Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > GENERAL > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Use this area ONLY if you can't find a suitable home for your topic. We'll create a new area if necessary and reserve the right to move topics to more suitable areas. Only post regarding the Pollensa area. This is not a forum for general discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 20:44

Default Pollensa or puerto Pollensa

Following on from some comments about restaurants in the town not being included in the PP top 3 restaurants poll I wanted to ask a serous question about why people consider the two places not to be the same resort. We have been going for years now and spend time in both places, we consider them to be the same place albeit separated by the short drive. People who live in the town both work in the town and the port and the other way around, why do we seem to separate them. The fiestas etc are attended by people who live in the town or port. The people of Pollensa retreated in land to avoid the marauding pirates of the Mediterranean, like a lot of places around the med, leaving the port for the fishermen. So its only for that reason there is a separate town to the port. What do you think?

On island time!!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2010, 21:14

Town in the winter, Port in the summer - simple as that!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:17

SWS

I do not consider them the same. I would class PP as a resort and Pollensa as a town. PP could not survive as it is without the tourists, whereas I don't think much would change in Pollensa.

Adios

Dave
Old 08-02-2010, 09:15

The nice thing about the two places is the contrast between them. It's lovely to go into Pollensa on non-market days (not that it isn't nice on market days) and just stroll around and chill outside a cafe, and wander the narrow streets. Totally different feel to the port, although both are pleasantly relaxed. I wonder how many people go to PP without actually visiting Pollenca town? Unthinkable in my book but quite a lot, I reckon.

Definitely not one place in my opinion. There is a large space between them. As there is between my ears.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:57

Oh Paul, you hit a nerve there! I hold my hands up to being a family many years ago who visited both Alcudia and PP and also drove for miles to visit other places, but NEVER ventured into Pollensa itself! This I think was due to the fact that at that time we always went in the school holidays with the children and towns were just too hot and crowded to drag them around in, so we concentrated on the coastal areas and countryside.
What a gem we found though when later on we became "daring" enough to explore! Although some people will still say I have no idea which is which, but thats another story! LOL!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:53
Super Moderator

As a tourist i always thought of them as two separate places, now as a resident i still feel that way and the locals that i know feel the same way.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
The nice thing about the two places is the contrast between them. It's lovely to go into Pollensa on non-market days (not that it isn't nice on market days) and just stroll around and chill outside a cafe, and wander the narrow streets. Totally different feel to the port, although both are pleasantly relaxed. I wonder how many people go to PP without actually visiting Pollenca town? Unthinkable in my book but quite a lot, I reckon.

Definitely not one place in my opinion. There is a large space between them. As there is between my ears.
Paul, I've known holidaymakers who've never been to the Pine Walk I've known some who have stayed in the PP Hotel and never reached the roundabout.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:04

Two very different places, each with its own ambience, and the fact that you get this "two for the price of one" is the greatest appeal of the whole area for me.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
Paul, I've known holidaymakers who've never been to the Pine Walk I've known some who have stayed in the PP Hotel and never reached the roundabout.
Until I found the PP forum, I had no idea the square existed!

I agree with Alcanada - Pollensa and Puerto Pollensa are two very separate places each with their own appeal. On holiday we usually alternate between the two.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:17

I would agree with Sparky. As a part time PP resident there is a noticeable degree of resentment from PP based locals to the local Ajuntamnet's fixation on spending vast sums of taxpayers' money on the old town (with its larger all year permanent population) to the detriment of PP where the roads and pavements are crumbling and dirty etc. The refurbishment of the council offices at the Steps is a case in point but perhaps a discussion on this merits a separate thread!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:26

Quote:

I agree that the two places have a completely different feel and ambience, and we probably spend more evenings in Pollenca than the port. We also know people who have never ventured into the town,even property owners who spend a lot of time in Mallorca, which I find really strange. I suppose it's each to their own!

(Paul your last sentence really made me chuckle....we could do with a bit of humour on here )
Old 08-02-2010, 13:40

people in the town refer to PP as the Moll (the port) in a way that implies they think it is 'their'port. They are distinctly different but all locals from both places consider themselves 'Pollencins' Finally, who cares ,they're both great places in their own right
Old 08-02-2010, 13:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
there is a noticeable degree of resentment from PP based locals to the local Ajuntamnet's fixation on spending vast sums of taxpayers' money on the old town (with its larger all year permanent population) to the detriment of PP where the roads and pavements are crumbling and dirty etc. The refurbishment of the council offices at the Steps is a case in point but perhaps a discussion on this merits a separate thread!
That is really interesting James, it didnt cross my mind that the local council would differentiate between the two areas, being so closely linked. But I suppose if you start that, then do you carry on with Alcudia etc. The line has to be drawn somewhere as usual. Is there a split council for tourism money and residential spend I wonder. Even that would get confusing. As you say; Probably best for a separate thread.
Old 08-02-2010, 13:53

Its a bit like is it marg or butter can't taste the differance - Oh yes you can.
That applies to Pollensa and Pt Pollensa
Old 08-02-2010, 14:40

Thanks for your replies guys, don’t forget this wasn’t about which is best it is about, its why some people consider them to be separate, after all Port de Pollensa is just the port of the town Pollensa, interesting some locals feel it is two different places, I shall have to ask around this year and see what others feel, I often see Jose in the town, especially at fiesta time. As to which is best, if you think they are separate resorts, is of cause down to personal choice.

On island time!!