Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Miscellaneous (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/)
-   -   Be Honest (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/miscellaneous/5603-honest.html)

Chemical Dave 31-01-2010 15:12

Like most people the answer has to be no - for much the same reasons. I would like to spend more time in PP, but not permanently.

I also wonder how would I fill my day?. I could not live the holiday lifestyle in the long term. I would need something purposeful to do. I would also miss social and cultural activities and think it would be diffucult to integrate with the locals in PP.

If I was to consider moving seriously I would probably look at Palma - PP would then only be a short drive away!

Adios

Dave

Sparky 31-01-2010 15:17

Believe me Dave it is very easy to integrate with the locals. :D

Rab 31-01-2010 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 39168)
Believe me Dave it is very easy to integrate with the locals. :D

Sparky, tell me to naff off if the question is too personal but what was your reason for moving to PP? Is it going as you expected? Do you speak the lingo? Can you see yourself there till you pop yir clogs lol!!

I couldnt possibly move out to PP on a full-time basis. I would end up bored and boozing too much with similar ex-pats. IMO anybody not retired moving out would need to get a job within a Spanish speaking enviroment, send their kids to local schooling and try to remember that you are not on holiday.

Sparky 31-01-2010 16:31

Hi Rab, having had holidays here for 26 years we always dreamed of living here. Hubby had been retired for a few years when i was able to take early retirement so we took the bull by the horns and made the move. We are now living the dream. My basic spanish is improving all the time, our neighbours are all locals and are very warm and helpful and the expat community also look out for each other so we have the best of both worlds.
Unlike in the UK we feel safe and of course the winter is a very short one here. :D

eleanor 31-01-2010 16:46

Sparky, I am so really pleased that you are so happy in PP. I have thought about this quite a lot over the past few hours and actually I have concluded that the time I would not want to be in PP is perhaps the height of the season. August I feel could be too busy and too hot! If I lived permanently I would return to UK at that time to visit family!

Totally agree re locals too. I have been very lucky that I have spent most months of the year at the villa. We own in a residential area of Gotmar (Gommar) We have English who live full time, Germans and Mallorca Locals living very close to us and I have got to say they are lovely - all nationalities without any doubt. Everyone has made us feel very welcome and included.

I know that had we lived our dream and moved permanently we would have felt very much included and continued to make many lovely friends. PP is truely a great place and I feel although it didn't work out for us due to personal reasons, it is a wonderful place to live. On the limited experience I have - would I recommend? - Yes - without doubt.

gary 01-02-2010 01:59

I know a lot of people when they fall in love with an island they have dreams or aspirations of moving/retiring there; me being one; I cant help but say this post is truely depressing due to the realism of most people who have either lived/tried to live the dream or own a home here, and most comments are on the negative side as to residing permanently; whilst I am not judging opinions, in fact, they are extremely important, i cant help but feel saddened and confused :( I understand the links to home, thankfully so, but a two hour flight is not that long. Is it that pp doesnt have it all, or would the same opinions apply to all destinations?

disheartened

Gary
(can we have 1000 clones of sparky please:D:D:D)

Smiddy 01-02-2010 12:37

Gary, I can't see even one negative point about PP on this thread:confused:, the threads' question was "be honest" which is what everone is doing. Think you'll find anybody who would not want to live there permantly would dearly love to spend much more time there.

Belladonna 01-02-2010 12:49

As long as the finance and health matters are sorted out, I'm sure the next reason that stops people emigrating anywhere is family connections. Its fine being away for a couple of months, (I expect!)but any longer and I for one know that I just couldn't cope.
You do have to do a huge amount of research beforehand and be absolutely sure that your work / social life ideas will fit into where you intend to settle - at all times of the year.
We are not all totally au fait with the ways of foreign countries, and I don't relish the idea of not knowing straight away where to go to for help or assistance when things go wrong. I'm not even sure of that living here, but at least I can speak the language fluently - unless I'm connected to a "help line", but thats another problem!
It is great that ex pat areas develop and I'm sure that a lot of people find that very comforting with the inclusion of the various authorities that are bi-lingual to help. As long as they dont turn into El Dorado's!
IF I ever thought about emigrating, I would definately not burn all bridges back home. I also love the idea of waiting for something lovely to do almost as much as actually doing it, so being able to what I wanted when ever I wanted would turn me into a very spoilt person.

I may just have to rethink everthing again actually!!:rolleyes:

kate1 01-02-2010 17:34

If my husband can take early retirement, and when we no longer have certain family commitments, we will be there like a shot! It's been our dream now for 15 years... Personally, I look forward to the milder, quiet winters - not sure I'd want to stay in August when it is SO hot and busy - but I just find it so civilised and peaceful compared to the UK. I am very much hoping that our girls will want to move out there too when grown up - perhaps find themselves nice Mallorquin partners - after all, the Spanish make the most loyal husbands in Europe...

eleanor 01-02-2010 18:59

I think it is perhaps easier to move when the children are younger as they will integrate more easily with the locals through school and clubs. The problem leaving it until the kids are older, say teenage, is that they already have their friends and activities. They do not rely so much on Mum or Dad and they know their own minds. I think it is much more difficult for teenage kids to make the move especially if they have a language barrier.

Over the years we have met many who have decided to move over on a permanent basis. I think it all down to timing and getting it right. I have only heard of one person return to the UK. That person was very very happy in PP but his wife was not. They came back to England and split anyway - perhaps it wasn't PP .......

romanb 01-02-2010 20:38

We have been visiting Pollensa for over 30 years and although we would like a second home and regret not buying when we first visited and prices were considerably cheaper would not move permanantly. For the same reason as most others have said friends and family our first grandchild was born last year, we see him once or twice a week our parents most weeks as well as our friends on regular basis I know it is only a two hour flight but with time to get to airport etc it would not be the same. I do feel safe where we live and my life here is pretty special it would be too hard to leave it all behind.

med777 02-02-2010 00:15

I love PP but I love Scotland too and just couldnt do the whole thing !
Totally envious and admire those who have, cos there is definately a special something extra when visiting out of season, sorta a wee bit closer to feeling like NOT a tourist !

Miriam :)

Belladonna 05-02-2010 11:18

Anyone thinking of relocating to Mallorca, or indeed any EU country, or if you are already there, take a look at todays on-line Daily News from Majorca paper linked on the home page regarding registering at the town hall.

ray 05-02-2010 21:54

I wanted to move ,have had property in PP for about 20years but when I moved I relocated to the old town. fantastic community,loads of fiestas, walk the streets at any time of the night no problems, have never encountered any violence. The people are relaxed about life etc.People are right though, if you want to keep,or feel the need to keep a base in the UK you dont really want to move permanently. I sold up in the UK and moved here with no job,Im not retired but I speak the language and work and enjoy the quality of life here. There are loads of young people here(no i dont include myself!) who live and work here,send their kids to the local schools etc and generally enjoy a very relaxing way of life.:cool:

Yveee:) 22-02-2010 20:05

It says to be honest and thats what I am going to be. [I]f the question had been asked 4 or 5 years ago my answer would be a yes. After my last experience there, im sorry to say that it would be a no. PP just is not the place it used to be in my eyes :(