Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 01:07

Unhappy Something terrible has happened

Hi everyone, arrived at Palma airport this evening, as we were loading our bags into our hire car a guy with an official looking yellow jacket came over and came and said that we were at the wrong car. This distracted my husband and in a split second they had snatched our flight bag and my handbag. My husband chased them to their waiting car and grabbed the man but he dived into the car and sped off knocking my husband rolling to the ground in the process. We are now left without money,passports, mobile phones, cameras, laptops and credit cards. ipods etc.
An absolute angel of a lady at the hotel who was waiting to return home lent us a 100e. and really kind man, has lent us some money too. I cant explain how much that meant to me that they trusted me to return the money.

Please let this be a lesson to anyone collecting a car or returning it. Do not be distracted.

We would be really grateful if anyone who speaks spanish would kindly leave me a private mesage with a phone number as we may need someone to help us at the police station in Alcudia.

To be honest at the moment we feel absolutely down in the dumps, but hopefully tomorrow we shall get things sorted a bit.

Please just be warned everyone ......we didnt think it would happen to us but it did....be aware.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2010, 01:31

Susie, i'm so sorry to hear of you misfortune, as you said, we should ALL be aware nowadays, it could hapen ANYWHERE. How remarkable that the 'angel of a lady' and the' really kind man' lent you thier money. It just shows that there are SOME people out there that are decent and honest. At least you're in the best place, and I know its gonna be hard, but i hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in PP.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:08

Susie, sorry to hear about your story. I am in the UK at the moment, but my mother in law is staying at our apartment in Gotmar until Friday morning. You are welcome to go round there and use the internet and printer if you need. Also, I have a VOIP phone there so you are welcome to use that if you need to make any long calls to the UK to get sorted. Send me a PM if that helps and I will pre warn her.

I can't help with the police report, but if getting money is a problem, let me know.

Lost your passport in Mallorca | Puerto Pollensa

If you are the unfortunate position of losing your passport while you are visiting Puerto Pollensa, you will need to obtain an emergency passport from the British Consulate in Palma in order to gain access back into the UK.

At the time of writing the requirements for an emergency passport are –

2 passport sized photographs
Original airline ticket (printout of your electronic ticket)

The current cost is 79 euros and applications made outwith consulate opening hours will cost 173 euros per hour. (You will be able to reclaim this cost from your travel insurance).

Convent dels Caputxins Nº4
Edificio Orisba B
4th D
07002 Palma de Mallorca

Tel.: (00-34) 971-712445
Fax: (00-34) 971-717520

consulate.palma.mail@fco.gov.uk
The British Consul in Mallorca and Menorca is Paul Abrey.

The office hours are from 08.00 to 16.00 Monday to Friday and the Consulate is open to the public from 09.00 to 14.00.

In an emergency out of office hours you can contact our 24-hour Duty Officer by calling the British Embassy in Madrid on (00-34) 91-7008200, weekdays until 20.00hrs. After 20.00 and at weekends or fiestas call (00-34) 606-987-626.

Good luck
Old 08-06-2010, 07:38

Susie,

I am absolutely devastated to hear what has happened, I know how much you were looking forward to your holiday.....what sort of people are they, BL--DY scum! I hope with all the info and offer that The Wob has given you that things can get done to enable you to start enjoying your holiday.....I keep my fingers crossed for you. Good Luck.

Last edited by favie; 08-06-2010 at 07:55.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:57
Super Moderator

Susie i am so sorry that this has happened. Hopefully your insurance will pay up quickly and you still have a good holiday, my Spanish is not good enough to help you but i have sent you a PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:00

susie, I am so very sorry this has happened to you. I hope you were unhurt. This is just awful and seems to happen everywhere nowadays.
Such a shame the police seem unable to crack down on this sort of thing. It must happen often enough for them to monitor or place under cover bate.
Anyway, it is so good to hear that in this world there are wonderful people prepared to help and some of which are on this site! How lovely. Take comfort if you can in that and thank God you are ok. These rotters will come unstuck sometime - just can't believe they are someone's sons and daughters!! - what would their mothers say!
Try to enjoy the rest of your holiday and thank you for bringing home the reality to us all -we are al targets. Lots of love.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:16

Default A word of warning.

