Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17-05-2010, 15:24
Under Moderation

Question Concerned

I know there was a problem a few years back with people coming up to you and trying to sell you flowers etc my friend actually had money taken, is this still an ongoing problem or has it been sorted, I know in any holiday environment you can get complacent and not be vigilant enough but PP is such a lovely place and I would not want this to spoil a holiday.

Am visting next month and introducing the delights of PP to my sister and neice for the first time.

Any comments would be welcome.

Aunty Bee
Sponsored Links
Old 17-05-2010, 17:19

Have to say in my 15-odd years of coming to PP we have never had people hassling us in the street - there are the guys selling pirated DVDs around the Square but they tend to keep their distance. There seems to be less of them than in the past. I don't think I have ever seen anyone trying to sell flowers but then I must admit I have not been in the absolute height of the season. Perhaps if there are less tourists and we all have less dosh about our persons the criminals might go elsewhere...
Old 17-05-2010, 17:25

Have to agree with Kate.
What Aunty Bee describes we have witnessed many times in other places on the island especially the Santa Ponsa, Paguera and Palma Nova areas.
Thankfully I have never seen this in Pollensa.
Old 17-05-2010, 18:57

Default Concerned

I do remember this flower selling thing one year, I was approached in the road towards the Pollensa Park. I think this was probably about 7 years ago though and have never come across it again. Don't think you need to worry about it.
Old 17-05-2010, 19:00
Super Moderator

Aunty Bee, i think you are referring to the people who used to claim to be deaf and dumb" they would drop a card on your table". They were trying to sell flowers or little trinkets, i would always ignore them as i had been warned by a bar owner that they were bogus. In fact they were mostly Romanians who would chat away merrily as they shared out their spoils, i witnessed a few of them getting kicked out of a few places by irate owners who didn't want their customers being hassled.
Thankfully they seem to have got the message as i have not seen this now for a few years.
Old 17-05-2010, 19:14
Banned

We certainly don't need **** like this in PP.
I just glare at these ***-****s and they normally clear off.

Re the people that sell the fake DVD's, sunglasses and other such rubbish it infuriates me to see people buying from them. Particularly ignorant Brits. These sales go to sponsor the drugs trade and organised serious crime.

DO NOT BUY FROM THEM !!!!

Last edited by Sparky; 19-05-2010 at 15:56. Reason: Removed words that offensive.
Old 17-05-2010, 19:17

I think you've already answered your own question Aunty Bee.Sadly no matter where you are these days it pays to remain vigilant and not get complacent.

Enjoy your holiday - I'm sure your sister will like PP
Old 17-05-2010, 21:46

Default flower girls

Happened to us two years ago in Palma. Couple of girls walking around with some flowers and telling you that they want to give you a flower as a present.

After initially refusing to take a flower, they kind of force one on you and look for money. Then they get quite annoyed and slightly aggressive if you're not willing to handover some money.

There is no place for it in Palma nor in PP.
Old 17-05-2010, 22:57

Default flower selliers

I had experience of this in Santa Ponsa, went for the day, never again!! but have never come across this in PP and have been coming for yonks....as for the DVD guys I think they much better than in years past....they just hover around and dont really bother you.....just politely say no thank you and they WILL go away....hope you have a lovely time in PP you should do.
Old 17-05-2010, 23:57

Never come across this in PP but have seen them in Alcudia old town ............ so if you venture there ( and you should because it is really nice ) just be on your guard

Oh and don;t worry they are not aggresive and if you just say no thanks they will not come close or bother you
Old 18-05-2010, 01:58

I must admit, i have never seen any trouble with the 'sellers'. The DVD ones go away as soon as you say 'No', and the watch ones are really funny, in fact my kids loved them, and the sellers even had nicknames for one my kids, they used to call him nugget all the time.
Old 18-05-2010, 11:00

Remember seeing one "wide-boy" parting with 40 euros for one of these 10 min guarantee watches, seemed quite chuffed with himself. The vendor bolted quicker than Mr Bolt himselfl
Old 18-05-2010, 11:10
Super Moderator

Yes, i am afraid some people leave their brains at home when they go on holiday.
You can't really blame the "Lucky Lucky" guys if people are daft enough to part with their money for a piece of cheap tat.
Old 18-05-2010, 14:33

Sparky - the deaf and dumb guy always makes us smile for the wrong reasons. The last time we were in PP was in 2008 everywhere we went, we seem to see the guy who leaves cards with sign language on them all over the restaurant before coming back round to collect money or the cards back. We never bought anything and eventually he got the message. However, a few months later in October 2008 we went to Barcelona. We were sat having a beer in Place Del Pi and watching the world go by when the same guy approached the bar and started placing cards on all the tables. My husband and I just looked at each other and then cracked up laughing. I think that everyone around us thought that we were mad!
Old 18-05-2010, 15:31
Super Moderator

Brilliant Cocoa, we now know most of the "Lucky Lucky" guys and we have a bit of a laugh with them even though they know we are not going to buy anything. However the so called "deaf and dumb" guys are more odious because they are playing on peoples compassion and that is, frankly despicable.

Last edited by Sparky; 18-05-2010 at 20:15. Reason: Typo