Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 17:38

Default Time to waste (with luggage!) before access to apartment

We're flying in early (around 09.00) and can't gain access to our apartment in the Siller area until mid afternoon. We'll have a hire car, but obviously will still have our luggage with us at this time.

I've been contemplating how to spend this time and have lots of ideas like an early lunch or beach, etc. But can't get the nagging feeling out of my head that our luggage will be in the car. I'm a little bit of a worry head, so have been thinking how I could feel better. Are there any nice areas or restaurants that I can leave the car within sight? Or Is the Siller area safe enough to just leave the car?

There is allocated parking at the apartment, but after perusing the forum I have been alerted to perhaps a higher need for vigilance and common sense regarding keeping things safe, when I compare to previous visits to the port.

Hmm
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2010, 17:46

If you want breakfast when you arrive you could always delay picking up your car as the bast bacon sandwiches in Mallorca are served in the restaurant by the arrivals area (ground floor by the fountain) ... a stop on the way for a coffee (off the motorway) there are plenty of restaurants where you can keep an eye on the car. Lunch at Stay - park by the little lighthouse will allow you to keep an eye on the car. I would suggest the car and contents should be safe but in similar circumstances I lost the car and contents

Last edited by Sun Properties; 10-02-2010 at 17:49.
Old 10-02-2010, 17:51

Hi mearsy, we always park on the sea front and set up camp 10m from the car, then you can sunbathe and keep an eye on the car at the same time, I think some of the hire shops have luggage facilities as well as showers for changing on the last day, hope this helps

On island time!!
Old 10-02-2010, 18:05

You don't say when you are visiting? If it is high season my suggestion may not work. The reason I ask is that when we rent out our villa we try to accommodate both the leavers and the new visitors as best we can. I wonder if you could perhaps have a word with the owners to ask if there is any chance you might gain entry early. The problem is the cleaners have lots of properties to clean usually, before the new arrivals. The usual is to vacate by 10 am and take over after 4pm. Our cleaner is very good in as much as she will arrange to clean our villa first to allow early access if necessary. Also if you ask the question, there may be somewhere you can leave your luggage in or near the apartment. If all this fails then I would agree with the suggestions as above. The only problem you may have with going to Stay restaurant is although there is parking nearby it is very limited and you would have to be very lucky to find a place within eyeshot.
Old 10-02-2010, 18:27

We're going mid May. The apartment is run by Villa Parade, so I may ring them and see if we can negotiate something. It will be three years since my last visit so memories are hazy regarding parking etc, but I do like the idea of trying to park near Stay. I'd already planned to do lunch rather than dinner there.

If I can negotiate an earlier time, I can also waste time doing a shop at Alcudia in the big supermarket there. I love taking care of all the little details like this. It makes it all very real.

Thankyou for all the suggestions so far.
Old 10-02-2010, 18:56

If you book a meal at Stay (by email) they will save you a parking spot by the planters if you explain the reasons why.
Old 10-02-2010, 19:08
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Properties View Post
If you book a meal at Stay (by email) they will save you a parking spot by the planters if you explain the reasons why.
That's a good idea. Their details are here www.puertopollensa.com/restaurants_bars_cafes.html#stay & you can even start choosing what you want to eat. Even better when you are waiting to see what they'll be serving on the Set Menu!
Old 10-02-2010, 19:58

Excellentay!

I'm thinking...land 09.30 ish. Luggage and car hire sorted and swift change in airport loos as usual by 10.15. On the road to PP and check out the location of the apartment before heading off to Stay in perfect time for lunch.
Old 10-02-2010, 20:04

Found the link to the local shop and hire shops that do luggage storage.

Local shops

On island time!!
Old 10-02-2010, 20:43

Just a word of warning re Al Campo - we were out in January for a long weekend - when we flew back we recognised a couple checking in who had flown out with us. They had their hire car broken into on the supermarket car park on the day they arrived (Thursday) and their cases/coats etc stolen. They had spent the whole weekend buying new clothes/cases etc to fly back on the Tuesday. The Guardia suggested they must have been followed from the airport.
Old 10-02-2010, 21:17

I actually believe that there are gangs who operate in the car park. On the way to our car having been shopping, We were approached by a person with a map asking us to show him the route to Alcudia. Whilst my husband was pointing to the map 2 others ran up to the side of us and grabbed my handbag. A car then wizzed around and all 3 jumped in and off they went.
I have heard a few similar stories so do be aware. For the record these people were not locals! It caused us much distress and also inconvenience as our passports and driving licenses were in my bag along with all our cards and money etc. Ended up having to go to the Embassy. They had attempted to use the cards in the short time it took to report the theft.
This happens in many places nowadays - certainly not just Mallorca so anyone reading this please do not be put off visiting a beautiful island. Just make sure you take care and not be taken in by these few horrid people.
Old 10-02-2010, 21:33

Exactly the same happened to us in the old Syp car park in 1996. Within 1 hour they had spent 500 on a credit card in addition to the cash they got away with. No passports thankfully.
Old 10-02-2010, 21:37

Jeez, thanks for the warnings. That sounds awful. I was thinking of using Mercadona, but I guess it's much of a muchness really. I think I might sit in the car with the windows done up, doors locked and refuse to get out until I can gain access to the apartment at 3pm

I was well warned before going to Barcelona, but nothing bad happened there, so I will engage common sense as always (and appear neurotic to husband, who is in the Gene Hunt brigade and so should really know better than to keep his wallet in his back pocket ).

Forwarned is forarmed or something like that.
Old 10-02-2010, 21:50

have left loaded car at Al Campo before to do big cheap shop...maybe not this year

also don't forget to take copies of passport pages before travelling, take some with you in separate bag, & also save them online for retrieval from embassy / internet cafe etc just in case the worst happens

when travelling with windsurf kit, etc, we also take pictures of all bags before leaving, it's much easier to produce a print at Palma airport showing them what to look for - was really worthwhile when BA - remember them - lost my windsurf board a few years ago.

I think the criminal element are more noticeable everywhere these days, not just mallorca, so be careful out there

Last edited by pollensa; 10-02-2010 at 22:55. Reason: offensive terms removed
Old 10-02-2010, 22:19

As has been said this happens all over the world in this day and age .... we parked at Al Campo last year and the (Spanish registered) car we parked next to had its door slightly ajar. Just being curious I looked inside and there were 4 passports on the dashboard (!!!!!) .... all deep red UK passports ... as the door wasn't shut properly I know for a fact the alarm was not working ... what do you do? .... sit there for an hour/look after the passports/call the Guardia??? People on holiday (like me) relax ... hopefully I don't relax that much but you never know! I have met one gentleman in PP on holiday with his family (his wife booked every holiday) who did not realise Mallorca was an island!

Last edited by Sun Properties; 10-02-2010 at 22:21. Reason: Spelling - getting a bit sick of this!