Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-06-2010, 09:23

Default PP every year?

After not long returning from our fourth or fifth time to PP (one of those was just a visit when staying the whole time in Deia), I'm wondering how PP fits into the lives of you all. I don't think I've ever kept returning to the same area, apart from Watergate bay. Yet, there is something about Mallorca that I just know my last visit won't be my last.

Obviously, there are those that have invested in property and if it's in a place that you like yourself you are going to make the most of that. But those that have no financial ties to PP, do you visit every year? Can you ever imagine not going? Do you slip PP in as a home from home type holiday along with other holidays during the year?

I'm sure I've read on here before that some have gone every year for twenty odd years. I'd be worried that I would lose that feeling I have towards it, but that can't be the case for those that have done this, or you wouldn't keep going back!
Sponsored Links
Old 28-06-2010, 09:32

Been going to PP for the last 8 years, love the port always just get a warm glow soon as taxi drives along bay from Alcudia. Its not just the place but the people that make it special can't imagine not going. We went to Florida last year for our main hols, but ended up in PP for Oct half term as kids said they didn't want to miss it! The way I look at it its when you find somewhere that special why risk taking a chance on something not being as good? Try and go on mini breaks in Europe if we can but need our PP fix at least for a week.
Old 28-06-2010, 09:34

A very good question Mearsy! Since I discovered PP I can't imagine going anywhere else for my main holiday....it has everything I desire in a holiday. Every year when it comes to booking our annual 2/3 weeks I do surf all the holiday websites......"Will we go to Greece/Menorca etc etc this year?" but NO,...... ONE more time to PP then we will go elsewhere!!! Every year I come back knowing it will NOT be the last time.....can't wait for next year!!!

Old 28-06-2010, 11:01

We have been going to PP for over 20 years and have been going for our two week family holiday virtually every year, sometimes with a sneaky week at the end of the season too.
Last year we didn't go for many reasons but we are booked again for this year - off in a few weeks. I have to say that the year away has made it all the more special. Maybe you take things for granted but when circumstances stop you from going, you stop and think about all the things that you have missed.
There is so much that I am excited about this year. We are in a new apartment, new area to where we usually stay and we are looking forward to seeing old friends, meeting new ones and just relaxing and enjoying our holiday.
Old 28-06-2010, 11:15

Great post Mearsy for me I has to be PP everyyear, just to let you know how we found PP, we went to Minorca when first son was a baby, that was 20 years ago, then when son number 2 came along we decided to try Mallorca, we booked for Cala d’Or but at the last moment they cancelled it and said the only available option was two weeks at the Habitat apartments in PP, never been anywhere else since, that was 17 years ago. So after 10 years at the Habitat and then moving on to several years in the same two villas we are back on our own this year for the first time. As you say it is home now as soon as we step off the plane, each year the feeling gets stronger and leaving is harder, would never go anywhere else, why would you won’t to. Six weeks and counting

On island time!!
Old 28-06-2010, 14:49

12 years for us...first year Habitat and the following year Villa Concha...since then we have rented various appartments.always 2 weeks July but about 5 yrs ago had a 5 day break in October for our silver wedding anniversary.Needless to day that was the start ..the week in October became a regular fixture and then we added April.What can i say...this year we just had to come to see the "bonfires" - January is now booked for next year

Eating Out
Old 28-06-2010, 18:47

We first went to PP in June 1994 and have gone every year since due to school holidays have for the past 10 years gone in July/August last year it seemed to have lost a bit of sparkle for me too crowded , different type of holiday maker creeping in , too hot (had mini heatwave 42 degrees for 4 days) and we decided that this year we would give it a miss however at that point we already had a short break booked in the Sis pins just hubby and I for Oct so off we went in Oct it was fantastic !!! just like the old PP i remembered so quiet , peaceful , lovely temperatures and you could smell the pine everywhere you went , the restaurants were not too busy , market was great just heaven all round I was so happy and realised that it was just the time of year for us that was wrong so please anyone who thinks their love of PP is waning especially if you go in July/August try out of season a little it is like a different world like the old days. This year we went at beginning of June again different from Oct (busierwith lots of young families) but still great and we are going back in Sept. Anyway will continue to try other places for occasional week but have no intention of not returning now - could have cried when we left in June
Old 28-06-2010, 20:33

We have been going for the last 6 years. Previous to that hubby and I had always gone to the Greek Islands. My father-in-law suggested PP when I was pregnant with my daughter as it was only a short flying time. To be honest I remember arriving for the first time and parking up on one of the back streets around the square and thinking "where have we come to" wasn't impressed at all. It only took me about 2 days to fall in love and we have been every year since (usually twice a year if we can). I can never imagine not going, it now feels like home from home to us. We feel comfortable and relaxed from the moment we arrive.

We were out earlier this month and there was a gentleman and his wife who told us that this was there 36th year!!!!

