Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 10:44

Agreed the new one is not a patch on the old one with the ride outside, and also Mr Mir's shop, always called in there for esentials on the way back to the apartment ready for a night cap when the kids were tucked up in bed.

On island time!!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2010, 10:58

Wow - what a thread! Many memories are flooding back from the posts on here.

Kate mentioned Daus which I remember before Christina, when it was run by (I think) the people who now have the Siller restaurant. Christina at that time was running La Font del Gall, which was also excellent. Had some great nights in El Pozo when it was a huge restaurant and was located pretty much where O Lume has now moved to. I liked the old Tango location in the square as well. Also the Pine walk before the Pines vanished was special.

Rosie - I seem to remember the music on the horse at SYP was the Bonanza theme but I could be wrong! Also, as Jane says, Mr Grumpy's liquor shop was called Mir and it is now a bank. He is still around, I saw him having lunch in Neptuno back in February, looking as miserable as ever!

We used to go to Mal Pas when the children were little. There was a beach bar at one of the beaches - is it still there? I still have fond memories of sitting there, at the end of the day, whilst sipping an industrial strength gin and tonic as the sun lowered in the clear blue sky.

I really miss the Spanish Peseta and its fantastic exchange rate
Old 07-07-2010, 12:03

Bit further away, but I remember the old "soldiers" metal bridge over the lagoon down the Alcudia "strip" - now brick built. Boy, was THAT fun trying to get those horse peddle bike things up!

Love the peseta memory alcanada!
Old 07-07-2010, 14:31

I have to agree with most of what's been already said. We loved the old SYP with the cowboy ride. Also Mir shop ( now Barclays, I think) we spent ages upstairs looking at all the wines, some bargains to be had too. I took some photos of upstairs, all the rows of bottles etc & glad I did cos next year it had gone.
Old 07-07-2010, 15:00

I am so glad other people miss a supermarket I miss Caprabo and especially the wash powder which I always brought home so I could do a wash in the middle of winter and smell the summer in PP. Eroski is just not as good for me...
Old 07-07-2010, 15:28

What a great post. I echo most of the things that people have already said - Mr Valls (brilliant), Mir (never thought I would miss his grumpy face). We were quite late discovering Montenegro but it was great. One that we really miss is Bona Cepa - it was a fantastic restaurant and that fresh cool eating area at the bag was lovely.

One of the things we hated when we used to stay down at the Llenaire end was when they changed the beach. It used to be a lovely natural lead in to the sea and then one year we arrived to find a massive beach covered in stupid sun shades. We were desperate to let some woodworm loose on the sun shades. I know that ultimately it is better for tourists but it used to look much prettier.

I believe that the little shop next to Bonys has gone now which my daughter used to love. We used to go in a buy all sorts of pens, pencil cases, bags, barbie dolls, etc...

Happy days!
Old 07-07-2010, 16:13

Default missing

Greatest losses have to be "Mr Grumpy" and his alchohol emporium. What a character. Bumped into him coming out of a door beside Barclays so guess he still lives in the building. The other, Katys bar. Fernando the overworked but ever cheerful waiter and Miguel one of the chefs. Great memories of drinks on the beach and without doubt the best steak I have ever eaten in P.P. Sat outside the old place last month and wondered what will ever happen to it. Sad. S&L
Old 07-07-2010, 21:55

Restaurants etc come and go, but what I miss are the pines that blew down in the storms a few years ago.

Now the same is happening with the Palm trees and that dreaded beetle!!

My FlickR Photos
Old 07-07-2010, 22:44

I agree Gordon - the loss of all the wonderful old pines on the Pine Walk and the Sis Pins (six pines) going down to 1 after the hurricane took alot of the original character out of the place and sadly nothing has been done to reinstate it that I can see - something that we all miss - but what else?

And to put a new twist on the thread - what is new that you like and think enhances PP?

Thought of another old haunt of mine that has never really been replaced and that was Aniares - a cocktail bar in the 70's that was opposite Neptuno - with subdued lighting and sunken seatting areas and a bar with more bottles than you had ever seen in you life it was the coolest place in PP in the 70's and the hundreds of albums that the owner had meant that the music was always spot on - wasn't sure about the strange smell mixed with the tobacco smoke though
Old 07-07-2010, 23:26

Does anyone have any pictures of that.....before the pines blew down....would love to see them
Old 07-07-2010, 23:53

GG when ~ read the title before I read your post I thought MR Helados and Coach House ................. spooky hey

I also miss Caprabo , the kayak man operating from up at the military base, Bony's when it was a creparie and the beachside patio that used to belong to the ~Bahia ...... I know it was illegal and couldn't be rebuilt but I did like it there
Old 08-07-2010, 23:00

Esenet Butchers & Deli in the port and Tots when it first opened and all those who queued nightly for a table from Catherine.

Old 08-07-2010, 23:49

I miss the old Tango (already) , mid winter, inside, warm, quiet and cosy

and what a great thread !

Miriam
Old 09-07-2010, 00:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by its cd View Post
GG when ~ read the title before I read your post I thought MR Helados and Coach House ................. spooky hey

I also miss Caprabo , the kayak man operating from up at the military base, Bony's when it was a creparie and the beachside patio that used to belong to the ~Bahia ...... I know it was illegal and couldn't be rebuilt but I did like it there
Cd you just wait till you go out and see Bahia!!!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:50

I miss the little old man who used to be in the hardware shop in the square. He was lovely and hopefully retired now. Can't think how many keys he cut for us over the years! He had very little English and us very little Spanish but we communicated well. He always knew just what we wanted or needed and would suggest using a form of makaton lol. Brilliant man. Do hope he is fit and well.

welcome home Debz - hope you had a wonderful time in a wonderful place!