY decide wether or not to risk cover, after they give the go ahead they can't just move the goalposts as they go along! I take 17 different drugs which can change from month to month, it would be impractical for me (and many others) to advise them of all the changes. You've nothing to blame youreself for, it's the insurance company that needs a good kick up the back-side!

Hope your husbands health is improving, and you get a chance to get back to PP under better circumstances.

eleanor 16-07-2010 09:19

Whenever any form of insurance claim is mentioned it usually equals a battle of some sort. It's not on really as insurance is bought in good faith and when a claim is made it usually means an upset of some sort. This could be something awful as is the case with Janey to someone deciding to drive into your wall (as is our case) - nowhere near the scale of Janey's distress of course but why should we always have to fight. I understand that insurance companies need to check things out but it seems sometimes that to claim for any reason is to declare war. I need to renew our travel insurance soon and really have no idea which company to choose. They all seem much the same on paper but it would be good if perhaps these comparison sites could rate on customer service as well as price.

tim 16-07-2010 11:25

eleanor I have allways used Club Direct, had a few claims, allways paid up no problems.

Smiddy 16-07-2010 12:01

I use Direct Line, annnual policy with medical cover, the few claims i've had have been settled, no problem.

eleanor 16-07-2010 14:41

Thanks for this Smiddy and Tim.
Always good to have a recommendation.

susiejb 16-07-2010 18:27

I think Janeys problem and our recent robbery have highlighted the need to take care when purchasing insurance.
I can only be thankful that by some minor miracle I ticked the box 'away from home' on our home insurance. This covered our personal possessions for the whole of Europe.
They have paid out his week, and covered an amount far in excess of that on our travel insurance ..... which although it offered good basic cover, was totally insufficient when it came to our claim.
Our home policy was with Fortis and I have found them absolutely excellent.

Smiddy 16-07-2010 20:35

Good to hear Susiejb! I read somewhere that it was something like only 50 per cent of people actualy bothered to insure themselves:eek: Not a decision i would recommend.

alcanadakid 17-07-2010 11:01

We use Swiftcover which is one of the cheapest shown on a price comparison website. We had one claim and no problems

CathB 17-07-2010 22:55

we have used Direct Travel for a number of years for our annual family policy - very reasonable and have had no problems with pre existing medical conditions and it still covers my 21 yrs old daughter for free as she is a student.it can by used for UK trips of 2 nights or more.