Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-06-2010, 12:21

Smile View from lookout tower...a must

Had a fabulous day yesterday on Formentor Beach...we rounded it off with a visit to the lookout tower. We have been to the usual viweing point at Formentor many times but never continued up to the tower.
The view really is spectacular - if you havenīt been up there make a trip.....its so well worth it.
Sponsored Links
Old 23-06-2010, 12:24

Just avoid peak times or public holidays as the road is impassable with traffic!
Old 23-06-2010, 12:56

I agree susiejb, the view is fantastic. In May this year we left the car at the car park on the main road and walked up.

Just below the tower, looking towards the port, you can sse a structure/bldg and a series of lights. Does anyone know what thias is for?
Old 23-06-2010, 20:41

Question

Yes we were wondering that too....
Old 23-06-2010, 20:50

Could it be the military base?
Old 23-06-2010, 21:44

here is a picture of it:

link to it on flickr:
what is it ? on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Mark
Old 23-06-2010, 22:06

It is a VOR ( whatever that is ) ....... obviously something to do with guiding aircraft ..... see below

Pollensa VOR is located on the northwest part of Mallorca also known as Cap de Formentor. For enroute use, it forms a crossingpoint for four ATS-routes: UL129, UN850, UN855 and the UW7. The VOR has a role in some standard arrival procedures to Palma de Mallorca airport (especially the ones connecting to routes from Barcelona) but is also used by ATC for quick vectoring of other inbound traffic from north or northwest to the 24L runway, if in use. To reach the site, you must be a little adventuorous. Take the PM221 road running from Port de Pollensa to Cap de Formentor itself. When you reach the viewingpoint of Mirador des Colomer you are almost there. Almost, because you will have to get uphill (POS is 1168 feet above sealevel) to actually view the beacon. East of the PM221 and connecting to the parkingspot of Mirador des Colomer is a terribly hardend sideroad (full of holes, don't go here after sunset!) which leads to the "Torre". This is an old tower standing on a hill and very close to this point is the Aena-transmitter site of POS. From the Torre you will we rewarded with a great view on both the cape, the sea and ofcourse the VOR-station

Oh is there no end to my new found knowledge ........ for anyone who is interested in what a VOR is

Very High Frequency Omni Directional Range. A ground-based electronic navigation aid transmitting very high frequency navigation signals, 360 degrees in azimuth, oriented from magnetic north. Used as the basis for navigation in the National Airspace System. The VOR periodically identifies itself by Morse Code and may have an additional voice identification feature. Voice features may be used by ATC or FSS for transmitting instructions/information to pilots

Last edited by its cd; 23-06-2010 at 22:10. Reason: geting more geeky by the minute
Old 23-06-2010, 22:18

Crikey cd, I am suitably impressed! Slow night on the tv!? Geeky by the minute maybe, but well done you!
Old 23-06-2010, 23:40

ha

Basically I googled for electricity stations; military fixtured and NASA sites and drew a blank and then wondered about aviation so I googled Air Navigation Formentor and hey presto

Next time we are over in the winter and so still sober enough to drive by the time it gets dark I'm going to drive up there on some mad pretense that i want to see what its like in the dark and then pretend to anyone mad enough to come with me that I've spotted a UFO that has just landed

Oh getting back to thread ................ the view from up there is truly amazing , sea is so blue .................... also interesting to see it when sea is calm and also when a bit choppy , both equally impressive
Old 24-06-2010, 07:28

At last ! We have been going up to Albercutx tower for years (the view impresses guests every time) and now finally know what the structure is. Thank you so much.