Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 20:53

Default Pollensa in December. Advice please?

We have been to Pollensa and Puerto several times in June and Oct, but this year we are thinking about a holiday over New Year.

As we have 2 kids we would really like to know about December, such as:

Is it generally warm enough to spend the day on the beach?
Can you swim comfortably in the sea - with short wetsuits?
Is there anywhere to stay that has a heated pool? Is it worth paying the extra for one?
Can you recommend a place to stay - aparthotel or villa in this season?

We know the area quite well but we really have no idea what the place is like off season. We would welcome any advice from holidaymakers or residents. Or should we save out money and wait for spring?
Many thanks
Elfie
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2010, 10:20

Hi Elfie, you will find that the port changes out of season from a holiday resort into a working town. There will be no hotels open, the weather can be downright cold and the place will be deserted with little restaurants open. Not the place to take two kids on holiday in December IMO.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:42

I agree Rab. Great for a couple, or group of friends to go out and "rough" it in order to see the couple of fiestas, which have HUGE amounts of coverage here, lots of children - but locals mainly. But in general I have to say, it is not for a family break. Weather not known to be warm at all either!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:34

I have to agree too, i'm afraid it may well put you off a wonderful place if you visit in December. Not a place to go to for a family break at that time of year.

Cold and 'the lights are on but no-one is home!'
Old 04-07-2010, 12:47
Super Moderator

I have just gone back on my weather reports for last December and the temperatures ranged from 1c to 25c, we had some beautiful days and some stormy days. Yes the lights were on and there was always somewhere to eat and drink, the locals don't hibernate, in fact we see more of them in winter than we do in summer.
However having said that, there is nothing here for kids to do at that time of year so i would say not a good time for a family holiday.
Old 04-07-2010, 22:15

December is one of my favourite times of year in PP. We've been treated to fabulous weather on Christmas Day these past few years but, unless you have your own place or can find an apartment or villa to rent, you will struggle to find any hotels open.

The Illa d'Or, which has the longest season in the port, usually closes in November and reopens in January.

In direct answer to your questions:-

Is it generally warm enough to spend the day on the beach? - Only if you are wrapped up in long sleves and a woolly jumper!

Can you swim comfortably in the sea - with short wetsuits? - Only if you enjoy torturing yourself!

Is there anywhere to stay that has a heated pool? Is it worth paying the extra for one? - Have a look at some of the expensive rental villas available all year from Sealand Villas and what used to be Villa Select etc.

Can you recommend a place to stay - aparthotel or villa in this season? - See above.
Old 05-07-2010, 16:34

Smile

Hi Elfie, we spent the days between Christmas and New Year there last year. The weather was amazing BUT not beach weather. Our children age 10 and 12 knew it wasnt going to be a beach holiday and they loved it. Loads of family walks, took board games etc and basically escaped the Wii and Christmas overload.

We found plenty of restaurants but tended to gravitate to the town not the port.

Our only worry was getting to and from the airport in the UK to our home, remember we had appalling weather and it was touch and go at times.

Even with flights we found it much cheaper than doing the same thing in the UK. Cottages at Christmas in the UK are very expensive and usually only available by the week. We found a great apartment for 4 nights.
Heated pools may be very expensive and hard to find but you may find a villa or apartment with a hot tub? Try Villa Parade?