Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-11-2010, 18:44
Banned

Default Smoking Ban

You're right about damned cigarette smoke Alcanada. It's the one thing for me that spoils the bars and restaurants in PP (and anywhere else that allows smoking for that matter).

I'm pretty sure there's going to be another vote on banning smoking this January but don't hold your breath (pardon the pun!) 'cos even if it gets passed knowing the Spanish most of them will simply ignore it anyway!

My understanding at the moment is that it's down to the individual bar/restaurant as to whether they allow smoking?

I don't understand fags atall...........why would you want to go out all showered and nicely clothed for a nice evening out then come home stinking of fag smoke and inhaling someone else's disgusting smoke !!!

(No doubt this will put a "cat amongst the pigeons"!!.)

I am very anti-smoking in public places as you can probably sense. If you want to smoke and get any related illness then fine, just don't do it over others!!

Oh, and by the way, I've never smoked.
Sponsored Links
Old 16-11-2010, 19:19
Founder

The 'smoking ban' has been covered several times on this forum but if you do want to discuss it again, please raise a separate thread. Let's keep this one on the excellent Hustlers! Thanks.
Old 16-11-2010, 19:21

Though this is going off thread, the smoking ban inside all bars, restaurants etc will be introduced on 2 January. There is a campaign by bars to stop the ban or to at least delay it, but there is no suggestion as to another vote. The national ban was agreed to by all the regions, including the Balearics.
Old 16-11-2010, 19:24
Founder

As you'll see I have now moved these posts away from the Hustlers one - just in case you were all confused!
Old 18-11-2010, 16:16
Banned

Excellent news !!!!!
Old 20-11-2010, 20:23

I agree with Nick, totally aginst it but will be surprised if it's policed effectively in the villages(PP included) Legally,the ban is definitely coming into force though
Old 23-11-2010, 12:42
Banned

Good news that at least the ban is coming into force....thanks for that update.

I frequent Nostalgia in the main and as it's English owned (yes I know Michaela is German!) and they run the bar well hopefully it will be smoke free in there......at least the British clientelle will be familiar with smoking outside and it's hardly a chore in such a nice climate surely......is it ???!!!
Old 23-11-2010, 13:30

Looking forward to the ban

We will visit more restaraunts when they are smoke free.
At the moment there are only a few non smoking restaruants which can get boring after a few visits on the same holiday.

I hope it is enforced this time, if not I am sure we will hear about it on here
Old 23-11-2010, 13:42

Yes, very good news - it can spoil a meal, and even if it doesn't, my ex-smoker husband makes such a fuss about it, ostentatiously waving smoke away etc, that we are all usually glad to leave in any case. This year we noticed fewer people smoking inside, so maybe people have been preparing themselves for the ban in advance - or maybe we just got lucky...
Old 23-11-2010, 22:09
Under Moderation

I agree too. I hate smoke especially when I'm eating and people are smoking around me. I'm very pleased that it is antisocial and a ban is coming in soon. I hope it is upheld by everyone. There is plenty of space outside for the smokers!
Old 25-11-2010, 18:48

I am an ex smoker so appreciate both sides. Definately inside smoking should be banned but just everyone smokes including the bar staff and owners ( and not just smoke the occasional one). Its going to be interesting to see what happens.. However what about the summer when we are eating outside!!! All the smokers are going to be there making it nearly just as bad and we non smokers will be forced inside.
Old 25-11-2010, 19:31

LOL Grandad - smoke ash soup comes to mind!

seriously, i'm a non smoker but understand freedom of choice. I do think it goes further than freedom of choice though. It is about respect for others whether smokers or non smokers. I would hope if someone is eating indoors or out then those who wish to smoke would not light up near to someone eating.

There really isn't very much to discuss here though as the law is the law. Thats it!
Old 02-12-2010, 23:01

Its almost as bad as diners with revolting eating habits, ie talking and eating at the same time ugh! Also eating the american way with just a fork, then struggle to cut up their food!
Old 01-01-2011, 00:43

Wink Smoking Ban

I can't wait till the smoking ban becomes law in Mallorca. Ireland were the first t ointroduce a smoking ban in Europe. There were protests etc, claims
bars & restauants would close down etc. It just didn't happen.More people vist bars now because it is much more pleasant to be in a smoke free environment. Most bars provide ougtdoor smoking area for those who must smoke. Everyone is happy.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:43

On a recent incoming Ryan Air flight my daughter said they mentioned the ban coming into force this week.