Really sorry to hear about your situation and hope everything is sorted out for you. Sadly, it would appear that a certain low-life element are targetting holiday makers arriving at Palma airport.

I arrived late in the evening last Sunday. Having collected our bags, we were making our way out towards the car park. As we passed through the door, we were 'hussled' by two women of eastern European appearance, one about 35 and the other about 50. The younger one tapped me on the shoulder from behind. As I turned, the other came in from the side and attempted to snatch my ruckbag (containing our passports and keys to our apartment) , which was hanging on the hook on the back of the trolley. Luckily, I turned just as she was trying to grab it.

I snatched hold of the bag and shouted a volley of 'Anglo Saxon' at her, at which point they both quickly walked away in opposite directions, disappearing into the crowd.

Pretty shaken up and thinking of the potential catastrophe should we have lost the bag, I looked around for a policeman, but none were immediately in evidence. It was late and we were all tired, including my young Daughter, so my Wife persuaded me to leave the matter and get going for Pollensa.

I will NEVER again hook anything of value on the trolley hook, or indeed anywhere that's not firmly attached to me again.

Have a great holiday everyone, but please take care.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:18

Thank you everyone for your replies, it is just so nice that there are lovely caring people like yourselves out there.
Fortunately hubby wasnt hurt although they almost ran him over in their haste to get away.
Hopefully we shall get sorted out today and put it behind us a bit and enjoy our holiday.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:29

Good for you Susie. Hope it only takes today to sort so you can enjoy the rest of your holiday. A lesson for us all here.
Have a good time and try not to think of the low life - what goes around, comes around - we hope! So pleased you are in one piece. That is what is important.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:06

That is really awful Susie - some people really are the lowest of the low. I hope that you are able to still enjoy your holiday - I know it's hard but you have to just think that insurance will cover the missing items and try and relax once you have got all the official business out of the way.

I know this doesn't help you know but a couple of years ago we read a report by a travel journalist about dos and don'ts for holidays and he suggested taking a couple of photocopies of passports - put one in your case and leave another at home with someone that you can contact then if you do have any problems with passport theft or loss, you have a copy of the important page.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:24

Susie, So, so sorry to hear of your misfortune, and thanks for having the courage to come on so soon, warning others in the process. Thankfully both of you are unhurt.

I'll be over this Thurs, just let me know if you want me to bring anything over, even if it's just a packet of your favourite tea-bags to calm your nerves.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:35

Susie I'd just like to send my best wishes to you and your husband. This is just terrible but as Eleanor says, thankfully you are both in one piece. I really hope you get things sorted out very quickly and are able to enjoy the rest of your trip. Thanks for taking the time to warn us all.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:42

We had wallets, Eur 500, credit cards etc all taken last year...

The police at Alcudia (station near bull ring outside Old Town) speak pretty good English and even helped us fill out the form for insurance purposes...they were really nice and the process was quick too.

I hope you managed to cancel your cards in time (they'd tried to use ours, but the Chip and PIN system stopped them).

My advice is:
1 cancel the cards
2 report to police and insurance company
2 sort out the passport replacement
3 arrange for emergency cash (urgent card delivery to apartment?)
(if you have online access to your accounts you can transfer cash quick)
4 go and have a LARGE drink!

I really hope you can then make the most of your holiday... although it is clearly hard to get it out your mind at first These days this can happen down the local Tesco and local Mallorquins are even more horrified by such incidents than we are...)

Good luck!
x
SK
Old 08-06-2010, 11:14

Susie so sorry to hear about your awful experience but thankful no one was hurt in the scuffle. Hopefully you will get it all sorted out today and put it behind you. PP and its wonderful soothing properties will soon make the memory fade I'm sure. A lesson to us all to be on our guard!

Are you staying in Pinaret again? I'm out next week if you'd like to meet up for a coffee (or something stronger)

Debs
Old 08-06-2010, 11:22

Default robbery

Hi Susie, we are in the Marina Appts in P.P. till end of month. Anything we can do just come over. Have laptop and wi fi at your disposal if you need it and a glass of somthing to help sooth the trauma. Thank goodness you were not hurt. Slipalong & Lola.