Sue x.
Old 28-06-2010, 20:37

We have visited Mallorca for the last 20 years - first for our honeymoon in Santa Ponsa and then as a family to various resorts. We realised several years ago that whilst not actually staying in PP we spent most of our days and evenings there - driving in from Alcudia and CSV. So we started staying in PP and have found some fab apartments which we managed to visit twice last year and will be going again in September. I hope in the future to have a week in PP and a week elsewhere. As PP is so like home and we now have such holiday routines (if it's Wednesday morning I will be found in the market) which whilst make it an easy holiday they don't make it 'different' if you get what I mean! My parents are also PP fans and now my Dad is late 70's found the traveling a bit of a chore in April so I can see we may have left the terrible teenagers behind for the last 2 trips but aged parents will be joing us in the future. So to sum up I think PP gets to you and it is somewhere I will always go as I could not ever imagine not returning whenever I leave.
Old 28-06-2010, 22:23

Although not really allowed to comment in this thread as I currently own a place in the port, I have to say that if I was ever to loose that presence I would still have to return on a regular basis as it is, as many have said 'home from home' and the home that I have know for the longest in my life - you can take the home out of PP but not PP out of your heart!
Old 28-06-2010, 23:47

Been every year for the last 16 years

Have been lucky enough to go elsewhere as well each year but have found that beach holidays elsewhere always leave us wanting to be in PP ( with exception of cornwall where we are going for a week in august )

So for us it is PP each year plus city breaks elsewhere plus Cornwall ...... Tend to stay in Padstow and spend time at Constantine Bay or Watergate Bay

Choose PAdstow because prefer to let the teens loose in Padstow than Newquay
Old 29-06-2010, 00:08

We're novices at 9 years I think. The first time we visited was in the last days of August 2001, we had a cupboard of a hotel room, the gearbox in our hire car gave up on the winding roads through Deia, whilst a coach was coming in the opposite direction and could not reverse! (then waited for a pick up truck to take us to the car hire main depot in Palma). I'm sure a third thing happened, so an awful holiday but loved PP and keep going back and still love it, home from home. The good thing on that first visit, is we watched England beat Germany 5-1, it was a great atmosphere that night, and bit different to Sunday afternoon. We also love our hols in Cornwall, especially Padstow and St Ives. The main reason I log into the discussion forum is to see what's going on when we're not there so the attraction isn't waning.
Old 29-06-2010, 09:03

Though strictly speaking we do now have a property we nonetheless made PP a big part of our lives well before we decided to take the plunge and buy. First came in late April 1994 staying in a villa run by the now defunct Club Pollensa - ironically that first villa was virtually next door to the one we ended up buying. Almost immediately we became hooked - tried other countries but nowhere matched up in terms of the overall experience. Admittedly I have a husband who likes to know exactly what he is going to find when he is on holiday but I too think of PP as my home and always have done really, even before we bought. There is just something about the atmosphere - we are transformed as soon as we arrive, whatever stresses we have been going through back home. We have been going twice a year ever since that first visit - this year we are going three times. And I ALWAYS shed a tear on that road back to the airport...

Sue, I met an elderly gentleman this year who was celebrating his 90th birthday in PP and he had been going since the 1950s... he was a very urbane, well travelled man but he too had been hooked by the charm of PP!

Last edited by kate1; 29-06-2010 at 09:05. Reason: omitted something
Old 29-06-2010, 09:25

I'm really enjoying reading all the heartfelt warmth for PP. I had a gap of three years and if I'm admitting the truth, felt a bit lazy organising a birthday treat for us, so I automatically thought of Mallorca because I love it so much. Even though I've only been a handful of times I still felt that special feeling you get when you spy the island from the plane.

Everyone is allowed to post their thoughts! It doesn't matter if you've taken the plunge and bought property. I'm guessing you must have fallen in love with the place to do that, but I'm mainly interested in what brings people back if they don't have an apartment to maintain.

It seems we have a few cornwall fans too. I have to go at least once a year or it just doesn't feel right. So it's surf boards on the roof, dog in the back, flipflops aswell as wellies packed and off we go to Watergate bay for a few days of fantastic beach and food. You can't beat watching the sunset over the beach from a window seat in Fifteen.

Maybe the two have something in common in how they make us feel. For me it's stress free and I know I'm going to have a great time.
Old 29-06-2010, 09:53
Super Moderator

Our first visit was a week in October 1982, we were due to stay in the Hotel Romantic but we had a phone call 2 days before to say it was closing for the season early and we were going to go to the Pollensa Park instead. We were full board which was too much and we never did that again, but the food, hotel and staff were great.
And so began our love affair with this wonderful place, we returned every year, staying in the Polypark, Hotel Romantic which we really liked and then one year the Panorama , it was like a cross between Colditz and Fawlty Towers, looking back now we laugh about it, this was our last hotel holiday, as we then started to rent privately always in the Gotmar area and for 2 weeks twice a year.
We always felt like we were coming 'home' and used to dream that one day we would be able to move permanently .................................... well we finally did that in December 2008 and so here we are 28 years later and living the dream .