Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Footie Screens in PP Restaurants !!!!! (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/6233-footie-screens-pp-restaurants.html)

BonysLad 06-07-2010 23:38

Footie Screens in PP Restaurants !!!!!

Having been told to start a new thread thought I'd start by saying that to compare Nadal's performance ( luv the lad, and a great , great champion ) by it's tv viewing ( Sunday p.m. 3 - 5.45 pm here ) is hardly prime time tv viewing ( or even incringing on prime restaurant time !!! ) to the World Cup coverage in restaurants at present.

One thing that has united everybody , like it or not, is the World Cup which just proves that soccer brings together the World . To have witnessed over the last three weeks the hopes, aspirations of so many different nationalities here and the dying of their dreams has been illuminating. Been asked so many times Argentina or Espana ?? by the locals since England were knocked out I've answered totally dishonestly !!!!

Two more nights now that Holland are through when TVs will encrouch our enjoyment , although not mine .

Can't wait for tomorrow or Sunday night !!!!

BonysLad :):)

med777 07-07-2010 00:09

must be a boy thang, BL...but, no it hasn't brought the world together... but then I am sure u haven't noticed that cos u have been glued to the telly !;)
For many it is just boring and the only thing more boring is the neverending PM's on it !
That said... it is amazing at the following of it by so many especilally when it has become so expensive that jo public just cant afford to attend matches and has to go to a venue with a big screen.

But some perspective is required here :rolleyes:

It isn't fair that people with no interest in footie should have it inflicted on them in public spaces.
It is about choices.. if u want to watch the games, then watch it on YOUR TV... or in a sports bar. If others want to have a meal or a drink... let them do so, without it being a crime to do just that.

to sws... how lucky ur wife must feel, she can sit with her back to the TV, facing her every loving whose eyes are glued to the set !

We are all different, but cosideration should be given to these differences.

At the end of the day, it's just a game.

Miriam
( and having written all that, I have just realised I have watched more footie lately than tennis, and enjoyed it :eek:
BUT... at home, on my tv )

sws97sdg 07-07-2010 09:08

Its ok Miriam, I have perfected the art of looking dreamily into her eyes and still looking at the screen, its similar to the art of not listening and still working out when to say yes dear
I am sure they are still enough restaurants without screens if that’s what you wont as well.
As I said before if the owners didn't think people wanted them they wouldn't do it, the truth is most do, they will come down come Sunday I'm sure.

Sparky 07-07-2010 09:58

As BL and SWS know, i love football and have spent many an hour cheering, screaming and shouting at the TV and it is so much better when there are others around you doing the same. However that is in a bar not in a restaurant, i honestly don't think dining and TV go together and that's not just sport, i mean TV period.
I think (apart from sport) TV kills conversation (even in a bar) and never will understand why people go to a bar and watch soaps etc.

sws97sdg 07-07-2010 10:46

Agreed with you on the soaps Sparky, this is just about screens for special sporting events not general viewing which is why I hope and expect they will come down after Sunday.

Belladonna 07-07-2010 10:51

Totally agree with med and sparky! As I said before, TV is best left in Bars where its expected to be noisy, smokey and full of shouting banter, restaurants are surely for a quieter get together.

I am quite happy to shout along with the best of them at an England match believe me, and for a drink and a handful of nuts (!) I would be happy to go to a bar for a couple of hours, but I would hate to go to a restaurant for a good meal and have that going on around me.
It's going to be a mute point of discussion anyway, as sws says, it will surely be all over come Sunday anyway.

Canbalache 07-07-2010 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belladonna (Post 46320)
Totally agree with med and sparky! As I said before, TV is best left in Bars where its expected to be noisy, smokey and full of shouting banter, restaurants are surely for a quieter get together.

I am quite happy to shout along with the best of them at an England match believe me, and for a drink and a handful of nuts (!) I would be happy to go to a bar for a couple of hours, but I would hate to go to a restaurant for a good meal and have that going on around me.
It's going to be a mute point of discussion anyway, as sws says, it will surely be all over come Sunday anyway.

For the benifit of those that do not know we are a bar just off the front next door to los zarzales one of the top restaurants in the port, after the first 2 days of the world cup having no customers and seeing us very busy with customers watching the football they installed a tv on their terrace built an outside bar area and erected advertising boards for the football, people are doing what ever it takes to survive.

Sparky 07-07-2010 15:48

Yes you are absolutely right it is all about trying to survive. You know me and you know i want this resort to prosper and grow, i just wish the restaurants would do what they do best and leave the bars to do the same. ;)