Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-01-2010, 23:48

Default Be Honest

We hear about everybody wanting to be over in PP, but if you are honest and you could afford it, would you move there. Remember there is a winter, rain and everything is quiet, it aint all sunshine. Would you miss the kids, grandkids and my big problem my dogs, who are too old to re-locate. So my question is if you could, would you? I honestly dont know!! Gpm
Sponsored Links
Old 30-01-2010, 00:02

GPM I would go tomorrow, well not tomorrow, wifes got to go to work, but after that yes, kids would come with us, no grandkids yet, cat would as well, so short answer yes undoubtedly

On island time!!
Old 30-01-2010, 00:57

would certainly spend long periods of time there but probably not completely sell up and leave ourselves without a uk home to return to
Old 30-01-2010, 01:04

A definate NO! Love the place but would not like to live there permantly, would rather keep it as a haven to escape to, somewhere special, which it is. Winters nice for a week or so, but the thought of spending a whole winter there does not appeal to me. Could never call it home, home is were your friends and family are.
Old 30-01-2010, 08:39

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpm View Post
We hear about everybody wanting to be over in PP, but if you are honest and you could afford it, would you move there. Remember there is a winter, rain and everything is quiet, it aint all sunshine. Would you miss the kids, grandkids and my big problem my dogs, who are too old to re-locate. So my question is if you could, would you? I honestly dont know!! Gpm
No - I would never 'sell up' to live abroad, PP or anywhere else but what I would love though (finances ever permitting) would be a 'home from home' in PP that I could visit whenver I wanted - and I would love to be there in the winter when it is quiet and even raining! Even without family committments (very elderly mother requiring my daily attendence) I'd always want a base in UK. When we over there we feel really at home though so it is always a temptation!
Old 30-01-2010, 11:14

We love PP but would never live there, we enjoy our life here to much with our friends and family.

PP76
Old 30-01-2010, 14:06

Can't wait to retire and spend longer there, bringing friends and family out to stay, but no, would not relocate for good, same reason - family mainly.
Old 30-01-2010, 17:07

Well - we owned an apartment for about 15 years and bought our lovely villa about 6 years ago with the idea of spending much more time in PP and eventually moving permanently. It has not worked out for us really for personal reasons rather than anything to do with PP. The kids grew up and didn't want to move - then went on to have children themselves so a real pull for us to leave our grandchildren. Own parents became much more dependant on us especially as husbands are in America. AND now to top it all we have decided to go our own separate ways which means we will sell the villa - which was very much not on the agenda even this time last year!

I think we did the right thing in selling the apartment and purchasing the villa. We did get to spend much more time in PP in all seasons which was lovely. We had the best of all worlds. Problem is there are so many outside influences that can affect a decision which do not necessarily have anything to do with where you live. PP is only a 2 hour flight from most UK airports - It can take that long for me to travel from Essex to the other side of London. It is perhaps the mental separation which makes a permanent move difficult - the fact that it is ' another country!'

If we had moved permanently, I think we would have bought a little apartment in the UK - just in case!
Old 30-01-2010, 17:43

I'm with the majority a definite no! Absolutely love our little apartment that we can escape to on a whim, but would never sell our propery in the UK and live in PP permanently. The winters can be long and very cold, and the place is a bit like a ghost town...although having said that I love going for a week or so at that time of year and wearing boots and jumpers!!! I remember the first time it felt so strange wearing so many clothes

And you can't beat sitting in a El Temple with a delicious stew, a glass of red wine and a roaring log fire.

Bliss.....for a few days
Old 30-01-2010, 17:51

An advantage of PP out of season is that it is quiet and gives the opportunity of living like a local. I have spent many weeks in PP during the winter over the years and it does grow on you greatly.
I remember after the first year I swore I would never return in the winter but over the years I really did get to look forward to out of season visits.
Yes it is winter but the weather can also be very nice although evenings can be damp and cold.

Especially now we have the new motorway, PP is never cut off from the outside World. 1 Hour max and you are in central Palma with all the wonderful city has to offer. A little less and you can be in all year round places like Santa Ponsa etc.

If I was to move to Mallorca, it would have to be PP. ( Good railway line would be good!)

Last edited by eleanor; 30-01-2010 at 17:53.
Old 30-01-2010, 20:04
Banned

I would move out there to live tomorow..................but I'd still keep a property in this country.

I'm fortunate enough, well, worked hard for it, to own an apartment so can return as often and when I like.

The island is just so fantastic and diverse.....................................and warmer than here !!!
Old 30-01-2010, 21:19

No way, I love to go to PP and love to come home again, after a week of relaxing and eating out it's good to get back into a working routine again. Most years we are lucky enough to get 2 visits to PP and would be happy to make that 3.
Old 31-01-2010, 11:22

Theres no place like HOME
Old 31-01-2010, 12:27

I have another take on "there's nowhere like home" in that our apartment in PP, which my father bought in the early 70's and is now mine, is the home that I have known the longest in my life despite residing in the UK.

Would I live in PP? You bet! But I certainly would not sell up in the UK. I have seen too many people do this and then because of the increase in property values in the UK they cannot afford to return.

Would I go tomorrow? Not sure - if I didn't have a fledgling business to look after, quite possibly, but what would I do for work?

Probably the answer is...in a few years time.

GG
Old 31-01-2010, 13:17

As one who has done it,thought I'd add my thoughts. Yes we had to think hard about leaving our girls and three grandchildren but they were so supportive we made the move and are now in our third winter. We see more of our family than if we were in the UK, no snatched cups of coffee on the way to and from the supermarket ,we now get a whole weekend or longer of quality time. With webcams and skype no need to be miss them and they love to here about all the local events. So if you have a dream,then go for it,we don't have a property in the UK to return to but we always have somewhere to stay when we return.