Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 22:04

Question A very sad looking Pine walk!

I hope that what I am seeing, is a combination of recent weather, time of year (?) the euro, hey...donald duck even.... but I was really sadden to see the state of the Pine Walk yesterday. Property falling down, in serious need of a lick of paint ( how hard is that ?) Palm trees - obviously infected and dead or dying, very dirty, smelly beach and of course the nae beds or brumbles. I always admired the amount of out of season work done on propeties, getting ready for the season, but it just wasn't happening. Katys resembles a mini war zone !( tho the 2 floors above were in very good order ?)

Another thing I was aware of, some of the long established restaurants appear to have had very serious make-overs... and lost is the charm and traditional ... instead there is now minimalist, glass and stainless steel and it must be the aircon creating the atmosphere vacuum. New restaurants likewise seem very clinical with menus seeming quite upmarket.. tho not that much more expensive. The family resort feel seems to be missing, the buildings that gave PP a soft, friendly feel are disappearing or being left to rot.

I'm not sure where Im taking myself here... cos it appears I am saying damn if the do, damned if they don't !. But it has a feel of ... run down and dowdy... so just bulldoze it and erect sterile hard lines. Yet, look to Pollenca or Alcudia, they are managing to preserve the facades and blend old with new with taste. Is it not the very essence of visiting another country, to savour the differences, in architecture, cuisine, customs and traditions? If they are lost... it is just another faceless costa resort.

I have got my fingers crossed that when I am back at the end of this month that PP will be a bit more on track and maybe even have a sunbed or two

Miriam
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2010, 23:12

Unhappy

Hi Miriam,

That sounds scary ............ I so hope that by June things are looking up and we can enjoy the Puerto Pollenca that we love so much.

The resort cannot afford to lose its 'regulars' in the present economic climate.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:20

The great appeal of Puerto Pollensa is its traditional charm. If this is lost, it will be very sad.What on earth are the local authorities playing at?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:12

I am not sure we need to worry too much just yet

I was last over at easter and I didn't think the pinewalk looked much different to the way it always looks out of season .............. sand blown up due to some recent storms, beaches in their natural state ( which I have to say I quite like .... for the winter months ) and one or two places having some work done on them so resembling a building site

There are a few notable exceptions ............. the area around Katy's was a mess because of the building work above Katy's the deriliction of the ground floor and the added complication of some pipe laying just outside which meant the cobbles ( are they cobbles ? ) were all up in places .............. Little Italy must be so annoyed about it .

The other area that was a bit unsightly was towards the Illa D'Or where a couple fo pines had blown down in a storm and cracked the pavement ............ but again this was being fixed

And to finish ........... there is the Palm Tree problem

However ........... each year there is always somethign ......... remember the year 3 big pines were damaged outside the Sis Pins; remember a couple of years ago when the whole pedestrian area was dug up to lay new utility pipes .......... and Mestral was being rebuilt out of season PP looked like a building site ........... but all was ok in time.

So personally, I am not too concerned about the seasonal / weather related issues but I do understand the concerns about "progress" ........... but surely progress will always happen and we just have to hope it will be tasteful and in keeping with the surroundings. Take the Daina ...... when that was first made over into the "Glass and Chrome" I hated it but over time I think it has grown on me and I think it gives the impression of being a nice, tasteful good quality establishment.

I would far rather see a glass fronted, modern Majorcan run restaurant ( take C'an Josep or Maxims for example ......... look good, food good and very reasonably priced ) than somewhere that fills the frontage with tacky boards advertising their menus ( simbads and the awful looking place in the square next door to Maxims )
Old 09-05-2010, 10:19

I'm intrigued as to what I'm going to find now. It will have been three years since I walked the Pine walk and ambled those streets. I loved the relaxed feel and pretty views and it felt just right for the kind of holiday I was looking for.

Sometimes places can be a victim of their own success. I've found this with certain places in Cornwall, and it just doesn't fit with the easy, relaxed lifestyle. I guess things will change and move on, not always the way we feel they should. Traditional aspects of other places outside of the UK should be an attraction and be looked after. If all I wanted was a beach, I'm surrounded by them! (and some quite beautiful), I wouldn't bother going anywhere!

I can't wait to see for my own eyes what is new and what is remaining of this favourite place of mine.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:16

Mearsy ........... I really wouldn't worry

Yes there are things that need fixing BUT the overall feel of the place is no different ... that breathtaking view as you first glimpse the sea ( for us it is after we dump our bags and wander over to the Illa D'Or for a coffee ) will still take your breath away

I think we sometimes need ot be careful that in our desire to ensure our favourite place doesn;t get ruined , we don;t get too nitpicky and paint a bleak picture

Its still the place where I feel the best ......... and for me that speaks volumes
Old 09-05-2010, 12:14

So true
Old 09-05-2010, 16:31

Just back home after two weeks in PP. Had a lovely time but was amazed at how quiet it was. The storm didnt help much either. Thought it was looking a little bit tired in places , but maybe it was just not looking the best in the rain. Back again in September so we'll hopefully see a difference then.
Old 09-05-2010, 17:22

Some people may remember the "Trouble in Paradise" headlines in the Daily Bulletin some years ago and the bad publicity that followed, but as CD says they seem to get it right eventually. Nowhere will escape the ravages of recession and PP is no different! I just hope it strives to retain it's laid-back local charm and resists any pressure to turn it into a home from home from the UK.
Old 22-05-2010, 19:23

Hi All,

A bitworried about the comment re building work above Katys.

We're arriving on Tuesday and have apartment Pescador40 booked for two weeks, it's on the 2nd floor above Katys....

Any thoughts/update?
Old 23-05-2010, 01:37

Default Work above Katy's

I think that it all depends on whether your apartment is above Katy's apartment in Edificio Katy or above Katy's Bar/Restaurant.

The apartments that Katy owned have now been handed over to the people who inherited them. I had a look round most of them last week (courtesy of the new owners of 3 of them) and they were either finished or almost finished. The least finished were the ones above Katy's Restaurant/Bar.

If you are staying in 40 Calle Pescador aka Edificio Katy you should be absolutely fine.
Old 23-05-2010, 08:26

Default work above Katys

Hi Lorenzo,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure to be honest.
The address is Calle Pescador 40 but the agents (Bellamar) did say that the
apartments are above what used to be Katys.

I think that we've actually stayed in them a few years ago.
Here's a link to where they are:
Detalle inmueble

You can see from one of the pics where on the pinewalk it is.
Is it really a building site around there?

Cheers
Frank
Old 23-05-2010, 11:16

Default Apartment on Pine Walk

Hi Frank - will send you a private message. Mary
Old 19-01-2012, 17:43

The pine walk looks even sadder now, the lovely 19th mansion at the start that has been mentioned before has been gutted and undergoing major work, its the one with the wonderful palms around it and the high wall, it was a stunning original building but not anymore, anyone know what the are doing to it? have taken pictures and will post later, it looks very sad indead.

On island time!!

Last edited by sws97sdg; 19-01-2012 at 18:30. Reason: Picture added