Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   What do you miss? (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/6232-what-do-you-miss.html)

Gommar Goffer 06-07-2010 22:38

What do you miss?

What do you miss in PP that used to be there/here - that you enjoyed in your childhood when you visited or maybe last year? Was it a restaurant that you went to once and is now gone or something further back? Memories that stick in your mind?

For me there are many things but the ones that I remember most and give me fondest memories of PP are:-

Mr Valls with his icecream motor tricycle trundling along the front every day - I remember it from the first day I visited with my parents to the days when I was there with my two kids - you could almost set your watch by him!

The Coach House - which is now Little Italy - a good restuarant at lunch time but also a cracking beach bar - at six o'clock on the beach it was a nod to Juan - the owner - and the required Bloody Mary's would be delivered to the beach before he shut up shop and went home. We just returned the tray to a table for him to collect in the morning.

susiejb 07-07-2010 00:33

Great post GG...should we write a book...Memories of PP.....loads of interesting stories on here :)

siren73 07-07-2010 01:21

I really miss the Bowling alley and the Mini golf, spent many a day in them as a kid. Now our young uns go to that wretched video arcade on the front.

Bring back the days of Ten pin bowling with a chocolate milk in hand.

I was also the Pollensa Park pool champ back in '88. Won a bottle of cheap fiz but was too young to drink.

ttfn, Si.

P.S. only 4 days to go , yippee !

Joanne 07-07-2010 06:05

We too miss Mr Helados and I also miss Katy's bar

onceroundthemarina 07-07-2010 06:21

what do you miss

I miss the stalls in the market square in the evenings....I think it used to add a real buzz to the place, also the guy who used to call out to you from Tangos when it was at the old place, and I really miss the bag shop, it was always a tradition in our house for the females to purchase a new bag/purse from the chap, he always had such lovely stock and we always came away with a new purchase.

PP76 07-07-2010 07:19

The Bowling alley was great, especially in the 70's when it was so basic the pins had to be put back in place manually.

PP76

elainewalls 07-07-2010 07:48

We miss some restaurants Montenegro we loved this place it was a tradition for us to go there on the first and last nights of our holiday sadly it closed about 2-3 years ago also Balaixa for fabulous long lunches and the children loved the pool and romantic evening dinners also C'an Pacienci where the food was wonderful. Never mind we have great memories and lots of photos which we pore over from time to time. Like the others I remember the Ice cream man and Bar Katy both of which we also miss.

JH02JLH 07-07-2010 08:23

We're planning (very early stages) to go back to PP in the summer of 2012 but I know I'll miss Ca'n Costa most of all - I have so many happy memories of the restaurant from 1996 - 2008. I'll also miss Ca'n Pacienci (a.k.a. The Yellow Canary in our house!) and the old style L'Aup. Plus Balaixa and Bistro Mar.

The bag shop in the square in PP will also be missed by my daughter who used to drag her dad in there to buy her a bag every year as well...

Gommar Goffer 07-07-2010 08:39

I had forgotten about the bowling alley - we used to go there alot when my sister and I were teenagers.

I remember that it was customary to roll a 50 peseta coin down the alley for the lads who reset the pins as a tip - swiftly followed by a ball:eek:

Belladonna 07-07-2010 08:59

Everything Jane said!

sws97sdg 07-07-2010 09:02

El Molino in Pollensa, still empty last year exactly as it was left, very sad

kate1 07-07-2010 09:42

I really miss the Daus restaurant which used to be on the Calvario steps in Pollensa in the early 1990s with Christina as host - beautiful setting, fantastic atmosphere and good food.

Rosie34 07-07-2010 10:11

I miss the old SYP supermarket on the Pollensa/Pp road. It was tiny compared to the new one, but it seemed to have just about everything and they didnt change things about so you knew exactly where to find what you wanted. They had an excellent fresh meat counter with a very intimidating looking lady butcher - who was quite ok when you got used to her! And I can still hear the childrens 'cowboy' ride outside - was it the Magnificent 7 tune - well something similar! And we miss the Garroverar (spelling?) restaurant (became the Balaixa) it had a lovely cosy bar area many years ago and when it changed hands, they subsituted plastic chairs for the comfy sofas! I had the best peppered steak there ever! There are so many restaurants that we miss - the El Pozo where I had my first ever Lomo con Col on a cold rainy October evening, Monte Negro where I first tried Frito Mallorquin, and a lovely traditional spanish restaurant which is now JK's. And what about that cheap booze/sweets shop near the marina roundabout, its now a bank or something similar - had a rather gloomy owner, but the selection upstairs and prices of their booze was amazing - you could spend ages just looking!

But, even so its the best place to be - wish I was there now;)

JH02JLH 07-07-2010 10:20

Oh yes! I miss the old Syp as well!! I loved it in there and it was always our first port of call to stock up on goodies for the fridge!

The wine/liquor shop was Mir - I think? That's frightening that I'm not sure!

Belladonna 07-07-2010 10:43

Yep, have never found prepared BBQ food to match the old Syp. And have never found as many snakes, scorpions etc in drinks bottles as in the old Mir wine shop - or anyone so grumpy!